DR-WU TP-07 Prime Arcee's blasters

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Cheem The Rup, Sep 11, 2012.

1. phoenix88

phoenix88 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    awesomeness. these might pop my dr.wu cherry. now to bring FE Arcee out here to grad school with me after thanksgiving

2. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Fakebuster's versions are a bit more detailed. The only cons would be that you have to paint it yourself and they don't cover the hands fully. They're ~$10 on shapeways.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So to reiterate, Dr. Wu's version has two things going for it if you can wait for the release: prepainted and they cover the hands fully.

3. SlaveToLogic

SlaveToLogic Logic > Megatron

News Credits:
    Why must everyone make these for the FE mould!?!?!

Please give me some for the PRID mould. Which is more accurate except the colour. :/

4. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Looks good, but I actually prefer the RID Arcee to the FE Arcee.
    Oh well...

5. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Good find. Can't be too careful after after fakebusker's designs for DOTM Megatron's shotgun and the hands for Leader Optimus Prime were stolen and then sold by 3Ps. Dr. Wu's Arcee blasters appear to be original in their design and molding, so I'll be picking these up.

As for the FE and RID debate, I like both figures; they each have their pros and cons but the FE has grown on me and looks great opposite Voyager Starscream (another scale oddball).

6. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    You know we can talk about "original design" all we want from fakebusker's stuff, but in my opinion, they are still leeching off of him.

The design doesn't have to be the same. The details is just a superficial change. But the underlying engineering design is the same about how it interacts with the figure.

So basically, they took the idea and the implementation from fakebusker, mod it a little superficially in terms of detail, and called it their own.

7. Raiju

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    To be fair, they're going off on the same show design for the same figure, so some similarities are bound to crop up. (Technically both are in the wrong for infringing on HasTak IP but that's a whole other topic altogether.) This doesn't look like an obvious straight copy of fakebusker's design like the shotgun and knuckle hands were.

8. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Yeah, I suppose you are right.

But I just can't get over the feeling that Dr. Wu is just like reading fakebusker's thread and just like "oh here's a good idea lets do it".

9. CobramusPrime

CobramusPrime energon on the rocks

Yes!!! I knew if I waited long enough someone would get it right, now if Dr. Wu would make some show accurate (pre-painted of course) stingers.

10. Raiju

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    It is what it is. The Internet is a double-edged sword. Dr. Wu's stuff has been pretty good so I don't think they'd start going down the road of straight KOs just yet when they've (or he? hard to believe it's just a single guy behind Dr. Wu as someone might have mentioned) given us original molded stuff so far.

11. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm all over these! Like others have said, I just wish they were for the PRID mold instead.

As someone who owns FB's Shapeways blasters I can say they represent a nice mid-point between Dr Wu's effort and something Hasbro might produce, but still don't cut the mustard. I'd much rather have Dr Wu's set- they are pre-colored and appear to cover the hand much better than FB's. Nothing against FB's set as it's nice, but Dr Wu seems to have cracked the code (as it were) on how to do this set right!

12. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    well, I mean, shapeway items are expensive and rough.

So yes, on one hand I am glad for these. I will also give Dr. Wu credit for their Prime Prime blasters and matrix sword, but it doesn't mean I don't feel some of their product ideas are a bit shady in terms of originality in design.

I am glad they make mass production version.

13. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I fail to see how Wu's work steals from fakebusker. (Let me rephrase... On this item, in particular.)

The only thing that has them being alike is that they're weapons for Arcee that mount on her arms. Big difference is the Wu weapons are professionally produced, painted, mount in various and different ways onto the figure. Fake's don't connect the same way, aren't professionally produced (that's not a dig, btw, just point out a legitimate point), aren't painted and feel more like a garage kit (from what I'm told) and these look to be more of a toy feel.

The only thing they have in common is the same overall idea: Weapons for Arcee. The similarities stop right there. The only links people see are the ones they make in their minds. Flawed links.

14. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ew, First Edition Arcee.

15. jogproof

jogproof Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
  16. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Oh yes ... fuck yeah.

17. Prime Evil

Prime Evil Renegade

I'm in for a set of these!!

18. philipjreed

philipjreed Well-Known Member

I hear this quite often and am curious each time. Have you tried the "polished" option at Shapeways and seen any quality change?

19. Mixmastah

Mixmastah Scientist

News Credits:
    Huh never really noticed how uncommon FE Arcee is o_O  Im glad its for FE and not PRID I preffer my FE

20. Jerrymiru

Jerrymiru TF Ninja

Sweet