Dr. Wu replacement face for Protector

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by process, Oct 29, 2011.

1. G1Jetfire

G1Jetfire Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I concur!

2. Protoman

Protoman The Legendary One Veteran

News Credits:
    The only question I have is where do I throw my money!?

3. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    I still have no problem with the face he comes with, but that looks good, and the idea of a goggled face sounds even better!

4. JinSaotome

JinSaotome Banned

Ebay:
    LMAO, upgrades for upgrades. So when are we going to see an upgrade for this face too?

5. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Sliding the face on Protector down a bit does seem to help a great deal with the look I agree.

If a consumer just buys a City Commander Trailer and takes it out of the box sticks it on Ultra Magnus like a plastic robot version of The man in The Iron Mask and never touches it again.

Then any kind of upgrade to those trailers might have limited appeal, However I consider him like Energon or Armada or even DOTM - he's a thing unto his self that can ever be enhanced and improved by buying more stuff to stick on it. the more stuff the better.

Also my thinking is also that then they give those trailers a Human scale sidekick just like Protector has his own little pal Sidearm.

Go look through the feedback thread for City Commander or Shadow Commander and you can see lots of additions and how people think it's improves their enjoyment of their toys.

As for the TFC dinosaurs not being Dinobots the answer to that is they both are and they are not much as some Diaclone or Brave toys are Transformers and yet they are not.

I put them in that sort of category - besides if they are Transformers or not is sort of not the point it's that they are Dinosaurs (which are cool) they are Robots (which is also cool) and they combine (which is really cool).

If not being a Transformer and yet combining dicounts somethings merit then why do collectors pay Hundreds of Dollars for the Go Bot Combiner Puzzler or the Dinosaur Rocklord Combiner. ?

Because they are cool toys in their own right. anyway I'd always encourage a Transformers fan to spend money of third Party Transforming Robots over Figuarts,Busou Shinki, or some such other Otaku trend people like to loudly push. unless your on your way out the door in Transformers hobby terms, or a fan of just the media - something like the TFC creations keep you in the Robot zone, Buying other trendy nerd-toys might not do that if your spending your money on Tiger and Bunny you are not reinforcing your Transfandomness as much.

6. Kuma Style

Kuma Style I'm boney. I'm boney; Leave me aloney! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yea, I like what it does for protector, but on Scythe, it's not as hot with the monster mask. The brow doesn't really "work" like it does for that face, ya' know?

haha. It does really have a "mecha" look, so I completely understand why people would want something a bit more American, but I'm really into that style, so when I saw it I was like, "oooooooooooo... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!" haha.

Add-ons are great. I own the PE ultimate form bots, and only removed them because they literally became too much. My only thing is that the junkion heads are ugly square blocks out of 1986. They just don't overall mesh with the aesthetic of a modern toy (Headrobots did a much better job with hardhead because they made is specifically to mesh with a classics mold).

I think a sidearm would be cool, but I'd want it to be something like a front grill ala powered convoy. I don't really know what it'd be for robot mode, since the eject/rewind figures already turn into guns?

Dude, they're not meant to be dinobots or likeness to dinobots at all, and that was my point. I can't even really respond to this because I really don't know where you're going with it.

My point was that they are not in any way, shape, or form meant to be representations of the Dinobots from TF, and people should like them for what they are, instead of giving them critiques for something they aren't even meant to be.

7. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    They were specifically designed to be a mix of the old Dinozaurs line and the Transformers Dinobots. also the Starcats combiners (both of them) are cross compatible with Goliath so you can swap an arm or leg .

The Starcats main robot isn't really supposed to be The Protectobots either but it's something that takes some design cues from various Rescue themed Braves with a little influence from Defensor too.

They are not straight copies of the Dinobots (though if you put the tail kibble on them they look a fair bit like a bunch of G2 Dinobots (as I think they are not intially Dinobots colours).

But people might see them more as a homage if they make them in Dinobots colours too it's sort of like that Hexatron thing it comes decorated like a Transformer and like a Brave too the Starcats are going to have a default colours that are based on the Brave toys look and the Dinozaurs look but both will likely get repaints (the Protectobots colour one has already been muted). so I fully expect a Dinobots repaint too.

I would also say that both the T-rex and the Flying one look more like Swoop & Grimlock than Energon Grimlock & Swoop do... but then that's not to hard there's some Zoids and some Power Rangers toys that remind me a lot of the Dinobots too.
    anyway go look at the Starcats pics thread on the Fullmetal Hero site : http://www.fullmetalhero.com/conten...biners-megathread-all-up-date-info-here-2167/ and imagine the dino-robots mech modes with the sword kibble in the traditional places and then squint a bit they really are not so far removed as you might think at first.

8. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Where is this stated? Who is Goliath?

Anyways, the fact that they use the same style of combiner ports does NOT make them meant to be Transformers homages, because the company uses with another toy that is meant to be one. It's just much more sensible and feasible to use a port style that you're already used to and accustomed to.

If you want to use them as TF dinobot homages, then more power to you, but at the same time, it's not fair, as I stated to judge them or have expectations for them based around something that they're not at all ACTUALLY purposed to be: I really don't know how many more ways I can restate that point?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  9. fabexmax

fabexmax Well-Known Member

News Credits:

TJ, he means Hercules.

10. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Yea, I got it after I wrote that, and responded as such, but forgot to go back and edit that part off.

11. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

12. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Visored/sexy mask face:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Looks pretty good.

14. ahro23

ahro23 Omnibot

Seibertron posted up a preorder link at RK for these faces and I have to admit, they look a LOT better with paint. I think a lot of the face details were kinda blurry (for lack of a better word) with the original and the details look very sharp in this kit (mouth, nose, chin, etc). I'm still not digging the way the visor was implemented but I understand why they did it.

Link: robotkingdom.com -- Online Toys Company

15. sodawilly

sodawilly Old School fan since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Got my set preordered today from RK. =)

Thanks for the heads up!

- Gregg

16. locidm

locidm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  17. twiztidRodimus

twiztidRodimus Shattered Glass Autobot

News Credits:
    18$ for two faceplates, when I JUST spent 100$ to get classics rodimus and protector? I think not.

18. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    $18 plus shipping for 2 faces when you can get 2 kup HEADS and a screwdriver shipped for $`12? No thanks.

I like it and would like to own it but will keep an eye out to see if it survives long enough to get to clearance.

19. twiztidRodimus

twiztidRodimus Shattered Glass Autobot

News Credits:
    Agreed. This is the kind of stuff that puts people off of third party stuff. They know DAMN well its not worth 18$ plus. They are probrably making a killing in profit. Like other companies I know that over price (ahem reprolabels ahem)

20. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    I don't get why people want this at all. I see hardly any differences from the original face to this. Maybe a little longer, but just pull the face plate down a tad and it looks fine. Even if you don't pull it down it still looks great. You'll really only end up paying for the other face....lame.