Dr. Michio Kaku: Japans Nuclear Reactors-Ticking Time bombs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Flashdisk, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Flashdisk

Flashdisk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Has anyone watched this video:

YouTube - Fukishima DOOM from mainstream scientists! He even has relatives EVACUATING JAPAN!

Some of the points I found interesting is that the scneario in Fukushima and Daichi nuclear plants is like hanging from a cliff with your finger tips. He also believes that not all relevant information are getting to the public. And various countries may see the problem as bigger than what's being let on by some of the poeple in charge in Japan. He thinks that the Japanese military may have to get involved.

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

This does seem to be getting more dreadful as the days pass. But evacuating Japan? The whole island chain? Isn't that a bit much?

I've loved Japanese culture my whole life and I've always been fond of the close relationship we have with Japan over here in the states, I just wish there were something more we could do to help.

3. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Geebus.......*sigh*....:(  I have no words.....

4. coppertop5150

coppertop5150 Well-Known Member

actualy this is how godzilla became..

Godzilla's egg was exposed to radio active rays... a earthquake cuased the egg to hatch...

on a serious side... the plant has been leaking / running off radio active water into the ocean... Thats something that will affect the entire world.

if you do a internet search you will see after ww2 in the 1950's alot of babies were born with birth diffects/deformed around the atomic bomb sites. It was due to the radiation

I bet the same will happen this time as well

5. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This guy is a regular on coast to coast a.m. He's an expert in theoritical..string theory

6. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Dr. Kaku is very adept at explaining complex ideas in relatively simple terms. I remember reading (well, sort of) his book Hyperspace back in the day at the suggestion of my 6th grade teacher. Fascinating.

7. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

Dr. michio is my jesus.

8. Subotnik

Subotnik Please Stand By.

Like most talking heads on the media circuit, the only information Dr. Kaku has access to is what's already freely available in the public arena and supplied by the groups accused of hiding or downplaying the severity of the situation. Everything else is opinion, misinformation and speculation pandering to the fears of the audience for the sake of publicity.

Simply being Japanese doesn't make him more of an expert. I'd listen to him when it comes to string theory, not nuclear incident response.

9. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Being an accomplished physicist doesn't hurt.

10. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

Thank you.

11. Subotnik

Being a theoretical physicist still doesn't make him an expert in nuclear engineering, reactors, or incident response.

12. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    This. I mean, Dr. Kaku's awesome, but just because you're a theoretical physicist doesn't automatically make you smart at figuring out how nuclear reactors work. Heh, must have gotten his degree from the same school as the jokers at NASA who claim Pluto isn't a planet.

I'm confused, is this nuclear problem under control or not? The media seems to be switching from "oh yeah, everything's gonna be fine" to "ZOMG WORSE THAN CHERNOBYL!" and back at the drop of a hat.

13. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

I have kinda fell behind on the news there, but those kinda things are really not easy to just fix, I am not a fan of "world wide" groups of anything, but a world wide group of folks who are super experts at nuclear reactor problems and are equipped with planes to fly anywhere along with whatever tools they need to fix the problems with proper multinational funding and representation would actually be really fantastic.

14. Subotnik

They'll get it under control eventually, but like any large scale industrial disaster it's a long, slow, careful process. Just look at the Chiba oil refinery. It took them ten days to put out that fire and even then it was only because it ran out of fuel.

15. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    So..why haven't they just gone the Chernobyl route and sanded and concreted them up?

16. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I love his Science of Sci-Fi series. Especially when he built a robot.
    Just wish he would "build" a Transformer.

17. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It still has to cool down or a massive meltdown will occur.

18. Subotnik

Because that's the absolute last resort for the worst case scenario. If possible they'll want to get the situation under control, decontaminate, and dismantle the reactors rather than bury them and hope for the best.

Chernobyl had to be buried because the reactor had no containment and the core was left sitting there completely uncovered, on fire, and exposed to the air for two weeks while convection from the fire forced massive amounts of contaminated material up into the atmosphere. It doesn't get much worse than that.

19. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

<--- I'm jealous.

:( 

He's pretty amazing though.

But yeah, to say this is one hell of a doomsday scenario is a bit of an understatement.

20. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Watching this series for the first time. It's pretty good. I was hoping he'd show that teleporter in Australia on the teleporter.