Dr. Claw as Soundwave

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Lazerwave, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    (Giant Sand Tiger Head) You mean the Cave of Wonders?

2. Baird

Baird bug-stomper

It's a real shame they left out the vocoder effect, and from the reviews I've read he has no visor or mouthplate either.:(  Soundwave should have at least as many G1 cues as movie Prime does. The Dr. Claw voice without the effect would have worked well for a different character.

3. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Well-Known Member

Yes.

4. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    Actually, I've been hearing from more TFW member's reviews, and most of them say he has a thin red visor but you DO see his eyes nonetheless. Aw well, maybe in Transformers 3, he'll be just like Prime; normal face while talking...classic mouthplate face while battling. That would be pretty damn cool actually. :D 

5. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

No vocoder is used from what I hear, but is there any kind of synthesizing whatsoever on Soundwave?

6. Colonel Manface

Colonel Manface Well-Known Member

Nope, he has the mouth plate. It just moves when he talks and the lighting isn't great (being in space and all), so it's a little hard to tell.

7. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Acctually it sounded like Hugo to me when I first heard it, I think he does a better Megatron voice than Welker. (Go ahead and shoot me)

8. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Thank you, thank you, thank you. So many people either haven't gotten that message yet, or seem to forget it.

So, technically folks, we have gotten what we asked for, G1 Soundwave. Vocoder or not, that's him.

Not at all, man. You're entitled to your opinion. And you're correct, actually. Welker works great for the original Megatron, and that's great. The original Megatron and Optimus Prime will always have a special place in our hearts, no matter what we think of G1. He just doesn't work for Bayverse Megatron, Animated Megatron, Beast Wars, RID, Beast M....you get the idea. He worked well for ONE, and even though he's considered a voice God, he's one man. He can only do so much, and what he can't do, someone else can definitely fill the void.

Hugo Weaving just so happens to have that ability, and it works well.

I have my issues with the Bayverse (sometimes to the point of bias), but I won't fault the TFs or their voice actors. In fact, I looooove movie Ironhide's voice. Ratchet's is another good one. Jazz's was a bit much, I think they could've dialed it down a bit, but it wasn't a fail worthy bit either. Cullen and Weaving were excellent. Simply excellent.

9. JDF

JDF Well-Known Member

I was hoping that the voices would be super processed. I think they sound way better. They are SUPPOSED to be robotic for crying out loud. The two best voices in the 1st movie were easily Starscream and Barricade, and they were the best because they sounded what you'd think evil robots would sound like.

I'd hate the 'bots to just be regular people voices like a frickin' Pixar movie or something..

10. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't know what is more awesome in that clip. The fact that they forgot to modify soundwave's voice for the last part of it, or the part with ravage bursting through the front window using chip as a human battering ram.

I'm sure there have been other clips where they didn't modify the voice as well, but I can't remember the specifics at the moment. It's good for a laugh though when they do forget

11. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    no, this is not true at all. don't know what was wrong with your cinema manface, but it was very well lit and detailed in mine.

he has no visor, just a barricade-like set of about 6 eyes, and also it isn't a faceplate - it looks like one initially, but as soon as he starts talking it all splits up into insect-like mouthparts, same as demolishor:

[​IMG]

he's still recognisable as soundwave, but that's not really the point - based on the number of obsessives who still remember details of all of the supporting characters from an 80s cartoon, and the number of people who must have watched the movie to generate those opening weekend figures, the vast vast majority who this film was made for are not the kind of people who care who soundwave is let alone wether or not he has a visor.

it's like a hardcore gamer complaining that there aren't enough buttons on the wii-mote - that's not really the point of the thing.

12. Brakescream

Brakescream F&@king Twist Ties!

News Credits:
    He definitely has a visor. It's thin, but it's there. His eyes are lit up behind it. He has 4 pupils.

13. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Well-Known Member

No, but don't you see?! It has to be EXACTLY how it was in 1984; Monotone and Robotic with a metallic ting. If it doesn't, then it doesn't count.

14. Brakescream

Brakescream F&@king Twist Ties!

News Credits:
    Well it's monotone :) 

I've heard (although not seen myself) that they forgot to add the vocoder effect to Welker's voice a few times in the G1 cartoon, and That's essentially what G1 SW's voice is. Dr Claw put through a vocoder.