Downsizing - Anyone Else Done This?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by llamatron, Jul 1, 2008.

1. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hey guys and dolls,

I'm thinking about downsizing my collection. Just wondering if anyone else has contemplated and/or done this. Basically, I've got around 500 TFs but I've realized that I don't really care about 95%+ of the RID/A/E/C stuff. I'm thinking about selling off most of that stuff and a bunch of non-show BW/BM guys. Could be around 100ish figures I'd be getting rid of. The problem is though that figures from around that era are pretty much worthless and there's no demand for them, so it may actually be hard to get rid of them. I don't know if I would regret it either. Anyone else been in the same position?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  2. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I don't sell anything but doubles now. Between the fact that I don't need the money and I wouldn't get much anyways, I worry that in twenty years when they are difficult and expensive to obtain I'll miss 'em. No upside to selling 'em, potential downside later on.

3. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I'd say do it if and only if you need the space AND money. I'm going on a year of trying to sell shit and I'm still only half done. And my prices have been low (and in the US) from the beginning.

4. therealjondoe

therealjondoe Well-Known Member

i say if you are trying to maximize profit,wait till the next movie drops.
    Then throw them on ebay.

5. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

I need the space more than the money. But tis a lot of work to dig everything out, organize/take pics, list on Ebay or in the exchange, and make multiple trips to the post office, all for little payoff. In storage it stays until I do need the money, demand increases, or my closet collapses into a black hole.

6. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    I've done it with my GI Joes, I had the complete 25th Anniversary line variants and all waves 1-5 and sold them so that I could get some uber rare bots. While I do enjoy the bots that I bought with the money, it didn't take long for me to regret selling my Joes to do it. I should have waited and got the money through other means. I've spent quite a bit of money over the last month or so rebuilding my Joe collection, but a lot of that stuff I'll never be able to get back especially the variants like yellow Stalker MOC.

My advice: if you're having any kind of doubt in your mind at all, don't sell them. You always have the option of putting them in storage bins and getting them back out later if you want them, but if you sell them that's not an option. (I should have listened to the guy that told me the same thing, ah well... es la vida)

7. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I just downsized my collection at TFCon recently. Was great too as in one swoop I cleared out all my RiD, Armada, Energon, and a ton of excess BW stuff I had in one day :D 

But ya I've been in the same boat recently and in the past 6 months and after TFCon I've pretty much halved my collection as like you I've pretty much come to the realization I dont really need a lot of the stuff and am happy just to clear a lot of it out.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  8. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    Downsize what? Never!!!! I think I would end up regreting it later, so I just can't get myself to do it.

9. D-Compose

D-Compose wCw United States Champ

News Credits:
    I've downsized my collection soooo many times in the past 14 years, it's insane... oddly enough, I always end up with more then what I had to begin with each time I did so :) 

10. Melkava

Melkava Well-Known Member

Suggest offloading them to someone you know. So in the event you want them back down the road, it ll be easier.
    I cleared my entire collection couple of years back, & now hunting them back is a slow & painful task.
    Doesn't sound like you need the money, why not just really packed them away for permanent storage?

11. Firecracker

Firecracker Born in a wind tunnel

News Credits:
    I sold almost everything! 12 months ago I had close to 300. I went down to just 6 Transformers at the start of this year. I've slowly bought a couple since and now I'm upto 20. However, I can't bring myself to horde, in fact I just sold some last night. If I'm not completely sold on a toy it goes up for sale... which in turn I can use the funds to buy something else.

12. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't really need the money, it's more a matter of space and lack of interest in those series. I'm not sure yet, I have a feeling I might regret it.

13. Firecracker

Firecracker Born in a wind tunnel

News Credits:
    Well, my reasoning is if I don't 'play' with them I don't keep them. If they are just gonna sit on a shelf collecting dust what is the point. Just cover any regrets with Animated :p 

14. Kingplay

Kingplay Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    downsizin, yeap

15. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

Totally downsizing. Still in doubt of what I should sell and what I should keep for my son, but my own collection got very reduced.

16. Seaspray

Seaspray TFW2005 Supporter

I understand exactly what you mean. I decided to pack most of my A/E/C stuff up. I don't think I'll sell but a couple of big totes don't take up much room and gives me a ton more space for Classics/Animated.

17. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm constantly downsizing, but only to make room for newer stuff. I love Animated so far, I love classics and I integrate them with A/E/C. But everytime a new character is introduced in classics I get rid of the A/E/C character with the same namesake. Sounds silly, but if you add all those molds together you have an awesome update of G1 with lots of cool features.

I sold most of my G1 collection years ago so I can get money for my drumset.

Sold RID without blinking (except Scourge and RailRacer) Sold all my BM, and kept only the show characters from BW. Sold my alternators cause I like classics better.

Ya gotta make room and sometimes ya need the damn money. Sell what you can do without. You can always buy em back at a later date if you have regrets.

18. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

any spare Thundercrackers? Like the Timelines version for somewhat reasonble price?

19. Lone_Decepticon

Lone_Decepticon Well-Known Member

Ive downsized about twice.. and both times I raised a few Gs, which really tripped me out.

20. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I have recently started downsizing and only sold about 15 or so figures. It's gonna take longer than I thought to fully getting rid of the toys I no longer care for. I am aiming at reducing 1/4 to 1/3 of my collection so it's gonna take awhile to get there. Ebay is evil cuz they charge too much listing fee and on top of that you have PayPal taking a share of it every time I get payment so I've been putting the items here and craiglist and hope for the best.