Down III

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eyeballkid, Nov 6, 2007.

1. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

Anybody like this band!? Balls out fucking heavy metal with some real soul. They gotta new album out! Show some support!

I meant the title to say down III...

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Do I like Down? That's the most coherent thing you've ever posted. I fucking LOVE Down! Pepper and Phil FTMFW. Thanks for the heads up on the new album.

3. Numlock

Numlock Starving Artist

Been into Down since probably '95/'96 maybe... "NOLA" is a legendary album that has well stood the test of time. Solid songs, coherent vocals, crisp clean production... Temptations Wings, Lifter, Stone the Crow, Bury Me in Smoke... instant classics!

Then came out "Bustle In Your Hedgerow" and well... the songs became jam like, the production quality became mud, the vocals were incoherent, and the songs all just blended into one...

But ya know what? Although on the first listen it didn't leave me with that "punched in the face, you will remember this forever" feeling it DID "grow on me". And in time it became one of those albums you listen to on long car drives and enjoy as a whole... not individual songs...

To me at least.

And "Over the Under" is pretty much a continuation of that. Had I not already been into Down, I doubt this would make me a fan... no one song has the strength of any NOLA track... but as a whole, it's enjoyable and makes more sense.

That's my opinion at least. Down III is good... pick it up if you have Down II, or are interested in giving it a couple listens and getting a good album to absorb over time. But I'd personally welcome a return to the NOLA "Classic Memorable Metal Songs" sound over the "Stoner-Jam-Groove-Blues-Rock-Metal" sound any day.

4. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah I like them a good bit, but don't listen to their stuff regularly. I still haven't checked out this one either, I'm getting to it though.

5. Grimlocks Pretender Shell

Grimlocks Pretender Shell mmmm...energon

Down are one of the greatest supergroups ever! I need the 3rd album in my life!