Down goes the value.....

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Chronosprime, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Chronosprime

Chronosprime Well-Known Member

So I look to ebay from time to time to see if there is anything in my colleciton I want to unload while prices are high....last two items was Costco Exclusive BB that I sold for 120.00 just prior to it being spotted at every Marshalls for 34 and Bruticus ROTF for 120.00. But the majority of items in TF world *(outside of G1) have seemed to have tanked. Are others noticing this? I mean classics always will sorta be up there and for whatever reason Shadow Command Megs will have to peak soon, but the remainder....wow...good time to buy a entire collection like Animated as cheap...

thoughts?

2. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    third party.

3. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

Probably the fact that there's no movie hype to rattle up the wallets of casual collectors.

4. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    what exactly has tanked besides stuff that recently hit bargain shops?
    I wouldn't call a rotf bruticus set "tanking" when it can still sell for 4x what it originally retailed, either.

5. skiss

skiss Crash and Burn

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like this answer. :thumbs2: 

6. Chronosprime

no bruticus I meant sold for a solid amount and was happy for that but just meant...animated, all movie lines, exclusives....seems they have dropped off and I do agree no movie hype=lower values.

7. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    We're coming gown to a normal level after an inflated movie hype period lasting five years. Third party / add-on kits do more to drive up prices, but only on very selected items.

Plus it's the month after Christmas, the UK and the US have never really recovered from a recession and a massive drop in stocks which have wiped out lot's of theoretical money, no to mention the "benefit" of quantitative easing, and the fact that many a hardcore fan have just plunked upwards of $1k for flights, hotels and Botcon tickets. We're all feeling the pinch.

8. Big Dawg

Big Dawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    what is with all the thread's lately speculating on the future value of mass released toys... yeah, they're toys- if you are worried about the long term investment valule you are doing it wrong.

9. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Such as anything that gets new limbs or battle armor :D 

10. Chronosprime

I understand your point and agree, I just sell some stuff and don't look at them as investments, just surprised by fluctuations lately.

11. Toyzaremine

Toyzaremine Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This whole Transformer thing was always a fad, probably go the way of the Beanie Baby

12. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    Idk what's tanked. In the last month, my Warbot defender was over a hundred, the FP limbs for bruticus was over a hundred, and now I'm looking at even more for a ROTF target exclusive bruticus set for over a hundred! So IMO, nothing's tanking on eBay for me. Although I wish it was.

13. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

movies overhype, stagnant world economy, people worrying about keeping their crappy jobs and next month's rent, botcon attendees dropping at least a grand to go..etc there's simply not enough disposable income right now so demand is just low low low. i guess you can make profit if you buy them on sale, hold them for 5 years when they're out of print and charge double what you paid for, that is if you want to run it like a business with associated inventory managements.

14. flamepanther

Defender should come down some from the $150-200 range where I last saw it, once the new batch is released.

15. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

The new costs over a hundred so it probably won'tt affect the price that much.

16. flamepanther

Would you buy the $200 one while the $108 one is available? The $150 one? I think a drop of $50 to $100 is substantial enough.

17. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly...there are alot of fans out there who buy thing purely because they are hot or in. Then when the fad passes or a year or two after the line ends they loose interest or regret purchasing items and dump them. Once you complete aline and it just's there collecting dust it's easy to loose interest in the items and be willing to drop them. Over the years I've seen this with beast wars, unicron trilogy, pretty much everything but classics and g1 encounter this. However, this is probably because most people can never finish g1 and classics hasn't ended.

18. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I like your answer MegaHavok!

Also... these toys are common. Value in a collectible comes from rarity and condition.
    While demand is key, and the movies have brought new attention to the hobby, the over saturation of these toys is always going to limit any impressive run up in price.

I mean its a quarter's worth of plastic per figure if that.

19. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    prices are not tanking on the figures i have been wanting to add to my collection- they are still pricey.

the only investing i do with toys is time and money; the only returns i expect are counted in terms of enjoyment.
    don't ever plan to sell or profit from my collection.

20. Big Dawg

Big Dawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    this is exactly how I feel about collecting, and really, how every collector should view it. Just buy what you want and save the investments for the stock market.