Double Line Figures?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Howling, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Howling

Howling I'M NOT A GUY!!!

News Credits:
    After buying Aveo Swerve yesterday :) drool:)  I started looking into transformers like him. I mean transformers that have two or more different aesthetics' like HFTD Seaspray, or ROTF Bludgeon.

So are there any more transformers like this that I'm missing?

2. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Lockdown, Hubcap, Spyshot-6 and Breacher are a few.

3. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Didn't Hasbro specifically state that Bludgeon was a left over Universe design that got shelved because of the 'too many tanks' thing that resulted in Galvatron's shrinkage?

...and Seapsray (imo) doesn't fit the ROTF or Classics aesthetic.
    It seems more ndicative of what Hasbro have planned for the line after TF3.

4. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Animated Arcee. hehehehehe

5. Xaedrahk

Xaedrahk Prime-otions!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Lockdown is pure movie, same with Hubcap IMO. They both have that "intricate looking robot wearing cobbled-together car parts for armor" look.

I think the only lined we can really compare with others here are movie and animated. Sure, lines like RID and the Unicron Trilogy had their unique gimmicks, but by and large the robot mode designs have a more solid feel to them than the half-the-interior-workings-exposed movie characters or the toon-derived Animated line.

6. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Aveo Swerve fits in well with Alternity. Do to the smooth panel to gribbly mech part layouts being a close ratio.

Hubcap and Knockout would also fit. Aestheticly for the brave lines you get on the headsculpts. With Seaspray look no further than scout breacher, and Universe Powerglide.

This may sound weird but cybertron scourges molded details I find have a lot aestheticly in common with Unicrons tech in the 1986 Transformers movie.

Breakdown, Mindwipe, and Skystalker are so neo movie. They definitely have more than one line in common. A interesting thought.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  7. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    You might want to try Mindwipe also. A lot of people consider him a hybrid also. Personaly I don't. Bludgeon, Mindwipe, Aveo Swerve, Seaspray... etc... are all movie toys. They look like movie toys. Classics look way different.

8. Rodentus prime

Rodentus prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Possibly Universe ratchet and Ironhide? A few too many panels to fit right into classics.

9. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Actually Sea Spray is classics. He has the same kind of body panel mold details that Prowl, Sunstreaker, and Ironhide do.

10. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    TBH I think the movie aesthetic has been around long enough that fans are getting used to it, hence why people can so easily say "oh yeah Bludgeon, Lockdown, etc. look Classicsish".

11. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Wreckage/Bludgeon doesn't look out of place with the Diaclones, to me at least.

The Real Gear bots could easily pass as early G1 toys.

The RID car brothers give me a Movie vibe.

12. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Anyone want to guess how long it will be before this thread devolves into bitter arguments about whether Figure A fits into this or that aesthetic? Sigh.

I wonder if Hasbro designers anticipated the hand-wringing that these so-called hybrids would engender among collectors, with our anal need to compartmentalize things?

Anyway, do yourself a favor and pick up Hubcap. There is an unreasonable amount of awesome packed into that little figure. Breacher looks like a winner too, though I haven't found him myself yet so I can't speak from firsthand experience. Both could reasonably be called hybrids, I think.

13. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Just wait for the usuals......they will come......

Personally, there are some designs to me that do fit in one area, while some others are more heavy-handed in another, and some that blend in quite nicely with either or.

At this point....everybody should just place them where they feel like they fit. Damn what packaging or designs tell them to.

14. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    Brawn and most of the game-only characters from the first movie line.

15. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Yes, that's perfect. It's exactly what I do. I don't display much of my figures but I got MP Prime, MP Grimlock, FP Bruticus, Shattered Glass Prime, City Commander, Animated Blurr, Animated Jazz, Beast Wars Terrorsaur and Rattrap displayed together just because they're cool toys and I like to play with them...

Who cares what people say. Just buy what you like and display it how you like. You don't need the approval of anyone.