DOTM Won 2 VES Awards!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Albershide, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Albershide

Albershide Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So we have the list of winners. DOTM won 2 VES awards.

Outstanding Models in a Feature Motion Picture: The Driller

Outstanding Created Environment in a Live Action Feature Motion Picture: 155 Wacker Drive

Congratulations to all involved.

Unfortunately the award for "Outstanding Visual Effects in a Visual Effects-Driven Feature Motion Picture" went to Planet of the Apes. So we can almost confirm now that DOTM won't get the Oscar for VFX.

Source: 'Apes,' 'Rango' top VES - Entertainment News, Film News, Media - Variety

• News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. blackout501st

blackout501st ultimate enforcing hound

great news! always glad to see the TF movies winning awards for their CGI. they deserve it!

3. TFtoycollector

TFtoycollector I'm British i am

News Credits:
    I knew Apes would win for VFX, but the awards DOTM did get are well deserved.

4. WTDylio

WTDylio Where is Jessica Hyde?

News Credits:
    Not necessarily, Transformers won that award back in the 2007 VES awards, yet when it came to the Oscars the award went to a bloody Polar Bear. Still though, i'd be honestly surprised if POTA didn't win at the Oscars this year

5. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, in POTA's defense- they did take the time to create a completely CG character with complex flushed out emotions- something Bay has had the opportunity to do in all three movies and passed on every time (causing many fans loads of pain and frustration). (a little bit with Bee and Optimus- but not nearly what POTA did and he should have done)

That being said, DOTM and all Bay TF movies have had fantastic visual effects. I'd love to see them win at the Oscars. Especially if this was to end up being their final go round.

6. Albershide

News Credits:
    Exactly! They didn't get the Oscar when they got the VES award. Hence you can imagine what will happen after they didn't even get the VES award. :) 
    But still the Academy is very unpredictable when it comes to technical awards, so who knows....
    After all it's an end of a franchise and they might decide to give it some kind of acknowledgment.

7. Albershide

News Credits:
    I think the apes from POTA are a step back from King Kong. Maybe they didn't have enough time and payed too much attention to the emotions.

8. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Additionally, Transformers: The Ride won the award for best visual effects in a special venue project (attraction).

Not disappointed in not winning Best Effects overall, but the Driller and the wrecked Chicago were definitely amazing and award-worthy, so props for winning there!

9. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Kuphead

News Credits:
  10. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would agree with you that the actual vfx in king kong are stronger than POTA. I don't think it has much to do with the emotions though (and I think the emotions/characters were quite strong in both).

I think it just comes down to the Jackson/WETA combination being the best there is.

Did Weta do POTA as well, I don't recall. If they did, I'll say this- I've noticed that the quality of vfx often has as much to do with the director and his understanding of how to use vfx as the actual house that does them.

11. Barricade24

Barricade24 The Decepticop

News Credits:
    Yeah I'm not suprised the Driller got an award. How can you top a giant, spikey worm of death?

12. Albershide

News Credits:
    Nope you didn't. You were 7 hours late. Don't worry it's not a big deal. :) 

13. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

damn first movie we get beat by a bunch of polar bears, and now by a bunch of apes.

what's that telling you guys?

hollywood wants beastwars! :lol 

14. Russian fan

Russian fan Proud Autobot Ally TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Yes, it may finally be on the contrary, there is no VES awards, but there is an Oscar?
    When will Hollywood stop prefer animals with fleas instead оф the noble metal of Cybertronians? :banghead: 

15. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

They won an award for the DRILLER?!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now they'll never stop doing shit like them!:cry  All pointless wastes of animation that exist for the sole purpose of making the Autobots look cool while the Decepticons look more worthless than the RID Predacons.

16. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I sorta agree with this. Rather than trying to do something more meaningful with character animation they'll probably see this as a reason to do a similar thing again next time on the off-chance it'll win an award.

17. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:
    Congrats to the team for winning these awards. :thumb 

18. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Possibly, but not necessarily. The award was for "Outstanding Model", not "Biggest Piece of Machinery that Eats Up Processing Power". Said model could've been of the towers on Cybertron, an "emoting" character like Jetfire or Optimus or, yes, of a giant action-set-piece like the driller. Basically anything that was a 3D model that they felt exhibited an extreme amount of skill and artistry. Now, with that being said; true, they could still go for a giant machine-thing a la Devastator and Driller in the future. But even if they do this it doesn't exclude more meaningful character animation. If they continue to make Transformers 4, 5, 6, 7...18, up-close and personal facial animation strikes me as something that they'll continue to strive to include and make better and more prominent.

19. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    ^ Here's hoping. I'd love to see the faces made even more emotive. And I don't mean loads of pointless gribbly bits randomly waffling about.

20. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    :lol  This. Sentinel was definitely a huge leap in the right direction, in my opinion.