Heavy/Scratch: DOTM Wheeljack WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by 12bulkhead, Aug 25, 2011.

1. 12bulkhead

12bulkhead Artist

First things first...

I WAS ABLE TO BORROW AN EXCELLENT CAMERA!

Now that that's outta the way... Remember that poll I made? Some people guessed it right. Well, now it's confirmed. I wasn't disappoitned in the least with the character Q (I probably will be with the toy, however) in DOTM. It's just that, I was expecting him to just be a different character altogether with Wheeljack.

I mean, Q (R.I.P.) and the original WJ had nothing in common except for the inventing motif.

So, anyway, this was originally a HFTD BB (obviously) which was modded to Hell - as inspired by Savio-Prime - to be more movie-accurate. After a fewdozen months, I got sick of it, and set out to turn the BB into a Stunticon of some sort. I began on scratch-building a head, and when that was done, I thought "Hey, this head looks a lot like a Wheeljack!" and so I set out to make a DOTM Wheeljack/Q reincarnation.

This is obviously not the final paint-job. I'm planning to send it to FrenzyRumble to be painted for my birthday.

PS. In conjunction to the final sentence above, this is one of those threads where people rip on the thread starter (Me) for being an immature child of only 14 years. Oh, well.

PPS. NON-TRANSFORMABLE

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. jon5000

jon5000 Tea-Drinker

I think the physical modding looks great, really quite creative.

It's just let down severely by the paint job. Especially as it turns into a car, you really want to try and replicate those smooth surfaces into robot mode. Don't burden Mr Rumble, do it yourself! :D  Even if you don't have an airbrush, try using some car body sprays and get masking!

3. 12bulkhead

12bulkhead Artist

Yeah, well, I just gotta find a decent white. If I can't, I'll turn to Mr. Rumble. Plus, the glue's not too strong.

4. Zildjian

Zildjian Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The idea and creativity behind the work is great, however the actual execution is not. We all begin somewhere, and this seems to be where you are. Some of what I see is what appears to be very rushed aspects of the project.

My suggestion...... go to the Creative General Discussion or Tutorial and How To sections on this site or come over to proCUSTOMIZERS.com and do A LOT of reading. Take notes and work slowly on your first custom. This way you will develop less frustration and really begin to enjoy making customs!

5. legolas grof

legolas grof Cardboard Industries CEO

News Credits:
    This is a great start! I think that the molding was very well done.

If you decide to paint it yourself I would recommend that you take some sand paper to that bad boy and smooth him out. Also try using masking tape, it will help you to get straighter and crisper edges to your lines. You may want to use a pinstriping brush to make to make those little lines. After you're done you may want to use steel wool on it to buff it and make it super smooth. If that is flat craft paint you're useing (like apple barrel); you will probably want to finish it off with a coat of clear gloss spray-on varnish.

6. vatarian

vatarian snide spider

you need to thin your paint.

7. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    nice work on the head.. he's looking very wheeljacky.

if you're after a nice white then just head to a car body shop, don't know the state of affairs in the US but over here you can go into any car body shop and have a choice of lots of different beautiful whites all for about $10 each

Halfords

8. 12bulkhead

12bulkhead Artist

Yeah, the only problem with this camera is that it takes such good pictures that people can see the crappy paint

9. vatarian

vatarian snide spider

:lol 

10. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

What brand of paint did you use?

11. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Th head looks perfect. Good luck with the paint wok. Remember...patience!

12. 12bulkhead

12bulkhead Artist

Patience? My brother, which one it was hasn't owned up yet, put it in the cat's bowl and it was destroyed, losing half the pieces!

13. UltraMagnus2008

UltraMagnus2008 Autobot

News Credits:
    Awesome, now you've got a clean slate to start over from.

14. 12bulkhead

12bulkhead Artist

Yeah, but 2 things:
    1) I liked the way it was.
    2) I have no other parts to use!