Dotm wheeljack/que review

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Soundwavedotm, Nov 22, 2011.

?

who likes the dark of the moon wheeljack deluxe class

Poll closed Jul 25, 2012.
  1. best figure out of dotm line

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. better than deluxe dotm soudwave

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. in scale with other dotm figures

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    That sucks. Do you think there would be any way to mod it safely? Or an alternate transformation? Can someone post pics showing some poses so we can get a good idea of what he can do?

2. blurrprime

blurrprime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    good review

3. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My buddy Chris aka Limewire wrote this review here for Transformers-Universe.com:

[​IMG]
    For more pics, click on the image above

Prelude: At first this E550 that is Que was suspected to be the new alternate mode of Jolt. When it became apparent that Jolt was missing from the prequel comics and was killed in one of the movie comics (just like the Arcee triplets and numerous offscreen characters, all of them killed by Shockwave) the speculations abounded as to the identity of this Benz. Soon an accidental leak at amazon.com revealed that it would be Wheeljack.

That should change yet again, though, because roughly 4 weeks before the premiere Wheeljack was renamed into Que. Personally I never much liked the name Wheeljack, too much G1 glorification for my taste. When it was revealed that Wheeljack was renamed into Que (Q) to pay homage to the James Bond character, I was ecstatic. Que the inventor with the Einstein look and an alternate mode mimicking a slightly tuned Mercedes Benz E550 – perfect! I really like the homage to Einstein. Einstein’s Jewish heritage gives Que’s execution during the movie a somewhat bitter taste, though, even though it was a good scene.

Alternate Mode: Que transforms into a beautiful Mercedes Benz E550. Takara did excellent work here. While the Hasbro variant (which will come out under the name Wheeljack) is just a boring black-and-blue with no details (see the various convention pics already out), Que features painted rims, an E550 marking, painted exhaust pipes and Mercedes stars. Very nicely done. The best thing, though, is that this isn’t a vehicle that almost but not quite resembles an E550 (such as the idiocy known as the almost-R8-Mimikry, called Sideways), but a real E550. The amount of visible seams is acceptable, making the figure more interesting. No real flaws... well, maybe one: the front wheels should have a been a tad less wide, so as to not stand out past the chassis. Not a big thing, though.

Robot Mode: Up front, transforming this guy without instructions was a real pain. Took me about 20 minutes until I was done. Once he stands in front of you, though, you see a beautiful Movie figure. Great sculpting, beautifully painted. The head comes in elegant silver, only the bear is turquoise instead of gold. The figure’s stability is somewhat lacking, though, mostly because of badly designed knee joints. They can barely bend, as they are hindered by the wheelhouses. The arms, on the other hand, are wonderfully articulated. Wrist articulation would have been a plus, just like some more blue paint for more movie accuracy. Then again, we are used to lack of paint in DOTM by now, aren’t we?

Gimmick: Here’s where Que really distinguishes himself in a big way. He carries 4 weapons / tools with him. First, a spear, which he sadly can’t wield two-handed because of the missing wrist articulation. In the movie you only saw it hinted at on Que’s back, but he never used it in battle. Too bad, I would have liked to see him wield it in battle against Barricade, which would have given him a nicer death, too. No dice, though.

Second, an electric screwdriver... wtf?... looks gut, but... yeah... why no boom sticks? There’s also a rivet pistol, which is also somewhat useless. But wait for it, here comes the real kicker:

A circular saw bench as a Mechtech weapon. Yeah, you read that right! Que’s gimmick is a saw, which can unfold (much like the saws of Ratchet, Leadfoot and Roadbuster). Doesn’t really fit him in my mind, even though the weapons are kind of cool. Only the spear suits him well, being the enemy of long-distance weapons. All the other stuff would have fit better with an updated Voyager-class Ratchet, though. I think I’ll repurpose them.

Conclusion: Look-wise we have a top-notch figure here, but it has some real flaws in terms of articulation, mostly because of the strange knees. Maybe I’ll find a solution to that yet. Bottom line, a clear must-have for Movie fans and completists. Maybe not the thing for other TF collectors.

Rating: B-

4. EmperorDinobot

EmperorDinobot I claim your sun!

So when does this guy and the Wrecker come out?

5. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

That head is horrifying and not in a good way.

6. TFtoycollector

TFtoycollector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Got him the other week. He's really good. It say's on the packaging that his mech tech is a tool box/saw, but i see it as more of a gun turret/saw.

[​IMG]

With his wave mate
    [​IMG]

Alt mode is great. Only thing that bugs me is his wheels stick out too much.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A bunch of good chaps
    [​IMG]

7. EmperorDinobot

EmperorDinobot I claim your sun!

Too bad he's never coming out...

8. Scypris

Scypris Fire in another hole!

News Credits:
    I got mine as well though I would put pictures up, but I dont have a good camera.. I think he is the best DOTM deluxe so far! I love him in the movie and I really love the figure I can never put him down! :)  his face is very well detailed, the paint on his face does not ruin it one bit (I got a couple figures that have blotchy paint and its difficult to make out any of their details) I give him a B+ (the only thing I dont like is the fact that you cant bend his knees backward, but he can kick himself in the face :lol ) I would recommend him to any transformers movie fan, hes alot of fun and he is a very accurate figure.:thumb 

9. Shockwave69

Shockwave69 Supreme Leader

Other then BBTS, what online sites sell Wheeljack/Que?

10. Scypris

News Credits:
    Ebay. (thats where I got mine)

11. Will Trans

Will Trans Well-Known Member

For those who have issues with Que's face, it's actually pretty movie accurate (or about as accurate as you can get with a deluxe mold). The problem is that the colors are all wrong, once you customize the colors to look closer to the movie he'll look more model accurate. The only thing here is that the molded detail is VERY small so you'd have to get a magnifier and a very small brush to do it.

Also, movie Que was pretty ugly too so it's not like he was ever a good looking bot ;) 

12. Will Trans

Will Trans Well-Known Member

Hah!

Good diorama.

13. Shmoptimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Those of you who got this toy when you could should feel lucky.

The dotm line has been so mismanaged....

14. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I'm planing on going to a local collectors convention around May so if I'm lucky I may pick up Que!

15. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Probably not much different than any of the previous lines. Not their fault that the retailers decided to overcommit and screw them over more than usual.

16. Scypris

News Credits:
    consider those who have this bot lucky.. as of right now it costs 120 bucks on ebay to get him. This is why I bought it back in late December when they said wave 6 was being "pushed back" I thoght something was fishey so I went on ebay ASAP and bought this fella, for 50 bucks.. :)  SCORE!! :D 

TRANSFORMERS MOVIE 3 DOTM DA-31 AUTOBOT QUE TAKARA - NEW & SEALED ! | eBay

I also noticed that this is the same exact person I bought it from back in December..

17. Shmoptimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    ^^^^ Still, a deluxe for $50 is not a bargain, no matter how expensive it is now.

You mean it's slightly less their fault? This has been discussed to death in other threads, but this line was very differently managed than rotf or dotm. TONS of BBs and repaints before we even finished the line of main characters?! That's not how it was for the other movie lines. That IS Hasbro's fault.

18. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    EXACTLY. Hasbro blames retailers for not ordering the last wave of their line? Simple solution: DON'T PUT MAJOR CHARACTERS IN THE LAST WAVE OF THE LINE!

Because I'm not looking to pay 5-10 times retail, I'll probably never own this guy. Oh well.

19. Scypris

News Credits:
    Hey Id rather pay 50 then 120. So its a bargain to me

20. Shmoptimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Well we all should have been paying like $13 :(