DOTM Walmart Exclusive Battle Blades Prime With Comettor Pictorial Review

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Shin Densetsu, May 19, 2011.

1. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Man, when someone figures out how to painlessly remove those stars etc., they should post it in here. And show off a pic of the results. :p 

2. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I might consider this set if it weren't for the ridiculous deco on Prime, but as it is, I'll probably pass.

3. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Once you get past the stars and moon being on him he's an awesome figure! Commetor is nice as well and I'm glad I broke down and bought the set!

4. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Of course, if you -like- the stars and moon, it's an even better buy :p 

5. nemesisconvoy

nemesisconvoy Gundam Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

He looks like 4th of July Prime.........I really do like the deco.

6. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Very true.

7. Sarrow

Sarrow Well-Known Member

This is the main reason I picked him up LOL

I wasn't going to buy *any* dotm figures, but ended up with quite a few (it all started with sentinel prime).

8. Wazdakka

Wazdakka Decepticon

This has confirmed what I knew all along. Great review, btw!

9. FakeEyes22

FakeEyes22 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So...I've been checking this site out for quite a long time, I've been on Hisstank for a few years, and I've been meaning to register here for a while.

I finally had to sign up just now so I could say how hard this post made me laugh. I've never seen the impulse of the collector's mind expressed so perfectly.

I was checking out this particular thread since I just picked up this Prime today and wanted to learn what made him special and different, and I am not disappointed! I must have missed all early reports on this guy, so it was a real treat in this day and age to find a new item I'd never even heard of!

I haven't even opened it yet, but I'm already quite satisfied with it, especially after seeing the review and comparisons. I collect Primes, but hate doubling up on the same mold, so this was great to find after I put off getting Battle Blades Prime for so long.

This way, I've got one each of the Leader and Voyager and also get to have the 2 different head styles and both weapon styles. It worked out really well.

The moon and stars don't bug me. I like some unique little touches in an ocean of Prime toys. Funny that it seems like it's supposed to be a refection of the moon, meanwhile the bio on the back says he's ON the moon.

Comettor's got kind of a G1 friendly deco, like he's a Classics version of that dune buggy mini-spy.

Finally, the dark gray plastic used on Prime reads as metal to me way more than that semi-translucent light gray Hasbro uses so often. I'd like to see more of this color instead, please.

10. PORTER

PORTER energon is just mtn dew

those moons and stars give me an idea to make him into ace frehley from kiss in a crossover figure lol!!!

they dont bother me that much, i like space =)

11. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur Well-Known Member

I have the same problem with the original mold of this figure, doesn't lock into place that good.

Awesome review, definitely picking this set up. I'll probably end up switching the truck kibble on the HftD version with the DOTM version too.
    The gold colored matrix is a nice touch and I really love the detail they put into the faceplate-less head. I'm surprised they didn't retool the chest area that would of been nice.

12. Aigis

Aigis Anti Shadow Weapon TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Saw a bunch of these today. Looks pretty stupid, but I like the mask-less head....I may get him just for the head. I like movie Prime without a mouthplate. Also, am I the only person who hates the Landmine mold?

13. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I don't hate the Landmine mold, but it's less than I was expecting. I remember when it first came out, people were comparing him to Classics Mirage in poseability, showing pictures of him balancing on one hand. Mine's (Armorhide) shoulders are too weak to actually hold such a pose. And the feet are really awkward to balance in most poses, with the cylinder toes and wheel heels. Even so, he's not terrible and there's a lot of figures I prefer him to

14. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    I've going by Wal-Mart several times, and keep looking at this set. Of all things, Comettor is the one I'm interested in. With a bit of alcohol on the side to remove the moon, some Reprolabels decals he could quickly be made into a movie version Outback/Fallback.

I typically like and go for the non-screen characters or the secondary characters. I don't have any of the movie versions of Optimus Prime or Bumblebee. As much as I've seen those two around I'd like to see some focus on other characters. When it comes to this version of Prime, it is a hard call. I love the mold, the head and the hooks instead of the swords. They are very cool touches. I can live with the stars on the hood and down the sides. What I have a really hard time with is his chest. Every time I see it, I just want to do something about it. It is like how some OCD people are with washing their hands. I want to scrub that stuff off of his chest! Why, oh why, could that stuff not been on his vehicle mode chest? Or, do a NASA licensed version with him decorated up like a NASA truck with white and blue details?

15. Quixote_Prime

Quixote_Prime is missed.

News Credits:
    I thought long and hard about the HFTD version and I just like the paint on this OP. Yes, I love daffy and bold color schemes. Yes, I prefer Classics Megs to Henkei/United Megs. Yes, I love G2. This is the movie Voy Prime for me.

16. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    I got this set today, and it has some high points, and low points.

I wanted to like Prime, but those details in the windows are terrible. His hooks/claws don't stow away well enough to allow for decent arm articulation. I love it that he has guns. His coloring is very nice, aside from the stars and those graphics on his windows. If had some other motif, like a NASA truck like I previously mentioned. I would have LOVED to seen that, or see it. Hasbro, please, do a NASA licensed Optimus Prime!

As for Commettor, the reason why I got the set, tight-ass sweet! He has some metallic paint touches on his front, gas tanks, and other places too. There have been some subtle mold changes. Where the old clear windows was with the Landmine and Armorhide mold has been replaced with a solid piece with the black windows being painted effects. There is some paint applications on him in robot mode, but I would have liked to seen more. Minus the Allspark Blue on Landmine, he had the best and most continuous paint job. Commettor does beat out Armorhide in overall appeal, and if he was sold individually (and retooled to accommodate a MechTech gun) I'd buy him again. I hope that he doesn't suffer from loose joints, but so far, so good. His joints are ALL very tight and like his body brothers he can pose in some wild poses.

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  17. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I love that prime. It's like they made the perfect deco and somebody was like "c'mon. It has to suck a little..."

18. Wes Crayon

Wes Crayon Well-Known Member

Man, Shin Densetsu totally won the QC lottery with his fig -- I've handled four of these and all of them have had glaring QC issues. Prime, that is; Comettor has been just fine.

(Though it does look like Shin's figures have one of the more annoying but less glaring problems -- that one/both of the forearm panels are wiggly loose. They're actually designed to slide back to leave the hands unguarded, but Shin's generally omitted that step. However, in the pics with the arms raised, one of the hands is partially exposed -- I'm guessing because gravity was sufficient to make it slide partly back.)

19. Nerdicon

Nerdicon Caffene=Energon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well... I"m sold. I was gonna get voyager megs but i'll grab this set first.

20. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    Do you have kids? Because I don't think the Prime mold is simple to transform at all, especially from robot to truck.