DOTM vs Battleship

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Grimlock22, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Grimlock22

Grimlock22 Some sort of artist

So 2 Fridays ago I saw Battleship and despite I being the huge TF fan I am Battleship one of the awsomest movies up their with Captain Amrica.DotM takes a back seat to it in my opinion. How do you feel.

EDIT: Cap's mentioning was only a coparason.

2. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Interner Soldier

News Credits:
    Battleship was a piece of deafining crap and Dark of the moon was meh compared to the first film in the series and Captain America was an incredibly enjoyable movie.

3. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Battleship is all style and no substance, it's clearly Hasbro trying to cash in on the Transformers popularity through another brand.

DOTM was a decent film, especially after ROTF. It's essentially just a moviefied version of the G1 two-parter "Megatron's Master Plan", but it managed to remain unique in some ways and the villain actually wasn't a contrived mess this time.

Captain America is one of the greatest movies I've ever seen, and does not deserve to be put on the same level as Crapleship.

4. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
  5. PcPrime23

PcPrime23 Filipinooooooooooooo

News Credits:
    I heard Battleship was absolute shit. Rhianna shouldn't act. But DOTM is WAY better in a lot of ways.

6. PrimesRule

PrimesRule Banned

News Credits:
    Battleship was okay.

DOTM is superior to ROTF in lots of ways but still inferior to the 2007 Transformers movie.

Captain America has nothing to freakin' do with Transformers or Battleship but it is an awesome movie.

7. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    Dark of the moon wins my vote

8. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Preferred DOTM. Especially since, y'know, I'm a Transformers fan so I can like the property more easily.

9. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    She shouldn't sing, either.

10. nicholsG1

nicholsG1 Lord of Mini-Bots

To all the people who brag about battleship being more popular than DOTM, you can suck it. Snow White and the Huntsmen made $53 million in one weekend. I know this thread isn't the right thread, but I couldn't find any other ones related to this.

11. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

BATTLESHIP could have been a good movie as what the game was all about - a war movie, and precise strategy is the key to win. They could have had some rich crime lord have all these advanced naval ships, and the US Navy has to take them out blindly. You can add more to it, but with that basic plot, at least it stays true to the game.

Whether you like the TF movies or not, they stay true to the franchise.

12. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Yeah, it would've worked very well as a straight-up, down-to-earth film about war at sea. Adding aliens was a tremendous mistake.

(biting my tongue)

13. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Interner Soldier

News Credits:
    I went in to Battleship to see a parody of the Action movie genre. I wanted a comedy spoofing adaptations. Some thing enjoyable. Some thing good.

14. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

Don't do that, it hurts. :p 

I tend to use my words loosely. I was getting at the origin and basic plot, and in all honesty, is true to the franchise. It's not like they were military robots that went haywire, or worse, a kid's collection that came to life because he wished hard enough.

15. GreednGluttony

GreednGluttony grumpy smurf

dotm: what you expect from a bay film
    battleship: what you expect from a movie based on a bored game (anyone remember that one robot chicken scetch talking about this)

16. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

An alien invasion in Dark of the Moon was a brilliant idea because the Decepticons are from another planet and the good guys need something to do in an action film. An alien invasion in Battleship just sounds like a horrible idea. I'm starting to hear "aliens are over done" more and more so Hollywood seems to wear that plot out.

Micheal Bay knows how to sell big, loud, and stupid, as we've seen from other films in recent years big, loud, and stupid isn't as easy to sell as you might think.

I'm sure I'll rent Battleship at some point, but from everything I've seen or read about the movie it's just not something I was going to rush out and pay movie theater prices to see.

17. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    Honestly I'll probably never watch Battleship. Unles I'm drunk and at a party in which case it'll probably be the best movie ever....but then again I will forger I ever saw it.

Battleship could've been a great war movie about the battles at sea because we haven't seen much of those movies.

Insted it decided to be YET ANOTHER alien invasion movie.

But even if it is an alien invasion movie it's the boring kind where the military fights the aliens. And I'm sorry but I'm bored of watching human military shooting at aliens.

In Avengers it was about a band of nutjobs in costumes with crazy powers fighting them and it was fun. In DOTM it were the giant alien robots fighting giant alien robot....in the background yes but still.

I really hope Hollywood give it a rest wiht the whole alien invasion thing it's getting boring watching earth invaded by aliens 5 times a year I mean come on!

18. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I think that's the more overdone thing than just being an alien film. There are so many more interesting ways to do an alien film than just bring out the human military to shoot at them again. Is it more realistic that when aliens land the military get involved? Sure it is. But it also gets boring pretty quickly when it happens over and over. The whole advantage of movies is to explore different things without always having to bother too much about realism.

19. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I just saw Battleship and loved it! I gave it five stars at Rotten Tomatoes. However, I liked DotM even more.
    Both I liked better than Captain America. I liked Captain America alright, but it's one of my least favorite of the Marvel movies.

20. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think you could be right. It does seem like the pattern lately for films is aliens come to Earth and the military shows up to fight them tooth and nail. It almost made Paul feel refreshing that we had a film with an alien without tanks, jets, and other military hardware to get knocked around until the alien weakness was found.

It's kind of sad though that Hollywood was lost so much creativity that when a bad guy is needed that aliens seem to be the go to bad guys all the time now. I mean heck they couldn't have GI Joe fighting the Soviets or other real world bad guys in the 80's so they invented Cobra for the good guys to fight. Is it really that hard to invent human bad guys these days?