DOTM Voyager Ironhide

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Brakescream, May 21, 2011.

1. Brakescream

Brakescream F&@king Twist Ties!

News Credits:
    Didnt see a pictoral thread for this guy and he's been out a while.

Just for note: this is my only movie Ironhide so I can't really compare him with previous incarnations.

Alt Mode
    As we all know, movie Ironhide transforms into a GMC Topkick.

[​IMG]

Some nice detailing. I particularly like they took the time to sculpt the Road Armor bodykit. Mine has slightly dodgy paint around his right headlights.

He's not without his faults in this mode though. Considering how unobtrusive Megatron, and particularly Roadbuster's Mechtech ports are, I feel Ironhide's stick out far too much and somewhat spoil the alt mode. I appreciate that 'Hide's gun is far heavier and therefore needs some extra support. So perhaps they sacrificed looks for playability here. Another bugbear is that the inside of the Mechtech port on his roof is unpainted grey plastic making it stick out all the more.

These faults I can forgive as I accept when buying toys, playability is obviously going to be a major buying motive for the kids. So the only major fault I can claim to in alt mode is this.

[​IMG]

The flatbed looks terrible, and while the engineering required to transform it into his legs is great (More on that later) I personally can't see why they couldn't have done more to make the flat bed more .....of a....flat...bed..? You know what I mean.

He has 3 Mechtech ports in alt mode. The one on his roof I complained about already...

[​IMG]
    Which to me looks kinds silly. If you ask me they should just have had the 2 on the side...

[​IMG]
    As this looks kinda cool. It's a shame they didn't pack him with 2 guns, as one each side would look good, but I guess that wouldn't be cost effective.

I don't have any Leader scale Primes, So here he is next to BB Prime.

[​IMG]

Even though Voyagers are a little smaller this time round, Ironhide is still a bit out of scale with Prime in alt mode.

Transformation

This is half awesome, half frustrating. Pretty much literally. All the frustrating parts are above the waist. His chest is quite hard to get to tab into the grey tab behind his abdomen, and if you don't get it at least nearly in, his chest is prone to popping loose, and when transforming to alt mode for the first time, I nearly broke his arms. My advice there is not to follow the instructions too closely for that bit as they seem a little off.

The legs however are really well designed and fun to transform. They also leave very little kibble.

Bot Mode

[​IMG]

Here's where I can forgive most flaws as I think he looks awesome in bot mode. His headsculpt is excellent. If you do manage to get his chest to deform and lock correctly, the results are impressive. Some have complained his legs are a bit long. They can be collapsed backward like Starscream's to make him a bit stumpier and stockier. The pic above has his legs fully extended, all other pics have the legs collapsed as described. It's actually a shame they used transparent blue plastic for the windows in alt mode as you get some vibrant blue on his shoulders which looks a little out of place. It's a shame they didn't use the gloss black they used on Crankcase as Ironhide's windows in the movies are pretty heavily tinted anyway and it would've solved this problem.

Articulation is overall decent. Head is on a ball joint, the legs have a wide range of movement. He has no waist articulation, and the arms are unusual. Yes it's true the way they are gives less articulation than the standard ball socket shoulders most TFs have, but most poses can still be achieved, you just might have to go about it a different way than you're used to, and if you retract the wheels correctly into the chest they can sometimes get in the way so you might want to pop them out slightly to get more range of movement.

Ironhide isn't really the most flexible of transformers anyway so it's not too bad, the only pose I regret not being able to do, standing sideways on pointing weapon out, can't be done, but even if the arms swung out, the head would be entirely blocked by the chest anyway.

Mechtech in this mode can be mounted on one of 2 ports on each arm, or held in his fist. Again it's a shame there aren't 2 weapons, as Ironhide's arm looks a bit puny with nothing on it.

[​IMG]

The Mechtech weapon itself is probably my favourite of all Mechtechs I've seen so far. Mostly because it spins like Ironhide's weapons are supposed to, but also because massive guns are kind of what he's all about whereas they can look out of place on some other bots. Mine doesn't seem to want to lock into position (Yes I know about the tab) but it doesn't really matter.

Ironhide is a little better in scale with BB Prime in this mode, I feel he might be dwarfed by the Leader class.

[​IMG]

Overall I've thrown a spotlight on all his worst factors, if none of these bother you extremely, I'd say you'll like this figure. He has a lot of personality in bot mode. If it werent for that damn flatbed I'd like him a lot more, but he can obviously be displayed at angles where that's not visible. He's definitely a good figure, but not an amazing figure. Megs is still my favourite Voyager by a landslide, but if, like me you haven't got the budget for Leaders, I'd say Voyager Ironhide is a worth picking up.

2. Charsiupao

Charsiupao Well-Known Member

Thanks for the wonderful pics - he's looking really good, although that uncovered back part is a bit unforgiveable.

Having stared at the monstrosity that is Recon Ironhide's front windscreen for the past months this one looks beautiful! The lack of silver stripes also gives it an edge over the Recon Ironhide.

3. LeTigre

LeTigre Meat popsicle

I was looking at him in package, and I must say I'm on the fence. While I think he is better in scale with the previous movie deluxe figures and over all looks great, his flaws are glaring enough that I don't want to rush out and buy him.

Maybe when he's on sale, and I don't worry about finding him, since they seem to have included a lot of him in the case assortments.

4. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't have the Leader, but this is the best Ironhide to date. Very, very accurate and articulate. Even the arms are pretty good. The only real glaring flaw is the chest often becoming unlocked, but if you arm him with the Recon IH guns (I painted them black and silver to match better), he looks incredibly accurate. Fun to pay with but will display even better.

5. LeTigre

LeTigre Meat popsicle

You know if any of the 3rd party makers could create alternate weapons that would be compatible with the Mechtech ports, and were perhaps Movie accurate as well (or atleast as cool as the OP Gear of War set); I think it could go far to make this figure, and probably quite a few of the other DOTM figures WAY more desirable.

6. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    It looks like mine had pegs on each side of the tailgate that were sawed of. Would have locked the bottom in alt mode. Any one else have this?

7. Brakescream

Brakescream F&@king Twist Ties!

News Credits:
    my pegs are present.

8. oddacidtea

oddacidtea Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is the most disappointiong figure in the DOTM line. It's like they let one of the major stockholders kid design the bot mode. The gun is the onlt playable thing on it.

9. Matt Booker

Matt Booker Fantasy Adventure Author

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Mine are like that, but there's no resulting stability issues so I don't mind.

Also, if you swap the front wheels they fit in the chest better and don't get in the way of arm articulation. The "C" shaped piece should be facing forward in bot mode.

The wheels just slide out and are easy to swap. A friend told me about this fix and I've not been able to find out who originally suggested it, but it's easy and it works.

It significantly improved how much I like this version of Ironhide.

~Matt Booker

10. Stryker055

Stryker055 Josh Boyfriend

Ugh, I just picked this guy up today over Voyager Prime. I'll admit the altmode is good and the legs are very neat, but his arms are total crap. The Mechtech's okay, but mine has an issue where it won't lock. Plus the horribly loose head...

Definitely prefer Recon Ironhide from ROTF.

11. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    Agreed with Matt. After swapping the wheels, he articulates better in the arms section. So far this Ironhide is good enough for me as the Leader version (albeit more detail) does a terrible job at hiding the kibble at the back.

12. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I would have liked this figure if it wasn't for the wonky chest overlapping.

13. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    With the way everyone was talking I thought transforming the chest and arms would be a pian in the ass, but it was pretty easy. I really like his robot mode. Moreso after just switching the wheels around, which makes the arms less finicky. The only thing killing me is the vehicle mode size. He looks pretty good when compared to DotM Bumblebee's vehicle mode, but the original scales better. That and I need cannons. The original kinda fit, emphasis on "kinda". Now I need to track down a Recon Ironhide or atleast JUST the cannons he came with.

14. neevnav

neevnav The Flying Dutchman

News Credits:
    Got this guy today and I love him. The chest thing is a bit annoying, but I'm looking for a fix. Other then that he's great. I immediately swapped his MechTech weapon for ROTF Ironhide's guns, and they look awesome one him.

Chose him over Leader Ironhide solely because of the alt mode. Leader's looks like he has WAY to much kibble hanging out in alt mode. This one is clean. Overall I really enjoy him. The chest is annoying, but I'm sure someone with find a way to fix/modify that. I have a couple of ideas already.

15. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

I dunno what the concensus is on this ... but I would've been fine with my TF1 Movie Ironhide, if it was still in one piece.

Remember how the entire front and back windshield assembly was held on to the rest of the bot by ONE tab? Well, it wasn't the tab that broke on mine, it was the ENTIRE SOCKET. Oy.

I debated tracking down both a replacement AND a Recon Ironhide (for the better weapons) ... but ultimately passed, settling on the (decent but undersized) Deluxe. In retrospect, I should've coughed up the cash. DOTM Voyager Ironhide is every bit as mediocre as the reviews claim. Every complaint you've read about the arm/shoulder assembly, the overlapping chest panels, the wheel swap, the crappy looking truck bed ... it's all true. Which is small comfort when it's the only option sitting on a store shelf.

The irony of it is that I don't believe the chest assembly was meant to be such a trainwreck. If you size up the idea behind the design, it kind of makes sense: have the entire front-end automorph AND lock itself into place with a single push. No more messing around with a bunch of floppy panels or odd-looking bits of kibble; just push and done. But the implementation is such a mess, that it ends up not being worth it. I suppose I'll try a mod once someone posts a decent tutorial, but that's something I shouldn't need to do in the first place.

I'm not a fan of Mechtech; the nicest thing I can say about it is that it gets the crappy gimmicks OFF the robot, and isolates them into a chunk of plastic I can completely ignore (well ... except for Megatron). However, it actually makes sense with Ironhide, who finally gets a super spinning cannon. It's probably the most fun part of the package. Too bad his wimpy arms can't support the weight.

-XCN-

16. Stryker055

Stryker055 Josh Boyfriend

Well, I fixed up his neck joint, swapped his wheels, and gave him Recon Ironhide's cannons, so now he looks a little better. Gah, those arms are still total crap.

17. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm probably one of the few people who don't have any problems with his arms. Yeah, not having forward articulation kinda sucks, but the way their buried behind the wheels, they wouldn't get much range anyways.

Otherwise, I've handled enough Revoltechs and other weirdly-jointed Japanese figures to work out how his arms work, and have no problem getting him into some decent poses.

Now where the crap did I put the cannons from the first RotF Ironhide? I bought that thing for the sole purpose of giving them to DotM Ironhide, and now I have no idea where the hell I put them...

18. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like this figure but his mech tech weapon doesn't lock. Not the end of the world, his really doesn't need to, but it still would have been nice.

19. amethysted

amethysted Well-Known Member

I returned mine.

I'll buy the Leader instead...

20. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The lock mechanism on Ironhide is really touchy. You pretty much have to jam the shaft as far forward as possible, while twisting the little thruster insert in the claw. And I still can't remember which way I actually have to twist the thing. But it does lock, it's just really fussy to get it into the proper position.

On the other hand, I have no idea why people get hung up on it for this particular Mech-Tech. Locking it doesn't really do anything.