DOTM Voyager Ironhide

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Brakescream, May 19, 2011.

1. Brakescream

Brakescream F&@king Twist Ties!

News Credits:
    This toy doesnt have a pictoral review thread yet but I've seen a lot of negative comments and I was wondering why there was so much hate? I saw him in box last week and if I hadnt been so strapped for cash I'd have bought him on sight. I think he looks spot on (in bot mode anyway havent seen him in alt) his paint apps are good and he has the best Mechtech I've seen so far as his guns actually do spin in the movie and the Mechtech looks at home with him rather than being a massive outsized weapon.

Why shouldnt I buy him?

2. Facemeat

Facemeat Give me your Face(meat)!

I like him, but his arms kind of suck, the way the elbows are designed. Mine's also a bit loose in the legs, but I'm sure that's not the same for every Ironhide. Other than that, he's easily my favorite Movie Ironhide that I own. I say go for it.

3. Computer5

Computer5 Well-Known Member

I don't own one, but i was playing with one at the store and i like how his mechtech weapon spins. I like that function vs just turning into a claw or a different looking gun (stares at Meg's and Prime's Mechtech).

4. SeekerofTruth20

SeekerofTruth20 Prime of Primes

I think he's an awesome figure...his arms kinda suck, but oh well. His leg transformation is really fun too. Easily my favorite Ironhide figure so far, right along with the deluxe. I really can't wait for the leader Ironhide :) 

5. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Overlapping chest halves are annoying. Thank God I got an early version with screws on the U-bar that could easily be modded.

6. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    I LOVE this figure. The shoulders are kindof gimped, but the otherwise freaky elbows makes it less obtrusive. He can still pull off a pose, it just looks a bit funny in the elbow region.

His legs are brilliant and posable and he's got a far better sillhouette than previous trys. The Mechtech weapon, in a break with tradition, doesn't suck at all, and actually suits him.

HAd some loose joints on mine (and the gun doesn't lock, but I don't mind that) - tried to fix it with thickening, but it resulted in his shoulder hinges tearing off. Now he's armless. Watch out for that. Getting a new one though. :D 

I couldn't find a pictorial thread in the feedback section either - surprised this guy hasn't had more love. I think he's just been passed over in favour of the new guys.

7. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would love to have him, but I am torn between the leader version and this one. The leader has much better arms, but is backkibble city and has blue pants. The voyager seems to have gimp arms but awesome legs.

8. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I saw him in the store too. The arms are kinda wonky on him. If you want an Ironhide, save for the Leader like I am. The MechTech gun does look pretty awesome though.

9. Charsiupao

Charsiupao Well-Known Member

How does he compare to the Recon Ironhide - other than the obvious lack of silver lightning streaks? I've wanted a nice Voyager Ironhide to go with the Deluxe Bee, SideSwipe, Jolt and the Leader Prime. Deluxe HFTD Ironhide is way too small (and his arms are quite far back as well), and I was hoping that this was THE Ironhide which I could put on the shelf.

10. the_r_star

the_r_star New Member

just wondering guys, the chest halves on my ironhide will not stay in place and hook down with the grey chest piece. is mine defective? or is it supposed to be like that???

11. 420bot

420bot ******

I love him and I believe the arms only kinda suck.

12. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

It's the arms man...

His shoulders are in his ribcage area and his elbows are halfway along the forearm. Arm articulation is restricted to barely more than a 360 degree twirling motion at the faux elbows.

13. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Neither Here Nor There

News Credits:
    You shouldn't buy him because the Leader version is a much better version!

14. AcidStormUK

AcidStormUK Member

Got Ironhide last night. I only have Allspark Ironhide (dark blue) voyager from Movie 1 to compare it to and imo the robot mode on the DOTM toy is much better although the truck mode isn't (no cover for the flatbed section is disppointing, doesn't look complete) Agree with other comments about limited arm articulation. Transformation is quite simple with mostly nice big pieces to shift around although the arms are a bit fiddly to work out initially and don't respond well to pressure (more on that in a bit)

This is my fifth DOTM purchase and although I quite like the mechtech on the other toys I really hate Ironhide's cannon/booster thing. It looks ridiculous in truck mode and in robot mode it's too heavy for the arms to hold and just looks generally rubbish so I have outfitted mine with the combined missile launcher from my old voyager and the assault rifle from gens cybertronian optimus.

Unfortunately one of the arms has already snapped clean off during transforming grrrr! I can't be bothered to return it so I popped off the grey shoulder piece and then attached the arm onto the little hook structure behind the wheel, sits there quite tidy and also allows the wheel to fold right up into the chest so I might rip the other arm off on purpose later so it all matches lol. When transforming back to truck mode I just remove the arm, transform the rest of the toy as normal and then clip the bumper piece on - problem solved.

All in all a good toy, would rate it more if the arm hadn't broken so easily. Maybe not as good as the HFTD deluxe but the larger scale makes up for it although he does need a better mechtech accessory - good job we can mix and match.

15. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    Did it snap around the metal pin? Mine did - there doesn't seem to be enough plastic there to prevent severe trauma when the joints are a bit tight, or moved the wrong way.

16. xion14

xion14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't like it that much. The Movie Voyager Ironhide I went with after skipping all the ones made before it was Recon. Now I'm finishing off him with the Leader since the voyager look's bland and like a younger version of him. Also the arms.

17. AcidStormUK

AcidStormUK Member

Creaky - the whole arm literally came away from the door panel while trying to rotate the arms for the vehicle mode. The pin and it's very thin plastic housing is now wedged inside the shoulder piece.

18. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    I don't have one, but the biggest reasons I'm not going to get him are the LOOOONG legs, and ONE GUN!

19. DolphinMoo

DolphinMoo Well-Known Member

The only reason I am not getting the voyager ironhide is I am going to get the leader ironhide!

20. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    The arms completely slaughter what could have been a great toy. Recon Ironhide is still the best Voyager representation of the character thus far.