DOTM Ultimate Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by megatroptimus, Jul 5, 2011.

1. UltraMagnus2008

UltraMagnus2008 Autobot

News Credits:
    This thing would be perfect if it was a command center trailer like the original, but housed the parts from the new jetwing prime, and a weapons rack Nothing about this is screen accurate, its an excuse for hasbro to capitilize, nothing more. I'm going to get one and make the above though.

2. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    I like both ultimate n jetwing for different reasons :) 

Cant get enough optimus toys!

Personally whatever excuse they have to make this is alright with me! I love optimus and i love combiners and i love armor modes. Bring it on!

(and for all we know this is just based on an as of yet unseen piece of concept art so im cool :p )

3. nathan_s82

nathan_s82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I still need a Buster Optimus to finalize my Movieverse Optimus set.

4. sloloris

sloloris Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I picked up this big guy from eBay for slightly over $90... Only 2 weeks old (still an infant!) and loose.

Here's my pictorial review, starting with the cab, trailer, robot and finally the combined mode. Pics taken using iPhone.

The flames are beautifully air brushed on the cab. Robot kibble is well hidden underneath the cab and the cab rolls smoothly on all 6 wheels. There are 6 mech tech ports on the cab for plugging in mech tech weapons.

Everything snaps in place nice and tight without any glaring gaps. The side gas tanks are painted a shiny silver. A pity they didn't do the same for the front grill or smokestacks. For once, the smokestacks are not made of soft rubber, but is solid plastic! Kudos to Hasbro for this! :rock :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The trailer has minimal paint application which is a big let down as there is a LOT of nice details on the trailer. :thumbdown  A silver Autobot logo adorns the front of the trailer. The Autobot logo on the sides of the trailer are painted red. Hasbro should have just painted the outlines of the logo, instead of making the whole logo red, a very sloppy job which could otherwise improve the overall look of the trailer. A pity!

Hasbro should also have painted the stripes blue on the trailer sides, which is the classic G1 look, but I guess they want to make it look more movie accurate, hence they leave it unpainted. If only the trailer has the same matt silver look as the Japanese voyager prime's mech tech trailer, it would be perfect! Oh well...

Prime's gigantic mech tech weapon (makes City Commander's BFG look like a water pistol :lol : ) is stored underneath the trailer where it plugs in nice and VERY tight. Kibble is visible when trailer is viewed from the side but it's not a big issue, really. The trailer can stand on its own, supported by the kibble underneath the trailer, though it would be nice to have its own supporting stand like the G1 or G3 trailer.

Trailer has a total of 12 freaking mech tech ports... that's a lot of ports to plug in a lot of mech tech weapons!!! :drool: 

When hooked up to Prime's cab, the cab can swivel about 30 degrees to the sides when turning bends. Both cab and trailer roll together on 10 wheels very smoothly without any of the kibble scratching the floor. Nice... :thumb 

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Prime's bad-ass mech tech weapon has red flashing light and sound. There are 2 small buttons which trigger different firing sounds. Pulling on a tab to activate the mech tech gimmickry triggers a 3rd firing/charging sound. Like the deluxe figures, the spring loaded tab cannot be locked in place, but it's not a big issue for me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In robot mode, Prime's arms are larger than his legs, which is odd. It makes his legs look skinny and it does not help that he has ugly two-pronged feet. Reminds me of chicken feet. :eek:  The transformation is quite unique, yet simple. The face scuplt is fantastic and highly detailed. I wish he had more silver/chrome on his body and legs/feet (maybe a premium release in the near future?)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The trailer converts into Prime's armor suit. The numerous panels (which converts into wings), tend to pop off during the transformation process but they tab back in just as easily. The pegs for the wings are rather small and seems fragile, but after a few transformations, there are no cracks or stress marks, so I guess they are pretty solid pegs. Whew! :rock :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Prime sits inside the armor suit very comfortably, nice and tight, held in place by pegs on his chicken feet and pegs on his butt (oops!) and upper/lower back. That's a total of 5 pegs holding him in place!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Size comparison with Classics Starscream (he's so puny! :lol : )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Prime's mech tech weapon comes with a built-in helmet and clear target visor. The whole thing fits over his shoulders and head, and he can grip the weapon firmly with both fists, without toppling over, despite the weight of the weapon (Thanks to his HUGE hobbit feet!). No stability or balancing issues here. Prime's combined mode is solid like a rock and heavy as a brick. :rock :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When Prime is not busy blasting evil Decepticons out of the skies, his big-ass mech tech weapon can be flipped backwards and folded over his back for storage. With the weapon attached to his back, it now looks like a jetpack with two thrustors. Very cool looking!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My only gripe with the combined mode is that he cannot bend his knees (Armada Super Prime, anybody?) and his arms has limited articulation. :angry: The giant fists are molded and cannot be opened. Also his mech tech weapon's helmet is fixed and cannot be rotated, so Prime can only look straight and shoot straight. :thumbdown 

It's either you like or hate Prime's "butterfly" wings, but worry no more, his wings can actually be folded down and stored to the sides and back, as shown below. The folded wings resemble a cape, similar to those of his friendly brother, Sentinel Prime.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now comes the really fun part, the wings! The wings can be folded in, folded out or away to form countless combinations. Check out the various combinations...

Original Butterfly
    [​IMG]

T-Formation
    [​IMG]

V-Formation
    [​IMG]

Backward V-Formation (wings folded backwards)
    [​IMG]

T+A Formation
    [​IMG]

T+A Formation Variant
    [​IMG]

Dragonfly
    [​IMG]

Confused Dragonfly
    [​IMG]

T-Formation Variant
    [​IMG]

Kee Chiu
    [​IMG]

Kee Chiu Variant
    [​IMG]

Jetwing (Surprised right? :drool:  )
    [​IMG]

Now, who still dislikes Prime's butterfly wings huh?

Overall, here's my ratings:

Cab 8.5 / 10
    Robot 7.0 / 10
    Trailer 6.0 / 10
    Combined armor suit mode 9.0 / 10

Overall rating 7.6 / 10

Summary: I like the size and solid feel of this toy. It's amazing how far Transformers toy design has arrived and it is apt that it earned the "Ultimate" title. :bowdown: 

Though some parts may feel pretty tight and feel like might break or snap, there are no real issues of stress marks or breakages. There are no fragile parts, except maybe for the small cab window piece covering Prime's head. Best of all, there are no rubbery parts (a curse in DOTM toys) and this toy should survive very well for the next decade or so. :rock :

Go get it, I highly recommend! :lol :

5. len_d69

len_d69 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ultimate Prime Alt mode comparison. Looks better (scale wise) with other DOTM toys than Leader Prime :clap:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    that he does Len!

not bad!

7. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    What are you talking about, the smokestacks ARE rubber, it's even clearly visible in your pictures. :) 

8. LightningZERO

LightningZERO The Alternity

News Credits:
    Very nice toy and I'm glad I pick this one up. One of the best Prime mold, and the combined mode is just fantastic!

9. fallen_revenge

fallen_revenge Movie News Addict

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I need HQ pics of him in ALT mode compared with other DOTM toys with and without trailer thanks!

10. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    why the heck would they color Prime's toes like that? PEDICURE? Nail polish? this is one mistake from Hasbro. clearly this is not in the movie and this will not be as saleable as Jetwing so wait for clearance. The head is too small. Why is transformers trying to become Gundam? TF has an identity of its own. The designers clearly have much love for Gundams.

11. petes2177

petes2177 the poowrr?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Slightly regret passing on this guy while the SDCC Exclusives on HTS were up after seeing some of the pictures in this thread.

12. prime326

prime326 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    I got him for $65 from Walmart.com and dont regret the purchase at all. Sure the robot mode alone is strangley between Voyager and Leader, but I plan on doing some paint apps to him and he should look pretty sweet all jacked up.

13. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Of course, scale junkies would be afflicted with the most expensive Optimus. :p 

Actually I figured from the beginning he was vehicle-mode-scaled with Sentinel.

14. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    stealth force mode!!!!

[​IMG]

:p 

15. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    /\

That rocks!

16. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Got mine. My rankings for US DOTM primes:
    Best sculpt: deluxe
    Best playability: voyager
    Best transformation: Ultimate
    Most versatile: Cyberverse
    Most Accurate: Walmart Battle Blades Prime

Ultimate is okay. Finally got one. Transformation is impressive as is size. Wish he had a weapon for regular mode. Built well, and could be better.

17. TCracker

TCracker R.I.P., 5/2019 Veteran

News Credits:
    ^Whattabout DOTM Jetwing? You gonna get him? :D 

18. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Most likely eventually. He and DA28 would win for accuracy and Jetwing may top Ultimate for playability. I get the feeling that it's only a matter of time before a 3rd party makes an upgrade kit for Ultimate...like add on leg parts and ab parts to balance out the silhouette in uncombined mode, and possibly a new, trailer that turns into a base and is fully articulated when combined.

As is the set is okay. Ultimate is fun with c clip and mechtech hard points. In combined mode, since the legs can't move much, I wish the suit looked more like a power suit, rather than giving the impression that the legs might function like real legs yet don't. A way around this is to leave them clipped together. In that respect it resemble Cyberverse Prime when combined with his trailer. At least that Prime's combined mode looks more like an armored power suit.

19. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

You know, if it weren't for the gigantic forearms...he'd actually look pretty sweet.

20. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    I don't find Jetwing Prime too playable, at least not any more playable than the regular leader mold alone. It's more of a thing you display than play with. Ultimate Prime is meant for play.