DOTM Toys Vs Hunt for the Decepticons

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Red leader, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Red leader

Red leader Nom Nom Nom

News Credits:
    I loved the Hunt for the Decepticons figures with Battle Blades Prime, Bumblebee and DLX Ironhide being my faves however the line sold like poop and its a shame because apart from Megs the new DOTM stuff looks a little bit like a step back ??

I think this may be the first set of movie toys I skip entirely just because I am already happy with whats already out there, how about you guys ? :) 

2. JetsAndHeels

JetsAndHeels Banned

We have only seen like 4 things so far. I wouldn't call it quits just yet.

Having said that, Megs is the only one that interests me so far.

3. Jlogano20

Jlogano20 Speed Gunner

News Credits:
    so far the 4 new ones megs looks good and BB just a remold of the HFTD Battle blades one
    op looks terrible and ironhide not complete wait until there are official full pics

4. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like HFTD alot better that what we've seen of DOTM also. I'm waiting for the Ferrari though. Especially if it's Hot Rod.

5. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Unless something along the lines of Jazz and Starscream come out, I'm pretty well done with movie stuff.

6. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

You're dubious about DOTM figures, but you didn't skip the first movie's barrage of Cybertron repaints? WTF?

7. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Well, part of the problem is that a good portion of HftD is just repaints and only a few new molds spaced too far apart. Generations, after the first wave glut magically disapeared in my area, has been selling almost as if people thought the toys were die-cast gold or something, but HftD deluxe wave 1 has hardly moved enough for even Hailstorm to show up. The situation with the voyagers is even worse, since one is a repainted figure badly suffering from mold degregation (Night Ops Ratchet), two are decent repainted figures that could be considered oddly colored (Payload and Banzai-Tron), and only Seaspray is the new mold. Guess which one of those four ISN'T shelfwarming in my area and preventing me from getting Highbrow at retail?

8. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    My opinion: Megs looks good, though his arms/torso are a bit skinny, hopefully the leader fixes that. BB looks like a remold of the BBBB mold (fine by me, I've passed it up so far because I can't afford all I want at this moment and it's a sure bet it's getting a redeco at some point in the DOTM line). Ironhide I'm not too keep on, but I'm willing to admit that today's update might just might be a bad photo, seeing as the cross-sell looks great despite the blurriness. However, the new Prime looks like ass. It's just so many steps backward that the only possible justification is that Hasbro's doing a larger assortment of FABs/new subline.

9. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    HFTD sold well enough in my part of the world.

DOTM: Not that impressed with the toys we've seen so far, and early ROTF waves were over-stocked and rotted on shelves for a good year afterwards.

At the very least,i'll probably be holding off.

10. Red leader

Red leader Nom Nom Nom

News Credits:
    How do you know what I did and didnt skip ? what I'm saying is that I'm happy with the versions of the movie characters I've collected so far and apart from the tanker truck there is nothing I've seen so far that I would want as the Hunt for the Deceps versions seem superior.

11. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    DOTM looks awful. The figures are OK, but I'm sure the better figures will surface later...

12. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Oh boy.. DOTM hasn't had any fair chance of presenting itself yet.

Way too early to pass judgement. Personally, I think DOTM will blow away HFTD.

13. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

I love the gunshot reactions to incomplete figures.

14. Red leader

Red leader Nom Nom Nom

News Credits:
    not a gunshot reaction to an incomplete figure its an opinion formed from the aesthetic displayed, 2 different things entirely.

15. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

If they are incomplete figures, then aren't you seeing an incomplete aesthetic?

16. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    The aesthetic is simply an evolution of the movie toy designs. You either like it or you don't.

17. Red leader

Red leader Nom Nom Nom

News Credits:

The figures themselves are finished and complete, the accessories dont make a lot of difference to me personally.

HFTD had a lot of detail and minimal gimmicks which is what I like, this line seems to be going for play value over accuracy which is fine as its primarily for kids and they will love but its not something I'm interested in.

18. Stune

Stune Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That Prime, if that's mainly what you're getting at, is more than likely an FAB-type figure. I mean look at the proportions of it, the aesthetic, it almost looks like a Voyager sized Activator.

Megatron on the otherhand, with a different paint scheme perhaps, looks reeeeeeeeeaaaaaallllllllly awesome. Ironhide is mistransformed in the ONE pic we've got properly in Robot mode, but I think he could be a great figure.

Its DECEMBER of the YEAR BEFORE THE TOYS COME OUT. Just wait and see, I'm sure the line will impress.

19. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's just too early to tell. I'm only interested in Megatron at the moment, but I typically only buy scout, deluxe, and voyager Decepticons anyway. But I think it's far too early to pass judgement on the DOTM line.

20. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

In just seems about every toy line I've looked into the best figures from a movie line come in the later waves. The first waves just aren't as impressive since they have that rushed out the door look. But the later waves end up with some nice looking figures.

I know I'm rather biased since I like the hybrid look but not the movie look. But it just seems like it's better figures that are more more fun when Hasbro has more creative freedom rather than having to fit what a robot looked like in the movie.

Although if this is the last movie for a while I don't know if we get lots of later waves to get characters that were not in the movie.