DotM Toys, Underapreciated by Fans?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Scrapper6, Aug 1, 2012.

?

Was the Dark of the Moon Toyline Underapreciated?

1. Yes, I too feel that it was

17 vote(s)
    23.3%
  2. Yes, to an extent

31 vote(s)
    42.5%
  3. No, I do not agree with this thread

26 vote(s)
    35.6%
  4. No, the kids loved it and that's good enough

5 vote(s)
    6.8%
  5. I opt to remain neutral in this discussion

9 vote(s)
    12.3%
  6. For Amusements Sake: Why My Shoulders Hurt?

12 vote(s)
    16.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

I am not going to start one of those threads, I am merely going to state my opinion on the matter and leave it up for honest discussion.

Dark of the Moon has been shelfwarming for ages, many stores still seem to be carrying loads of these figures, most notably the sea of yellow that we are constantly complaining about.

Recently, with the large lull in Prime merchandise coming out in Canada and being mostly caught up with other toylines, I find myself finally venturing out to pick up as many DotM figures as humanly possible. Sadly, by the time I had the funds a lot of 8$ deluxes vanished from the shelves at Wal-Mart, so I find myself hoping for another clearance sale in August at the soon-to-be Targets (Formerly-and-yet- still Zellers, Piss Poor Wasteland of Retail Hell.) so that they can clear out all of those deluxes and I can get a crack at them at reduced price.

I've been watching older reviews on Youtube, checking out written reviews on forums and sites and i have managed to pick up three figures. Roadbuster, Skids and Starscream.

I feel, in my opinion, that a lot of the fans of Transformers really ignored, and flat out black listed a bunch of these toys simply to follow the trend set by most of the big name personalities on the internet. While the toys were admittedly riddled with QC issues that defied understanding, and full of lack luster paint applications, I am of the mind that these figures are still fun and impressively engineered for what they are.

In the beginning of the Trilogy of films, Hasbro was taking designs that were, for the most part impractical as far as three dimensional toys went, and making some really limited, yet still impressively detailed toys. Toy engineering progressed and Revenge of the Fallen saw a lot of kibble-formers, impressive feats of engineering and even some figures that are lauded as the best of the best.

With Dark of the Moon, admittedly we were all getting tired of the same basic engineering quirks and characters being re-re-released in different forms, repainted re-packs and just plain uninspired drivel. And yet, the third toyline really seems to have taken all Hasbro learned from Movie 1 and RotF and combined them both into extremely detailed, yet simple and fun transformations that are considered hit or miss or, to quote Internet Personality Ben Yee quoting a fan comic from the UT days 'Why My shoulders hurt?'

And yet, even the worst of the DotM toys have something to offer. Such as Autobot Skids, or just Skids if you prefer. Out of all the deluxes I currently own he, and his brother, seem to be some of the black sheep of the family. And yet, I'm still finding a load of fun things to do with this short stocky bot.

Paint apps, paint apps are the absolute worst when it comes to DotM, it seems we're all looking at some decisions made by Hasbro during that time and questioning their ever loving sanity.

I don't really have any of the figures where this really is detracting of the figures, least wise I don't think I do, does Starscream count? Let's not forget the stress marks on plastic caused by the manufacturing issues, or what-have-you, straight out of the packaging. (Should I be worried that Skids south paw elbow bal joint socket is really getting stressed out? Or that Starscream's lower hip pins area has stress marks around the pivot areas?)

I think a lot of these problems were due to the rush job that Hasbro did to get the product out there in time for the release, if I understand it right the DotM film release date wasn't really finalized before they started getting the prototypes ready and so the figures were kind of rushed with some of the obvious things, like paint app issues and QC problems not fully dealt with. Of course I could have misheard about this.

Anyway, I'm really going on and on and just trying to get my thoughts centered, and not doing a full on job of it at this point. I feel that the DotM toyline was looked down upon by fans due to some of the things I've discussed in this thread, perhaps to the detriment of the fans, as the toys are really quite a marvel of engineering.

We may not have gotten everything we wanted or hoped for out of this toyline, due to questionable business decisions on Hasbro's part, I mean a lot of us are still hurting over the Soundwave/Que/Leadfoot thing, and I certainly don't want to start that damn mess over again so many months after we got quieted down.

However, I think that the toyline as a whole accomplished really what it set out to do, and who knows, if Hasbro had been a bit more prepared and on the ball for the release date then perhaps the figures wouldn't have languished in purgatory so long as to destroy the distribution of some hot ticket items I'm still hoping to luck out and find during my search to complete DotM.

In the end run, I really feel that this toyline wasn't altogether that bad. Cyberverse alone prooved that the fans didn't hate all of what Hasbro was doing. And while some of the Mech Tech gimmicks are frustratingly stupid looking when put on the figures, they aren't all bad.

Opinions? Agree, Disagree? Feel free to discuss, but do try to keep the whining and flamebaiting and other unpleasantness for the past. We've all surely gotten it out of our systems by now. Let's discuss the merits of Dark of the Moon the Toyline without falling back on old habits, please and thank you.

2. stepsongrapes

stepsongrapes Well-Known Member

Honest opinion: re-organize your writing. I can't tell what your point is in all of that. You seem to spend a lot of time acknowledging a bunch of specific problems and then suddenly (bam!) concluding that the DOTM line is underappreciated. Your only support appears to be that wholely subjective criteria "fun" that is unfortunately unsuited to any meaningful discussion.

This did stand out:

Huh? Really? The TF fandom isn't what I would consider a cult of personality. You make the logical fallacy of concluding that when mainstream opinion lines up with the opinions of certain individuals that that necessarily means that the second caused the first. Coincidence does not equal correlation.

DOTM toys compare poorly to their closest equivalents: ROTF toys. Simple as that. Sometimes, a duck is just a duck. DOTM toys having a generally bad rap isn't a conspiracy. Something that has a generally negative opinion is not necessarily underappreciated: it may simply deserve its reputation.

3. Cogar

Cogar Follower of the Code

I think they are fine. Although there are some "weak" figures in the DOTM line, none of them is as bad as PRID Airachnid or have paint applications as hideous as Knock Out's.

The Soundwave/Que/Leadfoot thing is just whining. If DOTM figures are that bad, why should anyone care if they are not released?

I like the fact that the toys look realistic in alt mode and often make good robots as well (without the complex transformation of some ROTF and HFTD toys). This is going back to the "robots in disguise" concept where a person unfamiliar with Transformers will be unaware that the little toy car on your desk will actually turn into a robot. :wink: 

4. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Under appreciated? Too an extent, yeah.

Here's my feelings in a nutshell: the DOTM toyline was the beginning of change for Transformers. This is when we saw the increasing price with the downsize in figures. The change was taken as a shock to the majority of the Fandom and rightfully so because we became very accustomed to having superior figures.

There was a ton of diamonds in the DOTM line, but unfortunately there were stinkers and an overall feeling of too much change, too fast. Combine that with the spotty QC at times and the run of the internet, you have "under appreciated" toy line.

5. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

Sorry, I tend to ramble on when it comes to opinions. I suppose the points I was attempting to make are:

1) In my opinion Fans underapreciated the toyline, not just because of fun factor, but also the engineering.

2) Admittedly the flaws are there with this toyline, but I don't feel they honestly justify completely the reason why this toyline is hated so passionately.

and...

3) Popular Opinion from certain big name personalities in the fandom seem to either correlate with the vast majority of fan's opinions, or created them, depending on which came first. I may be wrong in this assesment, it is formed from observations which may be flawed to begin with.

I do not agree however that, just because a toyline is percieved to be bad by the fandom that it deserves to be, admittedly so, as you put it. Let us look at the RotF line from a different perspective, the reason why the engineering changed so much between DotM and RotF is most assuredly due to the very nature of the complexity of the figures and the negative critiques that the parents of children who became frustrated with the figures directed towards Hasbro.

A lot of the complex tricks we loved from RotF really frustrated the kids I think, and that impacted how Hasbro went about re-inventing the next big Movie toyline. The difficulty curve that Hasbro points out on the packaging changed a little for the better if you ask me.

6. tehKOREANdude

tehKOREANdude inimitable, original

News Credits:
    Felt cheaper in quality (plastic and paint apps) but in engineering, I thought they were a nifty bunch.

7. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 I'm actually 16.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Their engineering was neat for some of the figures while others were too easy and lame. The quality was less than before.

8. stepsongrapes

stepsongrapes Well-Known Member

I'm not really sure what you're saying here. The premise of your thread is that the general fandom consensus (whatever the hell that is) is mistaken or flawed. For an opinion to be mistaken or flawed, it must be premised on incorrect facts or other misconceptions. Barring that, the perception is exactly that: a valid perception and opinion.

The issue of simplicity is about valuation. When I say fandom (and I believe you mean the same) I'm referring to casual and serious collectors, generally represented by members of this board. Hasbro may very well have succeeded in adressing the desires of children and parents and the DOTM line may very well be a smashing success in the perception of children and parents. That is not the fandom that we are discussing. This fandom, generally, appears not to value simplicity in and of itself. You can lament the fandom not valuing simplicity enough, but that is different than a rebuttal that DOTM is not as simple as the fandom has mistakenly characterized it as being.

In other words, I haven't seen your arguments providing points in which the fandom has mischaracterized the DOTM line: it is: simpler (on average), has less paint (on average), made with smaller parts/lower quality materials (on average), more poorly distributed (on average), and more expensive (on average). On engineering, I don't see it outdoing ROTF, on average. This last bit is admittedly more subjective.

9. Biotoakid

Biotoakid I've never been wrong

News Credits:
    The was just plain. The movie was clusterfucked with random new characters, and only half bothered to make it to the underwhelming toyline

10. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    Answering the title of the thread, not the article: Yes. There were many deluxes that accomplished what previous voyagers hadn't, like Ratchet and the ever-amazing Starscream that got overlooked simoly because they were deluxes. More accurate figures got flak because they looked different, like Barricade. And there's the MechTech, which cast a shadow over the entire toyline for some. A gem, DOTM was not, but as with ROTF, there was gold in them thar hills. And Skyhammer. Any toyline with a toy like Skyhammer can't be bad.

11. Pencoin

Pencoin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Here's some of my quick thoughts:
    1. Bayformers is always going to be the black sheep of the TF Franchise, even more so than Beast Machines
    2. Characters actually in the movie not getting a western release like Que, Soundwave etc really miffed some people and understandably so!
    3. Rubbish Mechtech junk turned a lot of people off as well.

12. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Considering some of the "re-dos" of the line, such as Bumblebee, are to me preferable to previous outings of the character just by removing sometimes needless complexity, I'd say yes (to an extent). I do agree there's probably a fan backlash against reduced size, reduced complexity, and increased gimmickry.

13. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

DOTM is not really any different from other toy lines in the fact that it had its stars that were awesome figures and it had its weak points. I think fans reflected this with the better figures getting the praise they deserved such as Voyager Megs Shockwave and Skyhammer and Leader Ironhide and some of the deluxes like Air Raid. Fans gave criticism to the lack of paint and smaller size which was deserved. It was a good toyline with some great figures and some duds and i feel it was received as such.

14. Molina00

Molina00 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I can't say if it's underareciated or no, because I honestly have no idea, but I have picked up a few of the $7.27 deluxes at Wal-Mart and with the exception of Air Raid I like them all. I also have the Leader Ironhide which is one of my favorite figures in my small collection. I kept seeing Mudflap in the store and just stayed away from him until one day decided to pull the trigger on him. He's actually a pretty cool little dude. Overall I am happy with my DOTM purchases, and I don't have any of the really good deluxes either.

15. Jazz342

Jazz342 Well-Known Member

A lot of it probably has to do with the fact that bumblebee took up slots that could have been used for soundwave, leadfoot, and wheeljack.

16. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    DOTM wasn't a truly BAD line, but even many of the best figures are still noticeably inferior to most ROTF figures in terms of design and paint apps, and there were far more unappealing figures in the DOTM line than in the ROTF line.

17. SwindlesShop

SwindlesShop Kenny Power's drug dealer

News Credits:
    where's the option that says:
    they just suck

18. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Underappreciated, is not the correct description I think.

What happened, is that this toyline never really achieved
    real momentum like the ROTF toyline did. This is due to a variety of causes;

1. Hasbro not pushing marketing for DOTM as much as with ROTF.
    2. A limited variety of altmodes amongst the main TF character cast;mostly cars cars and more cars amongst Autobots and few new Decepticons, while Decepticons who died in ROTF didn't make a toy-reappearance in the DOTM mainline.
    3. The vocal anti-movie design subgroup amongst the TF fanbase growing
    even more tired of yet another movie toyline. They saw chance to start throwing even more mud at this toyline.
    4. The knee-jerk reaction to size decrease, overal lesser paintapps and supposedly intrusive Mech Tech.

However, the general merits of the DOTM have been acknowledged quite widely :

1. Better screen and altmode accuracy than ROTF for a number of TF characters, while others' toyversion deviated more from their onscreen counterparts.
    2. Cleaner transformations/less panel lines while retaining screen accuracy & better tech detail sculpting.

Personally, the DOTM deluxe Seekers are still my favourites, especially the rich looking Thundercracker. DOTM voyager Megatron is also still the best movie Megatron imo. DOTM deluxe Ratchet is the final perfection of the movie Ratchet design imo.

19. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    The only good things to come for me was leader Sentinel Prime, Ironhide and HA Soundwave, other than that, there really was nothing to appreciate...

20. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

A number of the figures were unnapreciated because, quite frankly, they sucked.
    The Twins both sucked
    That big, expensive Optimus Prime toy whose Trailer becomes a set of Battle Armor Sucked.
    The Deluxe Wreckers sucked
    Jolt Sucked.
    Ratchets red redeco sucked
    The lack of Paint on deluxe Sideswipe Sucked
    Bumblebee sucked (Except the Cyberfire Deco. That one was good)
    The MechTech Weapons Suck
    Shockwave Sucked
    Thats a lot of Sucking for Transformers.