DOTM toys = the new Armada

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SentinelPrime, Jan 26, 2011.

1. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    I am 35.

I was the traditional 80s Transformers fan. Tfs are part of my life, simply put.

RID brought me back to the fold, like many others.

Armada peed all over what RID meant to me, taking a huge step backwards, almost to a Fischer Price pre-school level.

DOTM toys seem to be repeating that concept. As much as I loathe 75% of ROTF, the toys were sweet. The DOTM toys seem like a massive, childish step backwards.

I don't really know where this is going, I'm just getting that same feeling of taking a major step back.

That is all. Discuss. Or not. I just needed to say that.

2. Lacimehc

Lacimehc Tastes like medicine

I thought Transformers toys were intended for children...

Don't really understand why so many people are freaking out over a simple weapon gimmick that's completely optional...

3. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

My thoughts exactly.

I mean, c'mon, the defining gimmick of Armada was the lack of articulation because of mini-con gimmicks, NOT because of combineable weapons. That was Energon.

But still, the toys do not appear to have any problem even with the MechTech in terms of articulation, which put them way above Armada era toys.

4. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Just wait until the toys actually get released, so we can all form an educated opinion.

And I'm sorry to hear you are 35, but haven't quite grasped the idea that Transformers are, yes, childish toys. It's not necessarily about accuracy or complexity - it's about play value.

But I don't think there is a reason to worry. With the big advancements that have been made the last couple of years, I'm sure this is not the last time we will see better, more intricate Transformers.

5. Cheem The Rup

Cheem The Rup Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    this :thumb  (adding that I'm so happy to not be the typical 80s fan :D  )

6. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think DOTM might be similar to Armada in basic philosophy, which (probably) is to make the toys less complex and with 'collectible gimmick' extras to give them more play value and less frustration value for the kids (and any parents given the task of transforming the toy). Exactly how that plays out over the course of the toyline itself remains to be seen. I don't see anything indicating the DOTM toys are dropping much articulation, for example.

7. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    You guys should give the OP's point of view a chance.

I mean... the first G1 molds were pretty intricate as well, with
    all that diecast, rubber wheels, chrome paint, detailed molding and lots of accessoiries.

These toys were marketed at kids and boy did they sell.

Then, 2 years later, the TF's lose die cast, rubber wheels, chrome apps etc.
    until they reached the ultimate point of simplification : Pretenders & Action Masters.

8. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] BATTLE GAIA!

News Credits:
    Arrghhh not ANOTHER of these kinds of threads......
    But personally if the newer DOTM toys dont appeal to me, then its not going to get me all in a twist. :D 

9. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    I can very much identify with the OP, but let's be honest, Armada wasn't as bad as these new toys appear to be. That's offensive to Armada toys.

Perhaps my opinion will change once I see the actual toys in person, but so far, not digging them AT ALL.

And it has nothing to do with the weapon gimmick either. I just think the designs of the molds are very lacking when compared to recent lines, including the last TF Movie's toys.

It doesn't help that Generations and RTS stuff has been around shortly before these. You can almost tell which line they spent the most time developing and it sure as hell didn't seem to be these.

Sure, toys are for kids, but the quality of these designs certainly don't seem as up to par as what one normally can expect from Transformers, regardless of whether you play with them or just stick them on a shelf to gather dust.

The poor, poor kids.... :D 

10. SentinelPrime

Ebay:
    I'm disappointed some of you missed my point. You can't see that these figs are a big step back, in the same continuity of toys?

I understand TFs are toys. They are for kids. THANK YOU for pointing out the obvious. I even think that some of the movie toys are TOO complex for their own good.

But regardless, it's clear that these figs are a step back, and not in a good way. They seem to be missing any sense of cool, serious, sci fi design just to make them simple and childish, to kind of reset the line to appeal to the "fresh bunch of kids" that were too young for TF1/2 but now are appropriate toy buying age.

Weak.

11. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    uhm, did you even read my post ?

12. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's why he said "some"

Anyway, they are kids toys but I'm really shocked at everyone jumping the gun at these being the final be all of the dotm line.

Hasbro does cater to us nostalgia freaks too and I'm sure that'll show.

13. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Could it be because a lot of ROTF toys were too complicated and even parents were having a hard time cracking them? Most images of kids playing with RoTF Leader Prime has it badly mistransformed.

14. SentinelPrime

Ebay:
    And please, don't misunderstand, I didn't expect the DOTM figs to be some major advancement, but good lord, at least keep them on the same level...

DOTM voyager Prime is really the best example I can give thus far, compared to the prior movie Prime toys. If you can't see the Armadaization of the line in that fig, you are blind, sorry.

15. SentinelPrime

Ebay:

Yeah, I liked your post.

That's why I said most of.

16. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    I kind of see where he's coming from with the armada minicon ports floging up the vehicles like the mechtech ports could potentially do.

What is really nice about the gimmick is its confined to a detachable weapon, where the previous movie lines had mech alive and automorph which directly impacted how the figures could articulate and transform.

Edit: I just read that the leaders in this line have their electronics confined to their large versions of the mechtech weapons. That's a tremendous burden off the the engineers to design a transformation around that old block in the middle and the armature of cables extending to leds in the head and torso. Great leader toys will evolve from this alone.

Also a lot of movie Transformers toys have lacked basic firearms. Under the justification that their hands would merely convert into the blades and guns they need anyway. The whole mechtech system has these guns with a spring loaded conversion to emulate that understood element in the modern universe.

As a counter argument the original transformers with guns and rocket launchers as seperate weapons that need munitions and manual repairs. Also works, because it makes it easier to adjust the weight of the weaponry you carry. A Transformer could need many different weapons, from sniper rifles to assault blasters and huge plasma cannons, the weight is a little intense to not be modular, and this also gives more flexibilty to things like grenades and specially designed brain bullets. both factions in g1 seemed capable of useing their scientists for weapons research and development while the automated factory bases manufactured weapons and ammo.

Clearly I'm looking forward to mechtech. Because I think it looks more traditional to have guns than to not to have them at all.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  17. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    1. We haven't seen all of the toys yet. Some toys definitely look like a step back. Some look ok but hindered by the Mechtech gimmick..some actually look pretty good/better in my opinion (voyager Ironhide looks better than the original voyager, deluxe Skids looks more in proportion and less floppy, the Human Alliance scouts look promising).

2. We are basing opinions on some of the figures on photos that aren't doing the figures justice. People keep making this mistake time after time. Everybody's going into rage mode, until a second picture pops up and suddenly everybody likes it.

3. we already got a perfect ROTF leader Prime and HFTD voyager Prime. People can complain this new voyager Prime looks horrible..but why does it matter when we already have the 'definitive' versions?

4. Hasbro is trying out new things. Introducing playsets etc. Don't see the problem with that. Not trying out new things = no advancement in the end.

5. I think Transformers managed to survive Armada and eventually started making better, more complex toys again.

There.

18. hupla

hupla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hell before the movie armarda was the best selling Transformers line ever.

19. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    The truth hurts doesnt it?

20. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I haven't heard much about the DOTM toyline, but if it is going to be more simplistic transformations a la Armada, I say...

BRING IT ON!

TFs these days have gotten ridiculously complex and intricate. Now, this isn't necessarily a bad thing, esp. if catered for collectors (e.g. Binaltechs, MPs etc). However, a toyline aimed at the majority audience of kids? I can only imagine the "games" they play with the ROTF figures...

"quick, Optimus, transform!"
    "okay, give me 30 mins, then I'll kick Megatron's behind!"

The Armada line - like G1 - were cool toys where the transformation typically took 30ish seconds. That's good enough for a toyline like TF.

Now, Generations, Human Alliance and whatever else... if they're aimed more at older kids/collectors, that's fine with me. I enjoy 'em. But if the main line of the year is slightly (and it is slightly; I'd hardly call Armada "Fisher Price"-esque) more simplistic in transformations (I haven't heard anywhere that articulation has suffered????), then I'm all for it.

Thanks, you've actually got me excited about this line!