DOTM Toys have outdone themselves

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Xformermike, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Xformermike

Xformermike Well-Known Member

I guess my opinion of the Transformers DOTM toy line released this Spring is very clear simply from my title. I'm just curious if anyone has noticed some of these key notes that I've noticed this past few months.

- that the quality of engineering...the way things align well
    - the quality of plastic
    - the simple yet interesting nice neat design of the actual transformation.
    - the more toy and old school transformers feel from the huge guns.
    - Using the car/vehicle mode parts in nice transformer looking ways on the robot mode.

I'm just really impressed with this line. The last few lines things were a bit fragile and the transformations seemed kibly and uninspired... I also thought the plastic seemed of lesser plastic quality than the current. Things looked kinda cool but lacked in a certain quality and detail..

Anyone agree? Disagree?

2. Thalack

Thalack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree, I'm loving the line for the most part. I just do have a complaint of loose joints in a couple figures, but that has stopped me from buying more more more! :D 

3. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    I think the plastic may be a tiny bit cheaper, but barely noticable.

I do think they have upped the play value since ROTF

I like the newer engineering, simpler buy yields figures with more character/soul somehow

4. Barricade24

Barricade24 Decepticop Artist

News Credits:
    My only complaint would be the downsizing. But other than that pretty fun line.

5. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    Pretty much this.

6. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Like all lines it hits and misses.

Most of the toys, while not being the best they could be in paint, accuracy, and size wise, are just downright fun and not a bitch in a half to transform.

7. Prime_Directive

Prime_Directive less than meets the eye

News Credits:
    Yeah, it feels like they took the engineering bump between TF07 and ROTF Leader Optimus and applied it to the whole line.

And then subsequently gave us that horrid voyager-class abomination as compensation.

8. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

I thought I'd like the line and I was wrong...I love it! Transformations aren't as difficult,designs are great,figures I thought I'd hate I like. Like Jolt,when I thought he'd suck but he makes a great camshaft. Overall, I love Dotm and I'm sure Prime will be awesome too.

9. FakeEyes22

FakeEyes22 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was pretty turned off by the downsizing. The lack of paint on several toys gave me a bad impression of the line. The way many designs and transformations seemed dumbed down from the complexity we'd seen in some of the ROTF/HFTD stuff was a turn off. I felt like Hasbro/Takara had really stepped up and tackled the style that they seemed to struggle with in the first film and now DOTM was a step backwards.

In hand, however, I'm finding that there is an elegance to be found in the simplicity and these are fun and satisfying to mess around with. A really cool thing is how solid these feel in both modes. The transformations tend to have this nice "flip & clip" method that makes everything hold together well. Nothing here reminds me of G1 toys very much visually, but that solid construction is a nice familiar feeling. I'm enjoying what I've gotten from this line quite a bit!

As far as overall quality, I've had to return a Leader Sentinel Prime for a defective shoulder and a few others seem to be struggling with their Leader Ironhides. I've never had to return a Transformer in my life, so I'm hoping this has more to do with the rush to produce a ton of product than cutting corners in quality since generally things have been great.

Again, I'll say that I'm really enjoying the transformations. I've enjoyed and appreciated the complex engineering we've seen in the past few years, but some of these DOTM toys really take me back to the time where I'd transform a figure once...then immediately pick it up and transform it again. Something is really working for me in that way.

10. Rockdown

Rockdown Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I like the more simple transformations. However, I can't stand the overabundant looseness of some of these figures. For example, Skyhammer flops about like a pizza leaflet. The cheapness of some of the plastics on these DOTM figures is also unappealing. Deluxe Sideswipe for example has the worst quality plastic that I have seen on any transformer, it is sub KO quality.

11. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Besides the jumbo weapons and the pests er humans with basic transformers, I really like this line. Skyhammer and Shockwave already high on my favorites list.

12. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Apart from a run of pretty poor quality purchases at the start, what I have now seems to be quite decent. There are a few parts here and there which feel cheaper, but not really any whole figures. Isolated from other lines the downsizing isn't something that bothers me. Some figures could do with a few more paint apps but then I could say that about most other TF lines in recent years.
    For the most part the engineering is decent quality (although damn you pin joints!) and this line does feel like many tricks have been learnt from the previous ones to allow the movie designs to be realised with less complexity than that of ROTF.

13. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    My one and only complaint from all the DOTM toys I've got so far has been sloppy paint apps. Everything else about them has been awesome.

14. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I have to admit, I wasn't planning on getting any of the DOTM toys but both Shockwave and Human Alliance figures have sold me on this line. I just bought Leader class Sentinel Prime yesterday and I plan to buy HA Roadbuster, Leadfoot, and Topspin (if it's released) along with more HA basics and maybe even Leader class Ironhide.

15. Soulmaster

Soulmaster Well-Known Member

I have just two complaints...
    1.- Size
    2.- NO BALLJOINTS! (at least in the ones I have) and I dislike that =/

16. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Bumblebee is a fine toy, altho I was surprised that Hasbro ceased the mechanism found in the leg in the other versions of said character. Despite that, if there were no Battle Blade Bumblebee then DOTM BB would be the best IMO.

I wish they had fixed the head problem in Sidearm Sideswipe before re-releasing him for DOTM.

I'm glad they gave Sideswipe a toe to stand with... and the visible seats and steering wheel are a nice touch... it's not enough to overcome an otherwise dismal action figure.

17. Astronopolis

Astronopolis Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    i must agree that the looseness is a problem that seems inherent with the engineering of the joints, detenting key joints or even just adding a knurled area where the plastic meets would totally alleviate those issues.

LEAFLETS? America should retract your pizza rights, for shame. :throw 

18. alfred p. sloan

alfred p. sloan Well-Known Member

Of the ones I have bought so far:

Crankcase has such a great design and transformation yet he is undone by sloppy hip ball joints, dreads that must be repaired and middle fingers that have been nuetered.

Shockwave has a hose (LOVE THE HOSE) but that hose severely restricts arm movement.

Roadbuster was desparate for more paint. Good thing I paint.

Top Spin actually exceeded my expectations.

I have a Voyager Megatron, Deluxe BB and just got Deluxe Ratchet but thae have yet to be opened. I hear Megs is fantastic.

19. TfAnimatedfan

TfAnimatedfan Five. Dollar. Headband.

News Credits:
    I think this line is too small and not very posable.

Except for Laserbeak. He's awesome.

20. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Want balljoints? Try the Starscream mold. It's got plenty :)