Minor/Repaint: DOTM Topspin, new head, new hands.

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Pun-3X, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

UPDATE! Two new pics; I don't know why, but I missed the inner thigh details, with the gear-look and such. So, I went back and painted that in metallic gray to match everything else.

I also painted the yellow-painted panels on Topspin's chest and shoulders to match the movie style more. I was a bit more random about the white and red stripe bits, but it still works well:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And, you may have noticed the rough look on the right side of his face. I accidentally slipped while dremeling his chin and gouged him. I had hoped the paint would cover it, but not really. So I went "Hell with it" and painted the gouge with a dark metal down the center. We'll just say it gives him character. :D  You can be honest and tell me what you think is better; obvious or hidden as much as possible.

--(ORIGINAL POST)--

So, somewhere in Radicons, someone posted some pics of a headswap for Topspin by taking the combiner head from PCC Searchlight and plopping it on. I can't find the thread due to the new constraints, so I just want to say that the head swap is a borrowed idea.

EDIT: The head was JinSaotome's idea! Saw the original thread just now. So yeah, giving credit there. :) 

I did decide to take it all a step further--repainting all the grays to metal was a given. I did find the head socket is way too loose, so I gummed up the back half of the socket with two-part epoxy until it fit and rotated snug. Also found the blue was a tad brighter, so I sprayed the head down with Tamiya clear smoke spray--just enough to darken it and blend it better. The original light blue of the face was stripped off and replaced with silver. And I thought the chin was a bit too long, so I dremmeled that down until I got a good look out of it. Also decided to do something different with the hands.

So I'm done, and I thought I'd share:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And robot mode.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here you can see the replaced hands (the pincers came off pretty quickly--didn't have the toy but two days when I got them popped off) The fists are from an Armored Core set from years ago. Best part is, they swivel. :)  I'm real proud of this little mod.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And some fun shots. :)  As you could see, I made my Skyhammer "donate" his rocket launcher packs. They look pretty good on him. :D 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Alteron_Sheng

Alteron_Sheng 'Tis an Kitbasher & Elder TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    WOW
    Pun this looks AMAZING. I continue to love your metallics paint work and the hands are just AWSOME
    Also, love the rocket packs^^

3. Bern

Bern Pathetic fools!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice additions! This is really inspirational, can't wait to mod mine now.

And I just LOVE this shot, I did a double-take to make sure I was still looking at a toy. :D 

4. Somn

Somn 8 stringer

nice

5. gericault

gericault Well-Known Member

Really great work! I was thinking of doing precisely the same thing (head swap and hands) and now I know it'll look good! This is such a great toy, it just needs a bit of help to make it a truly awesome deluxe, and you've done it!

6. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Dude, where did you get those missile pods!? o_O , I so want those for mine now. Great work on this man

7. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. :) 

The missile pods are courtesy of DOTM Voyager Skyhammer. :)  The plastic color won't match, but if you paint all the weapons the same it fits right in. I don't care much for most of the larger mech-tech weapons, but the ports and some of the more static weapon molds like these are pure awesome.

For anyone interested, I have some preshots of the hand swap that I did:

First, cut the hands off. If you notice on the outside of each arm, there is that bit of channel just behind his wrist (with a bit of robot hydraulic/piston/component molded inside) We're going to use this as the hole for the peg of the hand. You want to cut the hand off so that the channel is left open at the stump. You also might want to drill out the robotic piston on the inside so you can get the hand to sit further in (otherwise, it might be too far out to the side when you're done)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, the fists I used were from an old series-one Armored Core toy from years ago. You can likely use Gundam fists, or kit hands, or whatever. Depending on the thickness of that peg, you'll just have to do whatever it takes to make it fit. In my case, the channel was the perfect width, with the end of the channel pinching off just enough that the peg portion fit, but the "plug" on the end of my Armored Core fists kept them from coming out.

You'll also notice I left a bit of "ring" on the end of the stump. Some of that plastic actually steps in a bit at the end of the channel, and I'm pretty sure this is what's allowing the peg to fit in place but keeping the plug end of the fist peg from slipping through. I only mention this so that you don't drill this part off too much.

Problem was, while the fists sat further inside the arm because I drilled out that piston detail, they were too loose going side-to-side. So, I decided to brace it in place with a piece of styrene.

[​IMG]

If you go this route, you just cut the styrene to size until it works for you. I used .060" card stock and cut a piece from that. I don't have exact measurements, so you'll just have to cut a piece and sand it down until it fits flush both inside the arm as well as on the surface:

[​IMG]

(Pay no attention to where I slipped and drilled a nasty spot on that side there. That's not real. :)  )

[​IMG]

And you can see where it's flush with the surface of the arm. The last step was to make "panels" to cover all this up, so I cut from the same card stock of styrene, but in squares. I then worked on shaping them in opposite, with curves to get them to match the arm curves as much as possible. Rounded out the back so it would fit flush with the molded design around each arm weapon port, beveled the edges, ground out underneath and outside each piece to fit with the natural curve of the arms--basically just kept working with them until they fit and matched each other (opposing, so you have a "right" and "left" version) and came up with this:

[​IMG]

This is just one of those things that you'll make work with trial-and-error. Best to start out with a square piece bigger on all sides and work your way in while shaping. The pieces were about 4mm long, and the widths were 6mm towards the back, and bit more than 5 mm up front.

[​IMG]

I think my left arm one turned out better than my right one. But I'm still very happy with them. (And the rest of the figure! :) 

8. micky24

micky24 Well-Known Member

i felt the same thing looking at this..it took me a few second to realize it was the toy

9. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    VERY Cool!

10. wolverenz

wolverenz Decepticon

News Credits:
    this is awesome bro! :thumb 

11. Bern

Bern Pathetic fools!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah definitely pick up a Skyhammer! These work wonders on the DOTM Deluxe Prime too!

[​IMG]

12. _Flashback_

_Flashback_ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Wow, you've taken an already excellent figure and elevated it to amazing status. I'm half tempted to hunt down that PCC and do that headswap myself. Awesome work.

13. ThisGuy

ThisGuy True Leader

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thank for explaining the hand mod. I might have to try this now,

14. JinSaotome

JinSaotome Banned

Ebay:
    Ooh, nice! This is what I like to see, love the hands/forearms!

15. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Thanks! And as I edited above, it was your head mod that really got me started (though I had the figure with head swapping plans--I had no idea what I was going to do!)

UPDATE! (also edited on first post) Two new pics; I don't know why, but I missed the inner thigh details, with the gear-look and such. So, I went back and painted that in metallic gray to match everything else.

I also painted the yellow-painted panels on Topspin's chest and shoulders to match the movie style more. I was a bit more random about the white and red stripe bits, but it still works well:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And, you may have noticed the rough look on the right side of his face. I accidentally slipped while dremeling his chin and gouged him. I had hoped the paint would cover it, but not really. So I went "Hell with it" and painted the gouge with a dark metal down the center. We'll just say it gives him character. :D  You can be honest and tell me what you think is better; obvious or hidden as much as possible.

16. spark crusher

spark crusher Member

This really works! Is it me or does this help the figure to fit in with classics quite well? am going to try this with my armour topspin.

17. prime326

prime326 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    great work

18. seanb47

seanb47 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    While I'm not a fan of these movie molds,they do have some great articulation. I have this same figure in the Black and gray colors.The pincer hands have to go,imho,so for the hand mod,this is exciting to see.Nice work!

19. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime autobot

That's smokin'.

20. JDK

JDK Seen Your Member

News Credits:
    Wow, the new head and the elimination of yellow really change the look of the toy. I liked the movie wreckers less than Skids and Mudflap, but this is actually a really good looking figure. Great work!