DOTM Stealth Force Bumblebee... the big one!

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by tikgnat, Sep 12, 2011.

1. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Yup, I went and got one. If anybody remembers, I did a review of the Stealth Force Optimus Prime a while back, and this guy is the next release in that biggest size class (y'know, basic, Deluxe and... 'Bigger with electronics in it')

Anyhoo, straight in there. No pics of it in packaging, because I'm giddy as a schoolgirl and opened it up already. The sides of the package can sit together to make a 'display base' but they don't clip together or anything, just sit there. Which is kinda crap, it's nice Hasbro are making an effort but this is wasted effort IMO.

[​IMG]

First thing you notice, the paint job is pretty damn sweet. You can see the weird carbon fibre esque detailing in the black stripes, they're not straight up black. The wheels too look really nice, especially when compared to other BB releases. The only real problem is in car mode it doesn't quite fit together properly. The speaker is hidden in the drivers (left hand drive) window.

[​IMG]

Its more obvious from the back, where the rear lights don't quite slot and lock in all the way, and you can see the roof isn't quite flush. Its a minor niggle, but it's there all the same.

Anyway he has two buttons, visible on his back end, similar to the two buttons on Stealth Force Prime. One does the actual transform, one lights and sounds. He only has three lights, one blue under the bonnet/hood, and two light piping to the front headlights. But as with ALL lighted BB releases there's a lot of light bleeding going around the front wheel arches when the lights are on. I 'might' have to try and fix that with some blackout paint. Who knows.

Noises are a mix of Stealth Force Primes (screeching tyres) and HFTD Battle Ops/2007 Ultimate Bumblebee sounds. A few BB snippets (nothing major) and car noises (ie, car alarm deactivating), its hard to tell how many sounds there are, but they don't seem to play in order which makes it hard to count. So I didn't.

But anyway, throw away the stand and we have a swish looking car.

[​IMG]

But push the Autobot symbol on his rear window and it'll open up quite sedately with lights and transformation sounds!

[​IMG]

The blue light in the bonnet/hood makes the engine space glow a nice blue, and illuminates pretty much throughout the transformation, which lasts a good few seconds, not instant. The exposed missile out of his roof doen't shoot very far, maybe 30cm before hitting the ground. More of a fizzle, but maybe its not supposed to be a missile... as we already know Movie Baybee likes to shoot weird liquids at humans. Maybe this just represents his fetish.

Back on topic you can see there's some nice detailing underneath those panels. Push any button again and this time he runs different sounds and flashing light patterns. Oh and before I forget his robot head actually peeks out from underneath his bonnet. It's not a full size proportioned head but it's in there! Nice touch. But how does he compare to other BB's? Pretty darn well actually.

[​IMG]

Against the BB Stealth Force Basic of course he's bigger, but until the two are side by side you don't appreciate how much better he looks. Detailing is obviously higher, but his colour is a more movie true yellow as opposed to orange.

[​IMG]

And as you can see his Stealth Force is much more Movie accurate (IIRC) than his basic.

[​IMG]

As you can see he's actually bigger than SF Optimus, and his proportions are much better than Primes.

[​IMG]

Stealth Force looks good too, but the bit where Prime has the edge is Prime will transform back to truck at the touch of a button, Bumblebee won't. You have to push those rear lights back in to reset him. Which is annoying, but then Bumblebee's transformation isn't electronic, it's all friction motors similar to the Stealth Force Deluxes.

[​IMG]

Now this surprised me. I thought HFTD Battle Ops BB was a really good car mode. But against this guy he actually looks crap. Maybe its the more aggressive styling, maybe its just the wheels, but whatever it is he just looks better. Stealth Force BB is slightly smaller than BOBB.

[​IMG]

And 'Stealth Force' BOBB for shits and giggles. No competition really, but then Stealth Force BB doesn't turn into a honking big robot.

So yes, in general I love this guy. Because his transformation is friction motorised, not electronically motorised he's much more reliable than Prime (who I went through three before I got a decent one). He looks great. The paint while simple, is great, his proportions are great. In car mode he does a good impression of a 1:18 scale model.

But that leaves the one thing that didn't amaze me, well not in a good way anyway. The price! I paid £29.99 UK squids, which works out at a hell of a lot of dollars. Considering all this guy does is move from one mode automatically (needing reset intervention back to car) the price is expensive.

You get what you want, a DOTM Bumblebee with two decent modes and bells and whistles attached, but its the price that's offensive. So if you can, find it cheap to avoid disappointment/money related resentment!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  2. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    WOW...I didnt even know anything about this. very neat

3. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    I needs me some new Stealth Force stuff, and this BB seems to be the one I need!

4. Xzbit

Xzbit Well-Known Member

They r pretty sweet I havnt seen the bb but I got the optimus for my 3 year old and he loves the sounds.

5. dmc2008

dmc2008 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I had never even heard of this.. I wish guns came out of the fenders, but I'm loving that car mode!