DOTM - Starscream

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by lushkwok, Apr 8, 2011.

1. lushkwok

lushkwok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "Truly the universe favors those who persist."

[​IMG]

Did anyone make a review on the deluxe Starscream yet?
    Or it looks too awful to buy?

For me the movie-starsceam is always the less preferred character in the movie.
    I have no-interest in it expect it is a F-22.
    Plus the poor design of M1M2 toys (oversized upper body)
    I have no interest in it anymore.

But the leader class/MPM surprised me a lot
    Apart from the funny transformation, the body proportion is also fixed

This time SS becomes a deluxe class figure
    Let’s see if it is ok or not.

F22 MODE

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the MECHTECH installed, the vehicle is not so fun, let’s remove it as usual.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is are landing gears, if you don’t count the arm’s armor plate, it is a lot thinner than the old one. It changes back to use the leg for the back of the fighter unlike the leader one.

There are 2 3MM stick at the bottom, which means you can add missiles or other weapon yourself, but just to remind you, F22 don’t have any hanging out weapons :p 

The F-22 is in a good form and shape, and the details are also good.

Transform!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Due to the change of structure, he has a gelwalk mode this time.
    And this mode is kind of fun to play with, you must try if you have it.
    The transformation is well designed, like a simplified leader class version, but fun to play.

Robot mode.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With it stand right, it looks a lot better than what I saw in previous pictures.
    The two Mechtech can be plugged to the back, which make him look so much look Turn-X gundam :p 

And the leg can be straighten to certain level, compared to the leader one, he has a bonus waist joint that can turn the leg a bit back ward, which also make the waist joint closer.
    This can help it in both standing and adjust the body proportion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only problem I have is the two big holes at the waist, but I start to accept it after taking these pictures.

The MECHTECH is a pair of knife/machine gun
    It can be locked by combining the two
    And it is big when combined.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The action is ok, yet the leg is still weak.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overall, this one is fun to play with, and good to look at, however the color of the plastic is really poor, and the head is still not my cup of tea…
    Anyway, the design is very good and I will recommend this one to TF movie lovers.

2. drsyn

drsyn Classics Big member

I cannot resist a deluxe Jet, let alone a Starscream.

3. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    DOTM Deluxe STARSCREAM Pic Heavy

Like I said..I dont care whatchu think...I LOVE the BayScream design. Is it better than G1...aaa..NO..but it is kick ass, and he looks the part of a nasty menacing bad guy.

Since TF1 I have wanted a GOOD toy to represent BayScream. up to Leader class, PHAIL. IMHO, the ROTF scout was better than the TF1 voyager..Been wanting...I LOVE my leader class. But sometimes, I wanna just fiddle with a TF, and not go through the whole, "im transforming a leader class, sit back and enjoy the ride" type thing..

Enter DOTM StarScream...
    Mind you this is the 1st Deluxe from the new line I bought. Im just not going to jump on the deluxes, when I know the common trend of repaints..exclusives...boxxed sets..Ill hang back on those..

This is all my opinion mind you, To each his/her own..

This is one of the most KICK ASS deluxes made in a looong time. Ill compare it to terradive...even HA Jazz..I LOVE IT.

Jet mode is ALMOST flawless. Underside shows a bit of arm and leg kibble, but its not bad. ROTF Thrust was a GREAT plane mode, and this is surely on par with him, or better. In F22 Raptor mode, he has mechteks under the wings, horizontal stabilizers, and 3mm clips on arms. There is SERIOUS potential to kit this guy out for any mission or how ever you want him to look..

Retractable 3 point landing gear...Awesome, and you get enough height out of them most weapons slung underwing are off the ground..

COLOR...some have bitched, but this LOOKS GOOOoooooood. Pics dont translate well. It IS a lil lighter than Leader, but when shrinkin to a smaller scale, sometimes it is better to lighten up so detail isnt lost.

Could have used some paint on the chest and kidney/side sections...Ill fix that..

[​IMG]
    By tadave79 at 2011-05-09
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see..The amount of different combinations that this mold allows in jet mode is impressive. great planning on the 3mm clip points...Yea...Yea..We all know the Raptor stores its weapons internally but shit..this is FREAKIN' COOL

Transformation is just kick ass. I would not have thought they would have pulled off a transformation like this, but its done well, and its done DURABLE. The first time you TF it, im sure you will be suprised at the plan. There MUST have been some eureka, or revelation moment with a designer on how to do this one this well.

The bot mode itself, is proportioned GREAT. side profile is thin and not clunky, backpack of wings fold up FLAT, with the wing mechtek points on his back/shoulders. He also has mechteks on his kidney/side area that are just great for cool weapon spots. Mechteks on his forearms...Its great. If there were mechteks on his upper arm, it'd be better, but o well...theres a reason...and you can see there isnt much space.
    Arms have many points of movement, elbow, swivel, ball joint shoulders...leads to GREAT poses..
    Legs are full of articulation, and he is balanced well, so he stands VERY easy, evry thing is REAL tight, and holds it pose. Legs are on ball joints, double reverse knee joins, pivots for the lower legs when his legs are in spread poses...(er...you KNOW what I mean)..Needless to say, the legs will do whatever you want except make me another cup of coffee...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Stock Mechtek Weapons are great as long as you dont put em together. Theats where they get dumb. The guns, on jet mode, look GREAT, and on his back they look GREAT, and I love them on his arms. These are win, and I hope we get tons of these in different forms..
    Side note: When you DO put them together Leader Scream looks COOL, and they look cool on leader screams hands as guns too...Put the things together and sentinal Prime looks cool with the stargate staff)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DUMB

[​IMG]

MUAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SPARTANS!!! This is where THEY DIE!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Clip points
    [​IMG]

Mabye, because its new, I do tend to fall in love with something I JUST GET sometimes, but im really feeling that this mold is one of the best, most thought out deluxes Ive seen. Ive got all the good ones too.
    This one was packed ONE per case. JUST GET IT. this is THE BEST Bayscream, next to LeaderScream.

So much potential...so much articulation...so much MOOAAAR than all the other Bayscream toys (sans leader)

Hope you guys enjoyed the pics, and my thoughts. Im sure some of you hate this one, but the others that are on the fence or waiting for this one...It is one of the better deluxes I Own...and I must have 50+

4. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for the informative review. I just got a Leader Starscream yesterday, and it looks like I'll have to pick this guy up too! Isn't it amazing how Hasbro seems to do something revolutionary with each iteration of Starscream since movie 1?

5. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Stop it! Stop it right now! I don't need another movieverse Starscream! You're making it look so fun!

6. Snake_eyes1975

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hear you, friend...

To me, There is now only TWO Bayverse Starscream toys worth a shit.
    Leader Starscream...Possibly one of the best transformers made.
    And Deluxe Starscream...One of my favorite deluxes made, and one of the most posable, fun, deluxes ever....

The TF1 SC was just BAD. ROTF was better, had a neat TFmation, but plane mode with the hands was PUKE..

This one.....man....Just SO BOSS

And if you own Leader Scarscream, the mechtek weapons from this one look cool for him. Can give him a staff, that is in scale with him, or pistols on the backs of his hands, Or on his back to give a bit of the engine look from the movie...

With the mechtek interaction with the leader...any fans of leaderclass SC, or BayScream will love this one

7. Snake_eyes1975

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    you are quite welcome, Sir..... :) 

This one IS fun bro..Alot of TFs I transform once and put on a shelf..I musta TF'd this one 30+ times already.

8. Snake_eyes1975

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Another thing...

I had a thought, and this would be a PERFECT TF to do it with.

What do you think about a TF box set, that comes with say, THIS Starscream, and a mess of different weapons. Clip weapons, another mechtek weapon, and some of the other ones like I pictured. I can picture the set, Starscream on one side, and weapons on the other, Sell it for $15-$17 and it would act almost like the old G.I.JOE accessory packs.

Id LOOOoooove to be able to buy extra weapons...

AT LEAST repaint this, and give it G1 SC colors with the Classics weapons like in my pics.. Id buy 5 of those

9. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    This. I really, really don't want another Starscream (have, like, 5 of them already), but damn he looks great here.

..... maybe I'll just get Thundercracker (and/or Skywarp, if they make one).

10. axiom

axiom What the what?!?! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I just picked this one up this weekend and literally played with it all weekend! I wasn't planning on getting it or any deluxe DOTM figures. Now here I am, ignoring PE Reflector for some BayScream goodness. It has great articulation, a fun transformation and looks really good in both modes. I love Leader Starscream, but this one is just as good if not better mainly due to its smaller size and articulation.

11. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Yeah, this was one of the surprise breakouts for me. It's an excellent figure, and a great portable version of movie Starscream.

12. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Thanks for the review & pics !

Yeah, he looks pretty good.

Still, imo his engineering would have had better results at voyager size ; missed opportunity :inquisiti 

Nitpicks about this one would be the way the torso shape forms ; not really a convincing single piece & panels sticking out from under wings.

Then again, the ROTF voyager is still my fav. I still can't stand the belly bulk the leader version has, but that's just my opinion.

Who knows, slight chance... i might pick one of these up..or the Thundercracker repaint.

13. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'll skip Starscream, since I have the Leader version which simply can't be beat, but I will probably get the Thundercracker repaint to go alongside Generations Thundercracker and Alternity Thundercracker in sort of a "Thundercracker Through the Ages" thing.

14. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    been looking forward to this one. I gonna have to find something to use for null rays though, not really digging the mechtech for this one.

looks great

15. Snake_eyes1975

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Agreed, But what did you think of the Classics guns on his arms in those pics I took?

I think they look cool, 'specially in plane mode..

If they put out another one of these with null rays...id buy that too..thats how much i love this one...

16. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    I like the way the classics nullrays look in vehicle mode, but I've never been a big fan of weapons that are mostly made up of a missile. Not really sure if I can find anything fitting, but I do have a lot of styrene sitting around, so I may sit down and make my own weapons.

I was thinking something like the weapon on Mitgas's shockwave design, just with a shorter barrel and one for each arm:

[​IMG]

really like how flat it is against the arm, I think something like that would fit this screamer's design well.

17. Isa0

Isa0 Well-Known Member

This toy's pretty good for the size and price. Of course Leader SS is the definite movie Starscream, but this one is 2nd in my opinion. Great articulation and cool weapons. I actually like his lighter shade of gray when compared to the leader class. Both modes are clean and compact, nothing more you can ask for!

18. Strife

Strife Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looking at these pictures... it's shocking how much it basically is the leader class mold simplified and scaled down. I'm absolutely amazed.

19. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not really, no.

20. drsyn

drsyn Classics Big member

lushkwok and Snake_eyes1975 do this figure a good justice. However in person he blows me away.

They've nailed the Movie Starscream design perfectly at this small scale. He's perfect for smacking around Breacher and the Cyberverse Autobots too.