DOTM Soundwave was more like Swindle

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by QLRformer, Sep 15, 2012.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Within the TFverse it’s Swindle who classically handles the element of trading with other parties (including/especially humans). So I was thinking he would have made more sense to be the SLS-AMG Benz rather than Soundwave.

I mean, Swindle would be more fitting when you consider his past history: in a G1 episode he sold off his Combaticon partner’s components to a junk dealer; in ANIMATED he assembled a gang of human criminals to do his bidding; and in the IDW comics he is responsible for having supplied an Autobot-human taskforce with machinery (awesome irony there).

This would have made him perfect and more suitable for DOTM: he would have been the Decepticon-human liaison, running a secret but brisk trade within a human market, providing businessmen with priceless tech in exchange for a few favours (for the Decepticons, more or less).
    In terms of alt modes, I’d see him picking the Mercedes as it would reflect his “moneybags” nature (as in making/hoarding a lot of money). I also believe Soundwave to be less ostentatious in character than to use a brand spanking new automobile as a new altmode, especially when his old satellite mode allows for more stealth.
    Swindle is more likely to tolerate having human partners, having established a business relationship with them; I just can’t see Soundwave taking orders from anyone except Megatron, or tolerating anyone outside of his own minions and Megatron. In fact I don’t see Soundwave at all being as he was in DOTM, I thought he was more menacing and formidable in ROTF.

But if Swindle was the Mercedes, what would happen to Soundwave? Just keep him in the shadows, watching the battle take place from orbit, and keep him for a few critical scenes: deploying Laserbeak to kill them all, and perhaps around the end have him swoop down and grab Megatron’s still-warm parts and fly off into space to reconnect them. Dun dun dunn, it’s not over, here comes part 4!

2. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

I'd say Soundwave was at least one of the more faithful characters in regards to their namesake. I mean, Soundwave's justification of the Tapedeck mode in G1 was to be able to not be noticed while performing recon and spy stuff. In DOTM, he's able to monitor Sam easily by using his human contact to give him to Carly, and then later uses the element of surprise to capture Carly perverted Japanese monster style.

EDIT: Wait, why is this in movie/TV general?

3. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Yes, in a bout of drowsiness I posted this in the wrong board :eek: . I've notified Tech Support about moving it.

4. Autobot Burnout

Just saying, have you considered reducing the number of threads you post daily?

5. TNG Prime

TNG Prime TNG Prime IS a title!

Swindle was a social, deceptive weapons dealer. Soundwave was a quiet, deceptive communications officer/assassin.

6. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

7. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    What he said. Sadly, Burnout, he won't admit it.

8. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Well on the bright side with Swindle not being in the movie that means the production team didn't get a chance to kill him off. I've liked other versions of the character so I'd hate to see him pop up in the movies just to get killed.

But yea given the plot of the third film I could how Swindle would have been a good fit to work with human bad guys. I think they could have still used Soundwave, just more of the ninja or spy type character, might have been cool if Soundwave could out smart the robot detectors so they could have dropped that bad idea.

9. Driftveil

Driftveil You find me offensive

fingers crossed for combaticons for the fourth movie....

Please ;_;

10. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    G1 Swindle was always public, as per good salesmanship he' d need to promote himself and his goods. ANIMATED portrays him as a little sneakier and running a secret trade/market, similar to what DOTM Soundwave did (though it was part of a spy ring).

Perhaps. After Constructicons, they're the next favourite Con combiners. A name change would be needed though, because of 2007 Brawl...

11. TNG Prime

Yes, Combaticons are a great idea. Who wants to see Bruticus vs. Omega Supreme? Or better yet, Trypticon vs. Metroplex? I know I do...

They can call the tank Tankor (Yes, there is a past TF named that who turns into a tank.), or if that sounds too stupid (Which it kind of does..) Ceefore. (Cookie for whoever gets the joke.)

12. MovieGodOptimus

MovieGodOptimus The Stand User

News Credits:
    Reference to a C4 Explosive device?

13. TNG Prime

Congratulations. Unfortunately I already ate the cookie.

14. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Given there was surprisingly little actual "selling" going on, I think Soundwave still was more like... well, Soundwave. The behind-the-scenes spymaster, loyal (or at least seemingly loyal), professional, and at his best, two steps ahead.

Swindle would have been making side-deals every step of the way that enriched his own pockets at the expense of the Decepticon agenda.

15. Autobot Burnout

Soundwave didn't wheel 'n deal in anything, I fail to see the connection here.

Please god no Combaticons. Not only is the concept completely unworkable (Blast Off being larger than the entire rest of the team mainly), but after Devestator was so poorly mishandled, I'd rather the movies stayed AWAY from combiners.

16. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    According to TFWiki and by Dylan's own testimony, Soundwave tapped the stock market in Gould Sr's favour and thus enabled him to become a wealthy businessman, in return for some favours. (Soundwave (ROTF) - Transformers Wiki).

Soundwave would have just intimidated or brainwashed his human contacts into service; the use of money to influence humans to do their bidding is something Swindle would do (and did infact do in ANIMATED), him being the only Con connected with wealth. It's a broad thing to apply to DOTM Soundwave admittedly, but I think it can apply to him in this case.

Maybe if not the G1 Combaticons, they can have the RID Commandos and Ruination.

17. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    I say Combaticons had their window for the movies, and it was blown for them. The first movie would've been perfect for it, but it was ruined. Fourth needs the Stunticons, especially Wildrider. Urban terrorists to create panic amongst the people, to create backlash for the government and Autobots. All while hiding in plain sight.

18. Autobot Burnout

That was in a comic supplement to the movie and not in the movie itself. Since many people, myself included, have not read the comics, we wouldn't have known that. Not like it changes anything about how Soundwave wasn't like Swindle.

Humans are greedy bastards, it was easier for Soundwave to just shower them with money to get what he wanted than to outright brainwash them (he does not have Cerebro-shells or outright mind control abilities, anyway), and the Decepticions were already doing the intimidation thing as well (the whole spider watch thing they transferred from Dylan to Sam when Soundwave reveals himself). Additionally, the money served a purpose as to elevate the influence level of Soundwave's human allies and provided a cover for Soundwave being given to Carly (because what do rich pricks do to impress girls? Give them really fucking expensive cars).

You seem to be hung up on the fact Soundwave has access to lots and lots of human money and drives around as a swagmobile. Because money is involved, he's somehow automatically connected to Swindle, especially the Animated version.

Only problem is you couldn't be more wrong. Animated Swindle, like all true Swindles, was out to make a profit. Sure, he tantalized a bunch of human crooks with fortune and stuff, but after he had them do his dirty work (read: steal parts and then build a time freeze machine) he promptly disposed of them and then turned around to carry out his REAL plan of selling the machine to Megatron.

DOTM Soundwave doesn't give a shit about making money. Soundwave is ALWAYS known for being steadfast and loyal to Megatron, and does what is needed to get the job done. If that means making some humans rich so they can go be rich bastards with other rich bastards, then so be it, once the Decepticons win all that wealth will mean nothing, and Soundwave doesn't individually profit from it.

Yes. Because the Combaticons/Bruticus and Commandos/Ruination are NOT in any way duplicates of each other. [/sarcasm]

19. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

Well they were going for a evil counterpart to BB and Sam with Soundwave and Dylan Gould.

Just think of Gould as another Soundwave minion.

20. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    More cowardly pawns, as the Russian guy, Jerry Wang and of course Gould himself proved. It was mostly intimidation, but there was money given to the contacts to sweeten the deal and of course to enable them to be in influential positions (Voskhod in the Govt, Wang at NASA and Gould for his own company).

Because it IS connected to Swindle. You yourself said Soundwave doesn't give a damn about money, so why does he keep it? To use it as a tool. He doesn't care about it personally, only about how it can aid him in his missions.
    The use of money to secure humans to do his bidding is a trait from Swindle carried over to Soundwave, similar to how ROTF Jetfire is an old-timer in the vein of G1 Kup. It doesn't really mean Jetifre IS Kup. I just thought it more fitting for the Mercedes to have actually been Swindle; while Soundwave also works, Swindle can also equally work.

I noticed how concerned he was when Megatron had his head bashed in by Sentinel in DOTM, as compared to when Ravage and the Constructicons had Megatron revived in ROTF.(sarcasm)