DotM: Skyhammer

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by updatedude, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Meh...Dont get me with the pitchforks, but I think this one is pretty overrated.

Ida rather had a kick ass Hind-D and mediocre robot, than this. Really reminds me of a super go-bot. I dont like the look of the canopy split for the shoulders, With the intake covers hangin off the top. dont like the side profile with the rotor blades. Kinda lazily designed it looks to me.

I HATE how the rotors look in chopper mode. But thats just me I guess, I also spent around 5 hours with a heat gun getting Blackouts rotor blades 100% straight...

Bot mode looks ok....and chopper looks....meh...decent I guess...This is a wait for the repaint for me. even then, I think i would buy 2 of the HA Whirls over one of these guys..

Edit....And I forgot to mention the lack of a Tail rotor, or ducted fan in the NOTAR style. Yea..im a nitpicker with some of that stuff...but..its just not that cool a chopper to me

2. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ Oh wow, you're right. I hadn't noticed that there was no tail rotor. That's kind of like...well I don't know. Maybe this guy should have been named "Whirl." :D 

3. Snake_eyes1975

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    now THAT....was slick...

4. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wouldn't the ducted turbines keep him rotationally stable, in place of the secondary rotor?

5. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    "what a lot of the ROTF got wrong" !?

Ugh... this Skyhammer is simply a non-movie design to me. He looks OK, but it just doesn't fit into what I perceive to be movie design.

What a waste of a voyager slot.

6. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Yes, a toy that is likely to be one of the more popular things to come from this line is a waste of a slot

7. Snake_eyes1975

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yep, Thats what all new choppers are eventually moving to. The goal being not having a tail rotor, or not having a tail rotor connected to the main powerplants.
    The US has or had an experimental NOTAR (no tail rotor) design for the little bird choppers. Not sure if it flew in service..
    The other way to get away from a tail rotor is to use counter-rotating blades to offset torque..Like the Chinook, or russian KA-50

On second Thought...Who the hell KNOWS what we got now. Im an aircraft buff....Ive loved that shit since I was a kid. I can tell you the thrust to weight ratio of pretty much all nato and warsaw pact planes from 1955 on, and every other useless factoid that will do nothing useful for me in my life except be able to "talk planes" with the old geezers at airshows..... And when I saw the pics of the "experimental stealth" chopper used in the UBL raid...I didnt know what I was looking at....

Anyways...The rotors for this one turns me off so bad. Instead of big tabs on the blades they shoulda made em thicker and had the tab INSERT into the blade...mabye woulda made it weaker, but it wouldent look so bad..

If this were rapainted Straight OD Green, with Yellow or white numbers...I Might buy...I keep comin back to this thread to look at the pics...kinda disappointed. I looove chopper TFs too..

8. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    popular with the ones who can't stand the typical movie design aesthetic that is.

9. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Popular toy = better sales for Hasbro, regardless of who it's intended for. Better sales for Hasbro = not a waste

10. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    He looks more Prime than Movie, but still looks pretty movie-esque to me! can't wait for this guy

11. baggzey23

baggzey23 psn - baggzey23

apart from being awesome he doesn't really do anything? (like ROTF jolt)

also his head looks like optimus + jazz

12. artiepants

artiepants #GoHawks

News Credits:
    So far i think Skyhammer and Leader Sentinal prime are the only 2 DOTM figures i'm interested in.

13. ChrisW

ChrisW Well-Known Member

That's perfect! Thanks a bunch. :thumbs2: 

14. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Not a fan of the facial sculpt, I'd love a head remold and an alternate deco.

DEM NOSTRILS :( 

15. vbann

vbann Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    All I can say about this guy is Wow I am VERY impressed. Probably the best voyager ive picked up in a while.

16. DunnoJack

DunnoJack Well-Known Member

I picked this guy up today and have a question about the instructions/figure...

Does the rotor come off the figure? The instructions show the whole assembly coming off for the transformation, but mine doesn't seem to want to. I've pulled quite a bit and don't want to break things. Am I imagining things? Was there a change I missed in the mold, or some sort of release that I'm missing?

Beyond that issue, I really like the figure, and would recommend him to fans of transforming helicopters.

17. 9.8m/s^2

9.8m/s^2 What's in a name?

It doesn't fully remove. Pulling the rotor assembly slightly outward unlocks the chest, allowing it to rotate. Pushing it back in lowers the chest profile in robot mode.

18. DunnoJack

DunnoJack Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. I'll stop trying to pry it off now lol. Still a great figure

19. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    I picked Skyhammer and Topspin on launch day, and between the two, my favorite is Skyhammer. He has one of the finest helicopter modes in Transformers history. Hasbro seems to be able to crank out better and better helicopter Transformers, with Reveal the Shield Tomahawk, they are awesome.

And, for the children of the 80s here, he reminds me a bit of the helicopter from the movie Blue Thunder.

20. Inverse Midas

Inverse Midas Jettisoning weight!

Just got Skyhammer yesterday evening, and I'm loving him! He was the DotM release I was most looking forward to, and I wasn't disappointed. Unique transformation, cool looking alt mode, and a nicely-articulated, imposing robot mode. I had to stray a little from my beaten path to find him, but I'm very glad I did. Highly recommended.