DOTM Sideswipe... bad

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by lobsterclaw, Nov 21, 2011.

1. lobsterclaw

lobsterclaw Well-Known Member

I held off on buying anything from the Movie line for a long time, and the first one I ended up buying? DOTM Sideswipe... didn't work out so well.

I chose Sideswipe over Bumblebee and Road Buster because I had Sunstreaker (yellow) and Smokescreen (race car) from the Classics Universe line so I wanted something different. And I thought Sideswipe is a cool character.

I should have noticed how cheesy his vehicle mode looked. The plastic feels cheap and the dull lack of paint really makes the vehicle look bleh. The transformation lines (especially the blades) also make the car look like it's falling apart.

The ironic thing is, I like his robot mode, even though the lack of paint problem persists. But the sculpt is good and the wheeled feet is a nice touch.

Funny thing is that this is the only toy from the movie line I paid full price for. I got voyager Defender Optimus Prime from the ROTF line for less at Toys R Us. I even got the normally expensive Generations toys for less than SS.

Live and learn I guess.

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think if you take a can of spray paint and paint him silver, you'll be much happier. I want to do this to mine soon, as the lack of paint is really the only thing holding me back on liking it as it is.

Basically, I just don't like the smaller size for the deluxes in general. That's not just Swipe's fault, though.

3. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    swipe is a fantastic figure, sure hes lacking paint and has some trouble in vehicle mode but the figure itself is fantastic

4. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    From a toy standpoint Sideswipe is a pretty fantastic DOTM toy. The problem is that he NEEDS to have paint of some kind. He's just so...dull.

5. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    darksteel uses this mold much better though saying that rotf mold is so much better

i wounder how the wreckers would of turned ot with rotf quiltey .... i made my self sad thinking about it lol

6. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    Silver paint does help this one quite a bit.

7. tehKOREANdude

tehKOREANdude inimitable, original

News Credits:
    something i was sort of disappointed with was how much kibble he had (other than the obvious hanging doors). considering he has no roof, i didn't expect him to have just as much kibble as all previous sideswipe molds

8. stepsongrapes

stepsongrapes Well-Known Member

Read the feedback section. His lack of paint was prominently discussed.

If you're going to be selective about buying figures (2 figs out of all the movie lines) it just makes sense to read the reviews.

9. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    Yeah or you know, maybe even LOOK at the toy through that transparent plastic bubble that is holding the toy to the card... just a thought :p 

10. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Paint or no, for some reason the plastic quality on Sideswipe does seem to be considerably worse than on any other DotM figure I own. I actually have around 15 deluxes from the line, and by a considerable margin, Sideswipe is by far the worst in terms of overall quality. He almost feels like a KO the paint and plastic are so cheap to the touch.

11. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    DOTM Sideswipe mold is fantastic but the lack of silver paint make it look dull,just buy it & may consider to paint it myself with silver paint.

12. lobsterclaw

lobsterclaw Well-Known Member

I actually didn't read any reviews before buying. It was buying on a whim, not planned. I was at Toys R Us to buy a gift for my niece's birthday and saw the TF displays...

I have 5 toys from the movie line: Besides SS and OP, I have Soundwave and Barricade from the ROTF lines and Ratchet from DOTM.

Barricade is by far my fav. of the 5. Solid feel and great look in both modes.
    The relatively lesser articulation and posability is a minor drawback, but doesn't take away from the overall quality. Got him for just $6 too as TRU is still stocking stuff from ROTF.

By comparison I have to say that DOTM stuff feels a little cheaper by comparison.

13. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

It's tough to sympathize with you because your issues (poor paint and broken up vehicle mode) are two flaws which are readily apparent from the packaging. Forget reading reviews and doing research, these are flaws I've seen from looking at them in the aisle. If it's something like colors in robot mode, awkward articulation, bad robot mode kibble, that can be excused because that's not readily apparent from a figure packaged in vehicle mode.

I've passed on Sideswipe because of the choice of plastic color since the beginning, but having picked up Darksteel this weekend I'm in love with the mold. I really don't care for Darksteel's weapon, though. He really can't wield it well in robot mode, and it's uniquely colored enough that I can't just give it to another figure.

In the off-chance Hasbro ever releases a Nemesis Prime/Scourge again, I'll give it to him. All he needs are his swords, anyway.

14. HeavyArms

HeavyArms Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Yes i agree he needs paint but other than that i think he is a great figure.

15. stepsongrapes

stepsongrapes Well-Known Member

The DOTM legion commanders are arguably some of the best scouts ever. The leaders are all extremely solid, as are the voyagers (though a tad small).

The deluxes are probably my least favorite, but that's because I have so many of the ROTF figs which several are duplicates of.

Basically, I think it is odd to make a statement about a whole line, when you picked what is probably the worst figure in the line, when it comes to "cheap feel". You started a thread about one figure and have now generalized to a whole line based on that one impulse buy.

16. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I've passed on him every time I've seen him.

17. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Mold flash is a common, perhaps universal problem on this piece. I took an Exacto knife to him and his car mode radically improved.

Can't argue with any of the complaints. However I think it's a terribly fun mold to pose and transform, and there is even a "third mode." And at the very least his gun is outstandingly good.

18. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    I have a short little tutorial on how to fix this guy's car mode. The problem is that the big tabs in the middle of the blades and backpack kibble actually force the car apart. See:

This tab and this slot are what will be keeping the car together:

[​IMG]

This picture shows where the tabs that need to be cut used to be:

[​IMG]

These two pictures show the flashing left over from the cuts:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is the car with the swords sitting flush with the backpack:

[​IMG]

19. escutler

escutler Decepticon Air Commander

News Credits:
    What is this "third mode"? I'm intrigued by that. I for one do really like this mold, and agree that the plain dull unpainted grey looks bad. It has made me want to try my first custom paint job, though, so I have high hopes for that. I love the Darksteel repaint, and I think it really shows off what this mold could be. All in all, I think it is a fun transformation and he is very nicely poseable.

20. escutler

escutler Decepticon Air Commander

News Credits:
    Thanks for that tutorial! Maybe I am lucky because my figure stays together very well as is, but this may help out lots of other people that have that problem. Nice pics!