Dotm "rotten tomatoes'?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by bigkid78, Jun 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigkid78

bigkid78 I MAKE SHIT HAPPEN!

i dont know if this is news but i was on rotten tomatoes and seen a pole they had. 95% of 40,114 want to see dark of the moon. from the looks of it dotm was setting on top!

2. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Polls on RT, I believe, are based off of audience opinion. What really "matters" with DOTM on RT is the score it gets when the reviews start coming in from Roger Ebert and other big name critics.

3. bigkid78

they took the pole with the facebook comunity

4. Starscreamownz

Starscreamownz Air Commander

News Credits:
    Roger Ebert lost any respect I could give him when he reviewed 2012 positively and ROTF negatively. Both movies being Effects driven movies and being chock fulla loud explosions that Ebert complained about in ROTF.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Yeah, I don't like "recent" Ebert. I could get why he didn't like ROTF, but why he liked 2012 seemed like double standards.

I still like him as a person, though.

6. Cyber Star

Cyber Star Why so Geewun, Loser?

I prefer to see what the people who arent critics have to say about the movie on RT, rather than actual critics. I normally dont agree with what the critics say anyway.

7. bigkid78

yhea what the critics think doesnt matter anyway. i think ebert threw up in a bucket in front of everyone reveiwing rotf!:lol  look how much money it made

8. Starscreamownz

Starscreamownz Air Commander

News Credits:
    He can be as nice a person as possible. But I'm not cool with him being a hypocrite.

9. bigkid78

from what i seen on the site its the most anticapated movie of the year. but the hang over brought in $105.8 "gazzillon"opening weekend. dotm may have its work cut out for it!

10. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

There were no offensive stereotype characters in 2012.

There was no cock-bot in 2012.

The action in 2012 was clear and easy to follow.

2012 was a brainless adventure film, but ROTF was just a mess, and even the filmmakers are admitting it.

11. cnic

cnic Decepticon

Chopperface your sig is fucking sick :thumb , but OT, I think the hype is well deserved and this movie should top the box office easily.

12. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    That did strike me as odd as well. But I've always read Ebert anyway, so just because he didn't like a movie I liked, doesn't mean I would rage against him. He does post some meaningful stuff on his Facebook.

Yeah, I agree with you. Hence why I said, "matters", because that's all you're going to hear about in mainstream media - what Ebert and the other professional critics have to say, and that's apparently what Bay took into account going into DOTM. None of these websites, like USA, Yahoo, nobody gives a crap if the casual family went into ROTF and liked it when they came out. But then when Ebert trashes it, well every website loses their minds. :\ An odd world we live in.

Go Mavs!!! :D 

Several factors may weigh DOTM down from where I think, which I can list another time, from outgrossing ROTF, but it will definetly be a big success.

13. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    On the topic of Ebert, I could never trust a man who rates both Garfield movies 3/4 stars. BOTH.

14. JazzBot95

JazzBot95 Well-Known Member

I don't like recent Ebert either, though my main problem with what he said about ROTF was how he handled the fan reaction as I remember...it was horribly unprofessional, at least in my opinion. At least what I remember of it anyway.

15. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My problem with Ebert's review of ROTF was how he got down in the gutter and lashed out at the fans. Now, it's only fair to say our fandom started it, but he should've risen above it and remained professional, rather than call us neanderthals (I believe that was the term used).

If he didn't like the movie, he didn't like it. He didn't have to offend all of us in doing so. And we shouldn't allow idiots in our fandom to have the ability to open their mouths when nothing but stupid comes out.

There should be a button that allows us to taze a fellow fan when they get to that level of stupid.

16. Starscreamer95

Starscreamer95 'Civil' Nintendo Fanboy

News Credits:
    I want to see Ebert review this movie. Just to see if the man has a revelation in the series.

17. nametaken

nametaken Well-Known Member

you see the responses people write in to ebert with? neanderthal is putting it lightly.

18. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think you are over simplifying things things a bit.

Just because a movie critic likes one action film that doesn't mean that they have to like every action film. There is a huge difference in say Terminator 2 vs Crank 2. There are well made action films that critics love and there are the mess of a film action movies they just can't recommend.

Even in a film series the quality from film to film can vary greatly. Spiderman 2 was a top notch superhero film that critics and fans loved. Spiderman 3 though was just a horrible mess of a movie that couldn't recapture the good stuff about the other Spiderman films. Heck even the Harry Potter films have variations in the their Tomato Meter.

Just because Revenge of the Fallen was in the Transformers series that doesn't mean that the overall quality of the film was the same as the first Transformers film. The effects might have been just as good but the story wasn't the same as a boy and his car. Or the threat seemed like more of a real one in the first film because Starscream could stop the human air force, there was a fairly even fight on the ground, and somehow the Autobots could still come back even if Megatron got the cube. The humor in the first film could be rather cute while, lets just say controversial humor in the second one.

Besides do you really want critics to stay all head strong and stubborn about an entire franchise or would you rather they judge each film on it's own credits? X-Men came back to a 87% Tomato Meter from a 57% Last Stand and a 37% Wolverine so wouldn't you like Dark of the Moon to have a high Tomato Meter if all the bugs have been worked out to make it an all around excellent summer movie?

19. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Oh I see. Another topic that's going to turn into the the usual 'Roger Ebert sucks' bullshit very soon. Gee, how surprising.

Like it or not, the man knows what he's doing. Even though movie critics are trying to be as objectively as possible, truth is a review will always be subjective - it's written from a person's perspective.

Yes, it happens that a critic will like a movie that sucks, or hate a movie that's decent. So what? Hating him because he found ROTF insulting is very, very petty.

20. Nelson

Nelson Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Movie critics usually are like broken pencils: they have no point. On the other hand, a pencil can be sharpened.

Film critics aren't hired for their objectivity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.