Minor/Repaint: DOTM RamJet

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Kraken, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    First time I saw the DOTM Air Raid Mould, I was dead excited. Not because I love the mould (Although I do). Not because it's Air Raid (Don't care about him at all). Not because he's been re-tooled to take Mech Tech (although that helped) But because the second I clocked him I thought 'That's gonna be my Ramjet!'

Once I had him in hand though, I realised a few problems, the red wasn't red, it was neon pink, the wings didn't look right where the pink finished, and his head was white. So I radiconed his arse!

Basically I hand painted all the neon pink parks of his body with a thin coat of Testors Burgandy to darken them, then the wings and tail wings were sprayed with Metallic Burgandy, then masked for the wing stripes, the front ones are actually blue and silver in homage to Ramjets original toy, although they look black and silver in the photos. Head of course painted black and silver with red eyes using Citadel paints. Tail fins and nose cone sprayed with flat Outlaw Black. Missile launchers supplied by his Seeker friend ROTF Dirge, and sprayed Burgandy and Black and finished with Mithril silver, and finally hands painted with enamel black. Everything sealed with Finish.

It actually took longer waiting around for paints to dry than it did to do the actual work. to my delight I only encountered two rub points, that were eaily rectified with a sharp blade (the bits that stick forward on his ankles).

I'm well happy with the results, and delighted to finally have a Ram Jet!

Apologies for the shitty iPhone pics, decent camera is not working

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a really bad poorly lit photo of all my Seekers together!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Stormvapor

Stormvapor Well-Known Member

Awesome!
    So simple and definitely so effective.

3. Kraken

News Credits:
    Thanks mate, it is incredibly simple. After they used this mould for Thrust I thought it would be nailed on to be Ramjet as well, they were nearly there with that urban redeco they did anyways!

4. Bern

Bern Pathetic fools!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice work!

Although I'm not sure if the mold works as Ramjet in my mind (G1 Ramjet was a pseudo-SR-71 [F-15 body notwithstanding], which featured ramjet engines on the wings). I felt the same way about the F22 repaint Hasbro did for Walmart with the Movie 1 mold. But its a tiny nit to pick, and the work here is just great, it looks amazing! :D 

5. Kraken

News Credits:
    I get your point, it's partly why I chose those missile launchers for the wings, to mimic the ramjets on the wings of the original. It's mainly bot mode where I feel it works well for him, he just feels like the bruiser of the Seekers, his tiny little head and line-backer shoulders just say someone who doesn't often use their head for thinking ;)