DOTM Plot Holes

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by OldDirtyBot, Jun 29, 2011.

1. OldDirtyBot

OldDirtyBot ODB

So any kind of trilogy like this that was written one movie at a time is going to have them and doesn't really detract from my overall enjoyment of the film but I still like to find them and fill in the holes myself.

Some may just be from not catching everything as I know I missed a few things that I will catch watching again later, but list out any you can think of.

For me:

Sentinel had created the Space Bridge technology and made a deal with Megatron. What that deal was I have no idea. Supposedly this all happened thousands of years ago. I am guessing mankind existed as primitives since this would have been after the Primes came to earth to stop the Fallen and we saw humans in that scene but its not like there were billions of us to use as slave labor at that point in time. But would Sentinel have really known anything about Earth? How was his deal with Megs going to rebuild Cybertron? Also since he was Prime, he and Megs could have declared a ceasefire\truce\peace whatever to end the war. But Sentinel was taking the Space Bridge technology off Cybertron to do what? If they just needed resources they could have ravaged any planet. Find Slaves? Humans would be a terrible choice even with billions of them. Cybertron has no air, food, water, and everything is giant size.

The whole timing of the Decepticons being on the moon in the 60's getting the space bridge parts doesn't really fit in with Megs being frozen for centuries in Antarctica. Also would they really need a space bridge just to get an Army of Decepticons from the Moon to Earth? They could have invaded and taken over in the 60's pretty easily. Who was setting up this plan from the 60's? Shockwave? The Fallen? Megs made it sound like it was his plan but he was on ice.

2. erjaho0614

erjaho0614 Autbot/Maximal

The plot holes also go back into ROTF. In there, the Fallen said that Megatron was his apprentice, so that makes you wonder when Megs made his deal with Sentinel. If so, he had to know that there was possibly another Prime to kill the Fallen, besides Optimus, since Megs had probably never found out what happened to SP.

Also, it was said in TF 1, that Megatron left Cybertronian space to find the AllSpark, not meet up with SP on Earth to create their space bridge. Maybe they had some sort of pact that Megs would get the AllSpark and SP would meet him so he could transport themselves back to Cybertron with the AllSpark. There's certainly a lot of gray or fuzzy areas to the timeline in this continuity.

3. Sideswipe94

Sideswipe94 Autobot

News Credits:
    I couldn't really sit here and try and nail a head on all the plot holes, which there are quite a few. There's no doubt these movies were written one after the other though.

4. RzaSharp

RzaSharp Well-Known Member

Im on the same page as you.

In TF1 the Autobots minus BB come to earth in protoforms...from where, the moon?

In ROTF the Decepticons launch their assault from Mars/Nemesis (further from the moon) without a bridge.

In DOTM Dylan states that Soundwave and Lazerbeak approached his father in the 60's about the moon landing. Wouldn't Dylan's firm have access to NBE-1(Megatron) and the Allspark if they were in that deep?

In DOTM Megs states that Optimus was setup to get the Matrix and revive Sentinel according to his plan. Yet Megatron and the Fallen believe Optimus is the last Prime, with Megatron "Knowing full well" Sentinel was on the moon, so why did Megatron say "NO!!" when the Optimus killed the Fallen. Why did Starscream say his bit about cowards surviving if he knew there was a greater scheme at play?

5. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    The 2 plot holes I found
    One dating to TF1, someone on nasa ad to be related to Sector 7, already knowing about NBE-01

Another from ROTF, I find it amusing that by coincidence, Prime suddenly gets the matrix even though the fallen was probably not part of the plan.

6. Julliant

Julliant This space for rent.

Like I said in another thread, Script Bridge technology: Cybertronian technology for writers to make new shit up for the next movie, even if it makes no sense in consideration of the last story.

7. PrimePower04

PrimePower04 I got the touch!

the movies should have been planned as a trilogy not on to the next one...

But honestly DOTM did NOT have the glaring plot holes ROTF did

8. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The only plot hole that's really hard to explain away is why Soundwave couldn't manage to track down Megatron while he was sneaking around Earth recruiting.

Sure Sector 7 was top-secret, but they were also a pack of bunglers.

I have little doubt that if there are more IDW comics, they'll go with the fan theory I've read that Megatron was setting up the Fallen for a fatal run-in with SP so that he'd wind up on top.

9. Jericho

Jericho Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's almost as if they 100% ignored ROTF and kind of ignored TF07.

10. chillycheif

chillycheif autobot funny guy

this might not be a plot hole but nothing really explains how shockwave just showed up out of nowhere i mean yea if you played the game but most people didnt and wont

11. Luka63

Luka63 Lukabot

For the first part of that sentence, isn't that what most people do?

12. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    At least they mentioned Megan in a way.

13. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Kimber/Stormer Fanboy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Dylan's firm would not necessarily know about Megatron and the Allspark being in the hands of the US government. NEST/Sector 7 seemed to have no clue about the Ark until the fuel rod was found in Russia. As for Starscream, I doubt he was privy to everything Megatron planned.

14. nametaken

nametaken Well-Known Member

yeah i had thought the only reason megs left for earth was to follow the allspark.

15. RzaSharp

Thats what my mind is telling me. Just thought i'd throw those questions out there. Was just curious because if Soundwave has been keeping tabs on earth since the 60's, he wouldve known where megatron was atleast after TF1. Megatron Trying to kill Optimus in TF1 and TF2 is counterproductive.

16. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    here's my interpretation:

On cybertron Megatron and Sentinel made a pact to create the spacebridge. They would find a suitable planet and enslave the population to rebuild. Megs continued to seek power as a way to overthrow his master, The Fallen. Megs attempted to gain the power of the Allspark and followed it to earth where he crashed.

Sentinel continued with the plan that most of the others on both sides were unaware of. He was shot down and crashed on the moon. Meanwhile Soundwave and Laserbeak make contact with humans and control them through intimidation and fear.

Now TF 1 starts. Bee, the cons and such land on earth. Megatron awakens and again seeks the cube. This will give him the power to stop the fallen. But Megs is killed and he is dumped in the ocean. Now ROTF starts. Megs is resurrected. He has no power source to seek out so he returns to his master. Then the fallen is defeated. Megs is now in full leadership. He resumes his pact with Sentinel..

17. erjaho0614

erjaho0614 Autbot/Maximal

That could work but doesn't exactly why Megatron would go along with the Fallen's plan to destroy the Sun, which would in turn kill off the Earth and it's population needed to rebuild Cybertron.

18. ElectricPrada09

ElectricPrada09 Speedster.

News Credits:
    I'm loving all this speculation:popcorn . It's almost fun in a way not knowing why everything happened. If that makes sense. Trying piece stuff together and speculate is fun.

19. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Sentinel was taking the Pillars away from Cybertron so the Autobots couldn't have them anymore.

It kind of does. Think of it this way. Megatron jetted through space at a fast speed, made it to Earth and crashed. The Ark was disabled and just floated through space at a constant slow speed, which took much, much longer.

This isn't a plot hole. They didn't invade because their commander - Megatron - was frozen.

Not really a plot hole. Just because we weren't shown every conversation doesn't mean what we were shown contradicts itself.

I'm not sure the pact was to meet on Earth, I think the pact was for Sentinel to give the space bridge tech to Megatron. Just because we don't know the specifics of the pact doesn't make it a plot hole.

I agree - and in my opinion they actually did cover this in DOTM. Remember at NASA when that one guy looked completely freaked out over the Ark crash? Like he knew what was going on? I assumed that was a Sector 7 operative who realized the Moon event was related to NBE-1.

For my part, the only actual plot hole I saw was that Sentinel Prime had an Earth Mode before making it to Earth.

20. RzaSharp

I saw that. Right when the Astronaut said "I see what appears to be a giant metal face" It showed the guy back at capcom like "Oh Hell".