DOTM or Battle LA, post your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Moy, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    In a slight way, I dislike how the trailer we saw during the superbowl is almost identical to Battle La. And simultaneously, Battle La has taken some great footage from TF films as well.:sly: 

Last time it was Terminator similarities with ROTF, but ROTF panned out quite well.
    This time each teaser is dangerously alike.

Now, as the summer approaches what concerns are there that Bay & Co. are against with BLA?
    Can DOTM pack enough story this time and special effects to keep it strong?

I'm going to stay with the TF side for now, as I know it will only take one moer trailer to claim who is king.

The race is on!:duel 

2. Pikatron

Pikatron Well-Known Member

I'm planning on seeing both, but I'm a bit more excited for Battle LA because it's more mysterious and stars Michelle Rodriguez (one badass hottie!) doing what she does best.

3. Cliff_prime

Cliff_prime Banned

Cons ships attacking the city is more awsome then anything.

4. daformer

daformer Earth's Reckoning

News Credits:
    Everyone is copying Everyone. for Eg Avatar had those human controlled robots that was in the matrix...but no one cares haha

I will be seeing Transformers! I havent Seen optimus in 2 years!

5. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    I honestly think that Skyline will be the better movie. It just seems like it's not your average no-brain popcorn sci-fi invasion movie, but an actual grim one with a very hopeless tone, where humanity struggles to survive but will ultimately fail. I really want to see how it will pan out, and if it doesn't fail to live up to the trailers that have been released so far, it could be something truly special. Though obviously it won't be anywhere near the box office smash that DotM will be.

The resemblance between the TV spot and Transformers was unmistakable though, but that was probably just a marketing thing to sell it to the Superbowl audience. The trailers themselves differed quite a bit though, and made me think more of District 9 then Transformers.

6. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Yeah, I saw the similarities as well. Yes, the 30 second TV Spots had some similar themes, but when you compare the full-on theatrical trailers, they'll be completely different. But honestly, almost every alien invasion/sci-fi alien/whatever movie looks similar in one way or another to me now. Within the last 7 days I've watched The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951), The War of the Worlds (1953), the Battle: Los Angeles trailer and TV spot, the Transformers: Dark of the Moon Super Bowl Spot AND Independence Day (1996). And it dawned on me that alien invasions are awesome, so it stands to reason that these movies will resemble each other, because they all want to be awesome. :)  When I see previews for Battle: Los Angeles, I think of District 9 and Predator before anything else. And when I saw the spot for DotM, my mind flashed to Independence Day and War of the Worlds (only because they were so fresh in my mind).

But, I'm not minding the similarities. I'm not sweating or panicking thinking "Oh no, the critics will pan DotM and say that it's exactly like (insert alien movie here)!" In the end, they'll always be different. I'll be seeing both in theatres (DotM more than once), and aside from the whole "giant space ships in the sky"-thing, and the fact that they both involve aliens, both movies are attempting to do completely different things with completely different means. One is a gritty alien invasion/colonization/war movie, while the other is a fun, light-hearted action movie about transforming alien robots based on a children's toyline. Does Battle: Los Angeles have trucks ramming head-on and transforming into sentient alien robots? I doubt it. Will DotM have Aaron Eckhart or Michelle Rodriquez as soldiers attempting to survive this invasion? Probably not. Yes, both are alien invasion movies to some extent. But that's about where the similarities end, in my opinion.

I'm guessing that Battle: Los Angeles will be better received critically, but DotM will blow it away at the box office. Hopefully. Just my guess.

7. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

To be honest I'm a bit worried about both films.

With current state of special effects it's not too hard to make an alien invasion film cool in the action bits, but to put together a really good story with interesting characters is a far tougher job. Some films that try so hard to ride on the special effect can really skip on everything else like a few cool scenes will carry the whole film.

But yea the trailers did look a lot alike. Hollywood likes to hedge their bets when it comes to things like trailers so you tend to see the same things when films have the same sort of theme. Although Dark of the Moon should have a bigger opening weekend just because it falls on the holiday release slot.

8. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    IMO this the problem with most Alien invasion type movies.
    They all take the same approach because what’s the other option? Aliens come from Space; huge battle ships will come from the sky. They all kind of look the same, not since Invasion of the body snatchers has an Alien invasion been different.

Oh shit here comes the Aliens, send the Jets, shit we got served...Something with be found out how to disrupt there communication or something. Someone will have to destroy the mother ship.
    Bla Bla Bla..

As cool as it looks on the screen I wasn't expecting to see Decpitcon space crafts destroying the city like that. I kind of wished it would be different, not like every other invasion movie out there..Like robots jumping out of those ships Transform and reaping terra!

Personally I would rather see, Devastator, Meansor , Burticus destroying the cities, not Ships. Save the Skyline invasion for all the other movies that do that.

Ok, Ill reserve judgment of the movie until I see it, but from its cool looking trailer I see nothing that I would consider epic Transformers mayhem. I see War of the worlds, Skyline, ID4 ect ect.

But Prime looking cool as hell beating down those robots as they stand and get what they deserve. Let’s hope we see more of that and less of what’s been done

9. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Battle for LA won't be in theaters by the time DOTM rolls around.

10. Tkemert20

Tkemert20 「Dojyaaa~n」 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Avatar is a bad choice to pick for this topic, considering it was written in 1993.

11. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I fully expect for her to be killed off, but not before she's taken a hell of a lot of aliens with her. Michelle Rodriguez kick ass.

This. I expect the Battle for LA people planned it like that because let's face it, DOTM is going to blow Battle for LA out of the water at the box office.

12. DecepticonsRule

DecepticonsRule Triple-Changer

News Credits:
    If you ask me, after a while, all alien invasion movies star to look similar.

13. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Agreed. Although, there are a few exceptions, it's mostly true. Kind of like how all "crime" or "law" shows are starting to look a lot alike, or every "musical" seems to be the same. But for me, as long as those similarities are very general, or 'superficial', so to speak, and the there end up being lots of details that prove that they're different, then it's okay. :) 

14. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Rolling around a few things in my head and I realized that we might be in for alien over load this summer.

Aliens invade California in Battle for LA. Alien invade Chicago in Dark of the Moon. Aliens invade the wild west in Cowboys and Aliens. Even Super 8 seems to be some sort of aliens attack film. Maybe even throw in Green Lantern for throwing even more aliens at us this summer. Just how many aliens do we need in one summer?

15. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok, DOTM has my vote because it's an attack on Chicago- I mean, IT'S ABOUT FRIGGIN TIME!!! Whenever Chicago is mentioned in alien attacks, it's an off-camera thing (like in ID4). Personally, I can only recall Chicago being in an attack in Bert I Gordon's 'The Beginning of the End' where giant locusts invade.

Though I don't think 'Super8' is going to be as prime an invasion film as the others, but I'm there if for the combination of Spielberg, Abrams, Giacchino and the Amblin Entertainment banner.

16. nazgul777

nazgul777 Well-Known Member

Everyone forgot about Skyline once it left theaters. I predict the same for Battle for LA., and every other alien robot capitalizing film that is sure to be made.

I'm really not impressed with super battle droids marching out of the sea. Remember when aliens were aliens? and not robots?

17. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Transformers would like a word with you.

18. Fonecrusher

Fonecrusher Megatron wants YOU

Aliens are the new Zombies apparently, doesn't help with cheap rip offs like Skyline either...

19. deceptor83

deceptor83 Well-Known Member

Im excited for both, cant wait.