DOTM Mechtech toys vs. ACTUAL movie CGI renders

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TacticalSamurai, Jul 1, 2011.

1. TacticalSamurai

TacticalSamurai Hunter Killer

For those that finished watching the movie, don't some of you guys think you were dissapointed when the actual movie CGI renders of the transformers had different weapons and features then the DOTM mechtech toys we got? Also it goes the opposite too.

Personally I wished Shockwave would've transformed in the movie like the toy, but we also have the toy Shockwave with a not so accurate gun and color scheme...

For the Ultimate Optimus Prime, the butterfly Omega Armor mode wasn't in the movie at all. Instead the truck was a weapon cache for shields, swords, guns and the jetpack.

All the other deluxe class figures and Voyagers like Optimus Prime did not have that solar panel look and huge gas tanks. Nitro Bumblebee didnt look like the movie stealth force, and all the other figure's mechtech weapon features were almost nonexistant.

Megatron didn't have a gas tank shotgun, and Starscream didn't have the swords weapon like in the movie...

Honestly ROTF series toys were more accurate to the CGI renders in my opinion, but the DOTM series did cut lots of corners to get the movie look. That's fine but I didn't like that the features were not closely related to the movie. So far only Leader Sentinal Prime is the most accurate in terms of transformation, weapons, and form (but the stealth force mode given was abit too cheap)...Takara's Jetwing Prime's gatling guns looked awesome but in the film it wasn't really gatlings guns but a bunch of different guns in one package.

Did you guys have any gripes on this? Now I do have most of the DOTM series because I know they are cool and I like them, but after seeing them movie it bothers me why the designers would deviate from the movie designs and features that all the weapons had to be made up and not based on the movie.

2. Soundwavedotm

Soundwavedotm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've got most of the line at the minute and although the weapons aren't cgi accurate the deluxe classes are close I'n style and feel take rachet, topspin and bee as examples

3. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Brony

News Credits:
    I pretty much had a feeling this was to be the case. AT LEAST Automorph and Mech Alive tried to represent the complex and alien details of the robots and CGI renders. Mech Tech was just a gimmick for the sake of having a gimmick, that did not appear in the movie. No surprise to me, really. Like the robots would REALLY have big ass guns that turn into melee weapons. Yeah right.

On the other hand...a third party company needs to get on it RIGHT NOW and make a shotgun for voyager Megs!!

The inaccuracy of the toys vs. the CGI renders in other cases, such as Shockwave and Crankcase, don't bother me too much. In the case of Shockwave, they HAD to give him some kind of transformation, otherwise he'd be just a Robot Replica toy or something. For Crankcase, the Deluxe size and the engineering of the transformation just couldn't provide the kind of bulk that the CGI render had.

4. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    I did feel disappointing that we aren't getting all those weapons when I saw them on screen. Felt that a lot of the weapon had stand out or at least interesting designs.

I also want a prime trailer that turns into that ring/ weapons rack.

5. TacticalSamurai

TacticalSamurai Hunter Killer

Yea, what I didn't like was how the ultimate optimus prime was marketed as IF it was going to appear in the movie...

6. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Not entirely unprecedented. In the past they've started designing toys before they have final CG models,and in some cases gone back and turned out new versions.

With the final movie...for the forseeable...in the can, it's somewhat debatable as to how much of that they're going to do this time round however.

7. OptimusPrimeFour

OptimusPrimeFour Autobot Supreme Comander

I agree 100% it disapoints me.

8. kiko315

kiko315 Well-Known Member

^This.

Megs' shotgun should be in the works by now....

9. Metallitron

Metallitron Decepticon of Malice

News Credits:
    I dont understand why Hasbro spends millions of dollars to have characters in THEIR movies to promote THEIR toys and they can't even provide decent renditions of these characters, yet give us TONS of characters that weren't even in the movie!!
    PUT THEM IN THE FUCKING MOVIE THEN!! Shit make the toy designs and THEN put those designs in the movie.. How fucking hard is that. Instead, when it comes time to mis-match CGI to the toys, Hasbro couldnt do a better job missing their mark with their own accuracy, geez

10. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

idk i am glad there is no "butterfly" wings mode for prime. quite frankly the ultimate optimus prime is pretty lame looking, and reminds me a lot of Ultimate bumblebee, and it is nothing more then a giant gimmick former.

and to me, i always wished the cartoons/movies, looked more like the toys, then wishing the toys, looked more like the show.

example. Rattrap tm from beast wars, I love the toy look, but the show put the wheels on his shoulders.

but generally I do like the way the toys are, and normally i prefer their looks over the show's looks. I think ROTF optimus prime, and megatron *leader class for both* look best in toy form, i don't think megatron looked very good in the second movie, i mean lol

also i know the CGI is amazing, and they will never be able to engineer a toy to be exactly like it, at least not for the budgets of them actually going to be able to profit off them toys :lol 

and the mechtech things are nothing more then a gimmick to me, if i do, or do not like the weapon that it comes with, so be it, it comes off.

and if they don't have the weapon they have in the toy form in the movie, so be it, i never expected them to actually have them in the movie to begin with, other then maybe a select few.

i mean, look at the reactor armor from gi joe, and the invisibility cameo thing that they wear in that movie, both are only ever really used once, for some quick little stunt, and then it's over with.

to me i saw those gimmicky mech tech weapons as just that, for a quick stunt, and then it is over with lol.