DOTM looks a lot like "Alien"

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by DecepticonsRule, May 20, 2011.

1. DecepticonsRule

DecepticonsRule Triple-Changer

News Credits:
    Alright, the teaser trailer for DOTM had a ridiculously "Alien" feel to it. Pretty much the whole trailer was the scene in Alien where they discover the crashed ship. From the ship being back-end-up in the planet, to the way the astronauts entered and explored the ship, to finally waking something up inside it.

Now, this new 3D trailer has a moment where Optimus and Ratchet enter the Ark. In the middle of the Ark, there's a dead robot at a massive turret (you can see it at 0:40). That also looks really familiar:
    [​IMG]

I'm not sure if they were intentionally making all these "Alien" references, but my god, it feels like they just changed what kind of "alien" is in the ship, and kept pretty much the same shots.

2. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought the same exact thing when I saw it.

3. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about that.

The discovery of the crashed spacecraft on the moon by suited astronauts is always going to invite comparisons with Alien because of the similar content.

However Michael Bay shoots, lights and cuts in a very different way to Ridley Scott, so I doubt the full version of the scene in the film will be 'Alien-esque'.

I wouldn't put it past both Bay and ILM to have snuck the turret guy in as a little in-joke though.

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Neither would I. You see all kinds of not-overt deliberate references in movies these days.

5. Starscreamownz

Starscreamownz Air Commander

News Credits:
    Not to mention all these directors are probably buddies and do this kind of thing to surprise each other.

6. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Heh, that's cool, a little nod to Alien. It doesnt seem that the crew of the Ark is dead - not only Sentinel reawakens in the teaser, but the dozens of robots on the moon come to life.

I think it'll just be a visual homage to the derelict scene in Alien, if nothing else. People exploring a ship full of dispatched crew members. I don't think it'll have the mysterious horror feel to it that Alien had - since it doesn't seem the Ark crew will facehug Buzz, Neil, Prime or Ratchet. It'll probably be mysterious alright, but not at all horrifyingly suspenseful as Alien. Thank goodness, since I'm still scarred from seeing Alien for the first time years ago.

7. nametaken

nametaken Well-Known Member

i thought it was a nice nod.

8. cnic

cnic Decepticon

LOL. I still have nightmares about that movie and every time I get a stomache ache I think, Oh shit please don't let an Alien come out of my stomach!!!! lol

9. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Who says Easter Eggs have to be hard to spot so I think it's pretty cool they put in an easy to spot nod.

10. cnic

cnic Decepticon

what I want to know is...with that big ass gun...how the hell did they get shot down????

11. That_One:)

That_One:) Well-Known Member

man, Alien is such a good movie I wouldn't care if DotM copie d a bit from it...although we can all tell that Alien's climax and DotM's climax will be MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCH different lol

12. iamamachine

iamamachine colonyofcells

News Credits:
    Dark of the Moon reminds me more of the invasion movie Independence Day. Maybe Sam will hijack an enemy space ship, go to the control center and pee on the main pillar to stop the invasion.

13. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Yes.:thumb 

There are a lot of artists that have worked for different films. Is it a coincidence? Nah, just nice to see their work in different styles.

I'm sure if you're a sci-fi person you'll notice many similarities among various films, some more obvious than others.

14. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

With the insane hours and how crazy the work conditions can be you have to figure that film makers must be really love movies. Kind of nice to see the nods that production teams put in to their favorite films.

15. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

Actually its
    shot up. According to the novel snip Starscream blasted the Ark at Cybertron's orbit. It seems to have been drifting ever since.