DOTM line not so bad...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Chrackalakis, May 27, 2011.

1. Chrackalakis

Chrackalakis Astrotrain Engineer

So I finally got around to picking up some of the new DOTM toys. My initail reaction to leaked pics and reviews was to get none of them. After recently watching Peaugh's reviews I knew I wasn't paticuraly thrilled with Voyager Optimus, on the the other hand I knew I had to get Voyager Shockwave. I caved at WM today and picked up both and deluxe Starscream. Here's my thoughts...

Voyager Optimus 4.5/5
    I cound'nt have been more wrong about this guy, he is awesome. Rotating the arms to place the wheels behind makes all the difference in the world. He has great articulation, and his legs are molded perfectly. Even the fuel tanks are cool looking in person, especially in bot mode as they look very menacing from behind, plus they pop right off if you don't like them so no biggie.The "hood armour" isn't bad either, looks great in hand, and has to be part of some newly designed vehicle weapons system (I'm a nerd for sure for saying that) we'll see in this new movie. If this one is this good I have to break down and get the Takara version voyager w/trailer.

Voyager Shockwave 5/5
    In a word he's fantastic, everything you could hope for in a movieverse Shocky. Doesn't get much better than this. (Light piping is so awesome)

Deluxe Starscream 4/5
    For a deluxe he's pretty great, cool transformation, looks good in both modes, all around solid fig.

I love TF's, but have never cared much about scale, cause let's face it, with TF's perfect scale between your bots just ain't gonna happen. With that said I'm hooked again. Last movieverse TF I picked up (HA Jazz) was a long time ago and only made the fifth in my whole TF collection. But with these DOTM I'm super excited about the line!!!

2. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    there are a few more good ones... try Topspin, Ratchet, and Megatron...

not everyone shares taste in aesthetics, but I think you will agree if you played with those I mentioned, that they are pretty good transformers.

3. Chrackalakis

Megs does look great too, if I had the cash I would have picked him up. Definietly a future purchase.

4. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I highly recommend topspin btw. Out of all the deluxe, I really love his transformation. If I have to describe it, it was like Warpath's. Little details the designers did that makes him not only have great articulation, but just makes him FUN to transform.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    DOTM is not nearly as bad as everyone says. It's got some really cool toys in it. In fact I can't think of any figures in particular that I would say are bad.

6. Chrackalakis

Who else would you vets recommend besides Topspin, Megs and Ratchet??? I want a new BB but there's no way the new deluxe compares with HFTD is there?

7. bigkid78

bigkid78 I MAKE SHIT HAPPEN!

i have both op and megs. voyager megatron is badass! but the 2 dont look like they go together. the bb prime and dotm megs look perfect!

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Leader doesn't look bad. Stealth mode, FTW. Nitro is adorable, and has a different thing going for him so he doesn't feel like he's competing with HFTD. Personally I don't think the new deluxe looks bad, I'm just bummed his redesigned chest is barely implemented.

Also Crankcase is epic. Anything Cyberverse (especially the commanders) Also I'll add in that I agree Ratchet and Megatron are fantastic.

9. Pikatron

Pikatron Well-Known Member

It's difficult to recommend anything else seeing as you already own what has to be the best figure in the line thus far. (Shockwave) :) 

10. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    Don't get hooked on Cyberverse, it's comparable to breaking a crack addiction or something in a similar vein if you try to stop.

11. darkwingduck13

darkwingduck13 Caped Crusader

I'm really only waiting to see Shockwave in person. I've already got Powerglide, so once I have Shockwave, I'll have the only movie toys that I'll be buying for a long while.

12. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can't speak for most of the Deluxe Class, seeing as I only own like four of them, but I definitely recommend Crankcase. I warn you though, the dreads are cracking and breaking on mine already, so you might end up losing those. They're not necessary for the completion of the figure and he's badass with or without them.

And yeah, Shockwave is one of the better figures to come out of this line. I'm a little worried about them giving him a Leader Class if it comes to that, because we saw how Leader Ironhide stacks up to Voyager. Yuck.

13. Pikatron

Pikatron Well-Known Member

They're sooo inexpensive though... $5 and $8 are soo difficult to resist!

14. maximus_73

maximus_73 Well-Known Member

so far I got Leader Class Sentinel Prime, Voyager Skyhammer, and Powerglide. I think they are great, and I am waiting to get Leader class Ironhide.
    For the last movie I only got Buster Prime and HA BumbleBee

Much improvement this time.

15. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

I've yet to get the two I want really badly (Shockwave and Skyhammer), but I did pick up HA Sandstorm.

Forgetting the fact he's an HA, Sandstorm is EPIC. He's got insane articulation, outclassing most of the ROTF scouts, and he's even a triple changer with the inclusion of the artillery base/mechtech weapon that DOESN'T screw up the figure. I want to pick up some more of these HA's, and I can't wait for Whirl to come out, he looks totally boss.

16. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would recommend Skyhammer as well :)  Nice to see a few coming around to the movie toys. I was planning on getting them, but I have to admit I was skeptical about them. I could do without the "mech tech" gimmick, but that is a minor thing as you can just put those off to the side if you like.

I only have OP and Powerglide Commander series so far, but I plan on getting most of them. I really like the articulation for such little toys and they are so transportable and fun to mess with. :thumb 

17. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    No, they're not so bad... but most of them could be better. In some cases a lot.

Deluxe Bumblebee was a very pleasant surprise for me. While it looks like it's just a slight retool of HFTD BB, it has a very different feel to it. For one thing, the transformation works a lot smoother. While HFTD was rated a 4, DOTM is rated a 2. (But never mind that since they changed the rating system). It is, I think, probably the easiest deluxe Bumblebee transformation, even though it retains the complexity of the previous figures. The main exeception is HFTD had double-jointed knees.

18. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Depends on your tastes. Features and deco aren't quite as good, but there are a number of other subtle improvements, that IMO, make the toy more fun to transform.

Proportions are better, not so tall and lanky. Wheel arches on the thighs now fold up partially in front (not as far as they're supposed to, but better than BBBB, whose don't at all, unless you stick them out stupidly). Cleaner arms, without the big, bulky gauntlets, and properly-oriented elbows. Chest parts all snap in place nicely, unlike BBBB whose chest panels were easy to push out of position, and the waist articulated freely this time without popping the chest up. Transformation's cleaner; no super-fine clearance slipping the chest past the head, no need to cram the arms into the cabin space perfectly, no tricky tab set-up with the rear windshield.

By all means, the toy isn't a necessity. Transformation is nearly identical to BBBB, so you're not missing much there, and of course, there's the loss of features like the battle mask and transforming weapons. But I find myself enjoying the toy a lot more than I thought I would, too.

19. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Crankcase is a great purchase, though getting him back into vehicle mode is far more difficult than it should be (rarely ever have issues with a deluxe). Roadbuster has really grown on me as well, and I already liked the figure. And gotta further the recommendations for Topspin, he's pretty ace too.

20. Stune

Stune Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I never thought I'd even consider getting the deluxe Starscream mold, but he's next to Skyhammer as my favorite from the line. And now I want to complete the rest of the Seekers if they come out at this scale.

They're just such, clean, fun, yet detailed figures to fiddle with.

They really didn't fail to sacrifice intricacy, and quality for playability with this line.

HA Basics are great as well. Backfire surprised me, and Icepick even more. The two I didn't expect to want are the only two I want.

I hope Dragstrip and Whirl turn out well.