DOTM Leader Sentinel Prime Pictorial review

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Peaugh, Mar 15, 2011.

1. indie

indie Guns! More guns!

Well, i was speaking relatively of course. We have several dozens of scouts, Deluxes and Voyagers for each of 4-5 Leaders. And some of those Leaders aren't the characters that should be leader size. (you know, classic Blackout against Bumblebee, Bonecrusher against Ironhide kind of discussion)

i know making many leaders are not profitable for hasbro, and i know kids will want autobots more, but i also don's see the point of spending 50-60 dollars on giant ironhides or bumbebees for kids to crash and smash one on another, while there're perfectly cheaper and kid-friendlier versions of those characters to get.

One might argue that there're (would be) smaller and cheaper versions of Optimus, Sentinel and Starscream etc. as well. But a big Optimus (or Helicopter, Firetruck, another Jet ...), everybody (kids and collectors) will want. A big Bee, mostly kids will want, and only a small fraction of their parents will buy.

2. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Bloodsail Admiral

Buster Prime

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    How can people be so sure Hasbro won't do premium repaints? FFS, repaint is Hasbro's middle name (yes, I know they don't actually have a middle name). It's FAR from impossible.

As for this thread, pppttt. SENTINEL KICKS MAJOR ASS. Every review I've seen and read says pretty much the same, and I agree with them. Absolutely stunning figure.

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  4. TFormerfan

TFormerfan Maximal

Never liked how he looked either

5. TFareCool

TFareCool TFW's Camera Guy

News Credits:
    Where can I find Buster Prime at Retail at US Target or WM?
    Buster was a special Japanese release, not 'premium'. We have had no ROTF primiums.

As for Sentinel, I think he looks fine. I don't have him in hand so I may have later Gripes, but I'm definitely picking him up.

6. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I already had plans to only buy him on sale. Or hope the Takara version goes on sale for $40 at some point.

7. havanowoncheese

My point is that there have been premium paint jobs done on some of the figures. The takara versions with better paint apps may not be as practical and less economical they are there. That and i recall stores all over Columbus ohio having the premiums shelfwarm to a degree. The premium figures were great for the fans but poor for the general market when you consider how late they came in the movie toy line. Kids already had the toys and a parent is not gonna buy a toy there kid has just because it has more paint.

8. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Merged with existing feedback thread.

9. TFareCool

TFareCool TFW's Camera Guy

News Credits:
    Yes on some figures. But not recently. The premium figures were from TF1 only. Still the Takara was more marketed as collectors item (higher price, special box art etc)
    ROTF main line has had no 'premium' style paint jobs, and I predict Has. will not do another full 'premium' line again.
    Granted SP mold might get repainted into another character with better paint, but it won't be Premium release.
    I think your point was "Buster Prime" :p  /Joke (don't kill me)

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Which, oh right, Hasbro didn't do.

But my point is that Hasbro has not done any "Premiums." They're over that.

Indeed. I can go out to my local Zellers right now and grab a Premium Megatron if I wanted.

Impossible? Oh heavens no. Likely? Everything points to "Not." They have not done premiums since. If a character gets an updated, more accurate figure it's usually an entire new mould. They were short of releases for TF1 due to high demand and needed something flashy and easy to get out while they were working on Animated. Premium didn't do so well, and chances are they're not going to try it again.

And technically redeco is their middle name. /trollface

11. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    It's FAR too soon to definitely say that Hasbro is "over" premium repaints of movie molds. Remember, they can't use these molds in other lines so they have to blow their load before the series ends.

12. havanowoncheese

True but i think if people want premium paint jobs they should watch takara and not count on hasbro for it.

13. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    Took him back to the store.....I'm gonna get the takara version ldr SP.....

14. amethysted

amethysted Well-Known Member

Just picked up SP straight from the Target backroom. Didnt even make it to the shelf!

He is big. He is magenta red (NOT like Optimus). And a simple boxy fire truck...

The mold is nice. Lots of cool details and a good looking bot face. Bot mode is articulated in all the basic points. No waist rotation... Ankles are very articulated. The sculpt is fine, but not as detailed as Voy Megatron (which I'll post a comment on after SP). Robot mode does not stand upright without help. His back is very deep and his feet (although big, have truck nubs sticking out) dont make contct to the ground. It gives such a big heavy figure a very small footprint to ballance his wieght on. I took the 2 AA batteries out to take off a little wieght. Didnt help much...

Sword is neat. Shield is pretty lame. I leave out the top and clip in the bottom and front gun. Weapon staorge is smart and well done in truck mode...

He has a few nice mechtecc holes on his shoulders, arms and some nice opening hands.

I would like to see more paint deco for the price. But all the basic patterns are painted silver, gold or black. The clear windows are nice. But mine is scratched (straight ot of the box) from the robot inner chest foldings. And when you convert him to truck mode you can blatently see his head. For this reason, I wouldnt have minded tinted windows. Black or blue to match the siren light on top... Sounds are cute and loud, too.

Stealth force mode is a bad joke. It's aweful... Total after thought...

But the robot is where SP really shines through...

I wouldnt mind seeing a blue redeco, Magnus!

Score: 7 /10

15. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    I made the same mistake with this guy that I made with RotF Leader Prime, in that I attempted to transform him – without instructions - during those mind-muck minutes before bedtime when the brain has pretty much checked out for the day. It totally kicked my ass – took me like30 minutes just to get him into a rough approximation of a fire truck but with few parts actually tabbing into place. Gave up and went to bed feeling a vague disappointment with the thing, but knowing that I'd most likely have a vastly different opinion when my brain was actually working.

Went much better today. I wouldn’t go so far as to call his transformation “intuitive”, not overall at least, but it is very clever and fun. I dig the color scheme as well. Sure it’s a bit lacking for painted details, but it looks fine to me and it’s certainly not as bare as I was expecting. Alt mode is fantastic and rolls really nicely. I love how he looks next to Animated Ultra Magnus and Classics/Whatever Inferno.

Only problem I’ve noticed so far is that his left shoulder doesn’t clip into the torso very tightly and will come loose with even slight movements. Those shoulder clips are strangely tiny for such a big toy, especially when you factor in the tight ratchet joints.

Overall I like it. Not sure if I like it enough to shell out for a snazzier Takara version though.

16. amethysted

amethysted Well-Known Member

Yea, I admit I had a tough time converting him, too.

Thats one of the guilty pleasures of being a TFan.

Transforming without instructions...

Both my shoulder tabs are fine. Solid.

But I did get a scratched windsheild. Being packed in bot mode can have its disadvantages...

17. tehKOREANdude

tehKOREANdude Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pic request! How does sp look with voyager optimus and megatron? thanks!

18. vbann

vbann Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    one word...awesome
    [​IMG]

don't know if its just me, but im getting gundam vibes looking at his design

19. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    im kinda dumbfounded that so many can piss on this one.

The TFmation is so clever the way the arms go into the legs..I LOVE how the panels make a Caped look. Reminds me of Vector Prime, Which I thought was cool.

Truck mode is everything I would ask of a GOOD transformer. A REAL car or tank or chopper that looks EXACTLY like it should.

Articulation is VERY good, and I put mine in a new pose everyday.

I have no complaints about lack of paint. I think everything goes very nicely.

Feet?!? Really??/ I just swivel the rear spur/heel down a bit and he will never fall backwards. I think the feet are VERY stable.

Hell, I even like the electronic voices and sounds, and when a mechtek weapon is plugged in he says two different things.."What just happened to the allspark?" and "Good to see you alive Optimus..." Very cool...and lends hints to what I may see in the movie. Ive long thought Sam will pass the matrix knowledge back to Prime..

The only complaints I have with this figure is
    -When I TF him into truck mode the top dosent want to stay down in one back corner, but I think thats due to me not getting the feet just right.
    -The shield gun...I love the shield, I even like it with the sword on it in truck mode, But why in the hell is this guys Blaster always pointing down?!?! He should have came with a gun...PERIOD. The HA Basics, especially Backfire looks good, but still..shoulda came with a gun, Same gripe I had with Prime.

I think that the more people see this, and then see it in the store, and then see it in the movie...most of the negetives will go away.

I stand by what I said before, "I think Sentinal Prime is one of the coolest transformers made in a loong time, surely makes my top 10 list"

This is one you HAVE to have in your hands, then it will end up in your collection..

20. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Havent transformed him yet, and probably won't. Great looking figure, my only gripes are that one of his arms doesn't seem to like to clip in too well, is there something other than the little black connectors that latches it in? The other one, (which seems to be with a lot of figures int his line) is that some of the joints seem really loose. I am having a hard time getting a decent pose out of him without him falling over.