Customs: DOTM Leader Ironhide Help

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by kiwiprime81, Dec 15, 2011.

1. kiwiprime81

kiwiprime81 Member

Hey everyone,

I've just started into the world of customizing and have run into a brick wall and need the help of the awesome people here.

What Im doing is trying to make the most CG accurate Ironhide I can. Im changing the back, arms, legs, and feet.

The problem Im having is that my knowledge is limited and Im struggling to design & build the new legs. Im hoping to have full articulation in the hips, thigh (swivel), knee (hinge), and ankle (ball joints). Ive noticed the for this area the figure isnt very accurate. I was hoping to have the tires actually sit in the thigh but that might not be achievable.

Can anyone offer some advice on skills or info that may help me achieve this. Attached are the images Im using as reference and hoping to achieve (as best as possible)

Attached Files:

2. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've been trying to figure something out as well. If I can figure anything out I'll be sure to let you know.

3. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about how to achieve this as well. This project is going to require thinking outside the box a bit. You (like me) are probably thinking along the lines of how to modify all the pieces already present. If you just think about whrere there are pivot points(like the knees) and ignore everythign else, i think it could be possible. When I look at it now, I ignore the "fake" inner leg panel, becasue trying to work around that would be impossible. I'm also ditching the leg weapon gimmicks. Whiel i think they are pretty cool (the knife at least), they hinder what you can do with the legs.
    I'm thinking about lengthening the thigh a bit, and shortening the lower leg.

R!

4. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Actually, o think what really needs to be done with his legs is just shortening the lower legs all together and leaving the thighs alone.

5. Bigbot3030

Hmmm, you could be right. I just thought his proportions would be off. Wish i had photoshop on my computer......

R!

6. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm just judging off of the production image that the OP had posted. His feet are wway to far from his knees. If they had made out so that the ankles where right next to the rear wheels, he'd look more proportionate to his on screen self.

7. Bigbot3030

yeah, i totally see what you mean. Anouther idea i had was to use the space where the weapons are to rotate and hide the wheels into. then you could make a pair of dummy wheels that would go on the thighs. May or may not be easier than making a linkage for the real wheels to move up (if you wanted it to be super accurate).

R!

8. kiwiprime81

kiwiprime81 Member

May have come up with a alternative idea, just gotta see if I can pull it off, this fig is gonna be non-transformable, that way I can get closer to screen accuracy

9. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If I could come up with a way to make the feet slide up the lower leg, that might work as well... For a transformable figure that is.

10. kiwiprime81

kiwiprime81 Member

Has hit the wall...

Basically Im trying to get it as screen accurate as possible & the part I need help on is the thigh configuration. Using a CG model as a reference guide Im trying to figure out how I can still allow the wheel to connect to both the hip & knee ratchets? I have attached a picture showing what I mean and what Im trying to achieve.

Any advice people would be much appreciated

[​IMG]

11. Zildjian

Zildjian Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Like this?

[​IMG]

12. kiwiprime81

kiwiprime81 Member

13. Zildjian

Zildjian Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Encline and I did almost the exact same thing.....

If you dont want to use his existing thigh you will have to scratch build a new one. Simple as that IMHO.

14. kiwiprime81

kiwiprime81 Member

For you easy, for me not so much...