DotM Leader Class ironhide

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by alexcollier, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Because the execution could have been much better? I still wonder why Bumblebee is a leader, but even he is overall better designed then Ironhide here is. And they really could have done a better job with tidying up at least the back a bit, or to give his legs a better transformation, like with the new Voyager. Would have reduced the kibble on the arms too.

2. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    I'll be looking for him. I think he looks great. The belly cannon is kinda neat.

3. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I love this ironhide. This will be the definitive movie hide for me.

4. NothingHead

NothingHead Well-Known Member

News Credits:

I'm just not seeing it; yes, all the elements of the design are there, but they're not put together right at all. The proportions are way, way off. It's still not a perfect fit, but the new Voyager seems to have gotten a bit better, and I think that's where my money will go.

5. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    ?

The Voyager has even longer legs. I don't understand why you say it's way, way off when it obviously isn't. Massive torso? Check. Bulky legs? Check. Even the arms are alright, they look bigger on the art because of the cannons but they're normal.

6. GUIGUI

GUIGUI Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What with this one?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't know for the rest, but in all objectivity, this leader Ironhide is way better than leader Bumblebee.

7. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    I never expect 100% accuracy out of movie TF's. Some come close but as close as ROTF leader Prime got he's still not as close as the upcoming Dual Model Kit Optimus. Now this by all means does not mean I accept all movie tf toys. I do like this new ironhide a lot.

8. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I can't figure out why he needs the fake boobs. They look like they exactly replace the real ones. Don't look stylized or sized or anything...

9. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Stability?

Having the grille bits built into the chestplate allows them to very structurally sturdy, and provide a large surface area to clip to, unlike the hit-or-miss clipping mechanisms of Ironhides of the past.

Plus it's possible that the real grille might have interfered with the gun mechanism in his chest.

10. Sepultron

Sepultron .

Wow he's big. He almost looks LARGER than ROTF Optimus, which isn't a good thing IMO. Still waiting for actual side-by-side pics though.

11. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ He looks just shorter than RotF Megatron, which means he should at least be noticeably shorter than Optimus. He's a little big for me too, but I think I can overlook it what with the awesome smacking me in the face.

I actually probably wouldn't buy him if he wasn't at least the shortest of the Optimus/Sentinel/Ironhide Leader trio. But even if that were the case, he would probably be a good friend to HAs.

12. NothingHead

News Credits:
    Ironhide's feet are MASSIVE. Combined, their mass is as large as his chest, and their length from toe-to-heel is slightly longer than the length from ankle-to-hip. The splayed width of his toes is two-thirds the width of his chest. His head, which is half-again the size of his fist, rises halfway above the truck cab that makes up his pauldrons. His hands reach past his knees to a quarter-way down his calves, and are in fact slightly longer than his forearms.His thighs are large enough to completely contain his rear wheels, and his codpiece is as tall as his head. His chest armour rises to his chin, nearly as high as the tallest point on his pauldrons, and extends forward well beyond them. The breadth of his chest, while massive, extends to only slightly past the space of his knees, due to bowlegging, and his shoulder actually sit square above his heels. Adding in the mass of his guns, movie Ironhide fills in a roughly pentagonal shape, approximately eight heads tall.

The toy is about seven heads tall. His proportions are more closely aligned to those of a adult human male, albeit with an exaggerated shoulder width. His thighs could not contain his wheels, even if they went there, which they don't. His feet are comparatively tiny; even if they splayed out as they are meant to, they would be less than half the width of his chest. His pauldrons are far too high, with their topmost point aligned with the top of his head, which is too low when compared to the height of the shoulders underneath the truck cab. Much like on his Deluxe-Class toy, his forearms are too long when compared to the length of his hands and upper arms. His codpiece is too small, smaller than his head. His shoulders align with his knees, rather than his heels. His chest armour is recessed well behind his pauldrons, and does not rise above his chin. His guns, are shrunken, as well, further reducing the character's trademark profile. Overall, he cuts a silhouette much like that of a large, fit adult male wearing football pads.

The imperfections are there and all over. This toy does not cut the same shape as Ironhide, despite having almost the same elements, so much of the 'character' is lost. I prefer the Voyager; despite inaccuracies in the details and the longer legs, the overall stance and silhouette is much, much closer to the film model than anything else we've seen so far, with perhaps the exception of the Robot Replica, which I do not count. If I can get ROTF Ironhide's guns on the DOTM Voyager, it'll be damn close. So that's my personal preference, and the reasoning behind it. :) 

13. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    It's called foreshortening. The CGI render is taken from the ground. His foot is the closest thing to the camera while his chest is far away. The toy photo is the opposite. His chest is closest to the camera and his feet are far away. His feet aren't that big.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

14. NothingHead

News Credits:
    I understand the concept of foreshortening, and took it into account. I maintain that my observations are accurate, especially when considering that my reference photo depicts Ironhide at a straight-on view, on a level surface, with his feet almost directly under his center mass.

The actual render you posted (as opposed to the concept art, which as you can clearly see is different from the renders, particularly in the leg details) reflects my observations for every other part of his form, and actually has a great deal more foreshortening in the legs; the camera is an angled view, the character is three-quarter, and the surface is an incline. Furthermore, his feet are clearly non-neutral, his left foot being held in a completely different position/configuration. If we based our comparisons off this piece of art, then Ironhide would have a much narrower torso than either the toy or my reference photo, and asymmetrical feet.

I'm actually not trying to detract from anyone's enjoyment or approval of this toy here, I'm just stating my observations, which I'm not making with the intention of being a drag. Ironhide looks to have a ton of play value, good articulation, and a fun transformation. If looking at this toy excites you, then to hell with my observation. I'm just personally after good screen accuracy, and I don't see it in this toy. Not at a glance, and not with a ruler. Wanting the toy is not enough to will it into looking like something it doesn't.

15. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

Can any of the other voyager IH cannons be attached somewhere on the Leaders arms? I'm kinda torn on this one it fits more in line with the HA line I think. How much taller is IH supposed to be compared to Ratchet?

16. alexcollier

alexcollier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Doesn't look like it. I went out yesterday to buy one of the Voyager IH that have the cannons. Changed my mind before getting it but may go back this week to try it out.

17. turbobungle

turbobungle SuperGodMasterPhil

Grey faceplate and blue legs?!?!?! Hmmm..... no.

18. Optibotimus

Optibotimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
  19. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    Working electronics in your Ironhide Paul?

20. Optibotimus

Optibotimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    yeah just no batteries...i put them in after i shot that little video.