DotM Leader 'Bee

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MisterFanwank, May 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    I didn't want to get this guy.

I told myself not to get this guy, I already had BOBB and it was just going to be a smaller rehash of the same thing.

Then I got a giftcard to Walmart for $50.

I told myself I was going to wait for wave 2 of the leader class figures and get Ironhide.

Then I broke down, wept over the shattered remains of my will power, and bought Leader 'Bee.

And y'know what? I'm really glad I did. He's a nice figure.

The legs gave me some problems at first, but then I found that he stood really well without his heel spurs deployed, which makes him FAR less frustrating, since the spurs from each leg have a tendency to crash into each other. I also sanded down the outward ratchet gear piece so the leg's wouldn't be so rigid in their placing.

After doing those two things, I was left with an insanely awesome figure.

The car mode is sexy as all hell. It's neither too big, which makes it better than BOBB, yet it is still larger than HABB and has a really nice feel to it. The car also hold together far better than BOBB or HABB, with each having the respective issues of the back not going together right and the back being floppy. It's also really nice feeling the texture of the carbon fiber stripes. It makes the toy so much more satisfying to handler.

In robot mode, Leader 'Bee is large and almost menacing. Some people have complained that his new look makes him look fat, but I don't get that impression. He looks armored through and through to me, which removes the impression of dumpy frailty HABB gives off. By his proportions, he almost looks like a mechanized version of the Master Chief. I also really like his new abdomen/chest piece, when it combines with his headlight pieces it forms a really menacing face with the headlights being the eyes, the detailing right below them being whiskers and the space between the crotch and the abdomen being a snarling mouth. Once you see it, it can't be unseen and it looks awesome.

As far as poseability goes, it's not as good as HABB's, but far exceeds BOBB. His arms are almost exactly like HABB's, except the elbows are double jointed and he doesn't have a wrist rotator, leaving him with a curling iron arms. He has no waist joint, but that's hardly a loss to me. His legs are well articulated, built to be able to handle the weight of the figure in a variety of poses, with the only problem being that his upper thigh doesn't have a rotator, although his shin does. I haven't noticed any limits to the poses this allows him to do versus other figures, so it's not as bad as it is on some figures, like Classics Jetfire. He also has forward and back foot articulation, with a transformation joint in the shin that you can bend if you need to. finally, his head rotates back and forth.

In summary, Leader 'Bee is the best looking of BOBB and HABB in both modes, with the alt mode by far being the best in all areas. The robot mode is far superior in articulation to BOBB, and only slightly inferior to HABB. If you don't have HABB, it's worth the extra $10 to get this figure instead, and if you already have HABB, there's enough here to warrant a look. Just by aesthetics alone this figure is awesome, and there's something about its overall fit and finish that's extremely satisfying.

2. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.