DOTM (Japan Exclusive) Decepticon Vortex

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by E. C. R. Former, Jun 28, 2011.

1. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

OK, since I have yet to see a thread for this guy, here's my personal review of the Japan only exclusive figure Dark of the Moon Decepticon Vortex.

First, as I'm sure most people already know, Vortex is a retool and redeco of Hunt for the Decepticons Tomahawk. Other than the new head and paint job, Vortex and Tomahawk are essentially the same toy.

[​IMG]

Sadly however, Vortex is missing Tomahawk's two missile launchers and missiles. Instead, being a DOTM toy, he gets a mechtech gun called a "glue machine gun". Kudos to Takara Tomy for the G1 Vortex reference.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Note that in vehicle mode, the mechtech gun goes on the "chin" of the helicopter, where in real life, the basis vehicle the Eurocopter Tiger mounts a 30mm cannon (though this mechtech gun is way larger).

Since the toy is just a Tomahawk retool, I'm not going to go over too much detail about the transformation. I will point out one of the toy's very few flaws however: the new head is a very tight fit in vehicle mode:

[​IMG]

Its kind of difficult to shove the new head in or to get the new head out. Still, while its a tight fit, it does indeed fit. So just be careful while transforming the head. Overall, its a very minor flaw.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Vortex looks great in robot mode. He is very clearly designed to be a "hybrid figure" in the same way figures like ROTF Bludgeon and HFTD Sea Spray were designed to fit into both a movie shelf or a Classics shelf. Of course that depends on a collector's personal aesthetic and I'm sure there will be plenty of people who don't think he looks good on a Classics display or don't think he fits into either aesthetic.

Here's a close up of the new head:

[​IMG]

In my opinion, it looks like an updated take of G1 Vortex's head. Be careful with the white paint on the lower half of the face as it is prone to scratching (as you can see on mine).

There is just one more flaw I'd like to point out. Like Tomahawk, Vortex's right hand features the helicopter tail fins as a sort of clamp weapon. Here you can see how this toy wasn't initially designed to be part of the DOTM line as his fins completely block the gun's mechtech feature rendering the gimmick useless when held in his right hand!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Of course, this is a flaw that can be easily solved by making Vortex into a lefty so its not much of a big deal. Still thought I'd point it out though.

[​IMG]

Finally, a small bit on the bio:
    Never mind the "Engrish" (further cementing the fact that this figure is a Japan exclusive); what I wanted to point out here is the phrase "ruthless and brutal nature". On the Japanese version of the bio (written on the card that came with the figure), the word used here is "zannin", which is Japanese for "sadistic". "Ruthless and brutal" is OK as a substitute for "sadistic" but I just wanted to point out what the Japanese bio really says.

[​IMG]

In conclusion, DOTM Decepticon Vortex is a good figure which I gladly recommend to anybody who wishes to get him. Sure he has a few minor flaws but what toy doesn't? Honestly, I think the only hang up fans are going to have with this figure is the fact that he's a Japanese exclusive meaning that to get a hold of him, you're going to have to pay inflated prices. IMHO, he's worth it, but its up to you whether you decide to get him or not.

And finally:

[​IMG]

2. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    bahhhh i just took pictures too! nice job though, now this saves me time from editing my phots, but i did mess around with this...
    [​IMG]

3. OCProwl

OCProwl Electrobot

News Credits:
    Nice pix and review thanks!

4. Depthcharge

Depthcharge Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just got my Vortex in the mail today as well. It's hardly worth noting but on Tomahawk the little under-nose sensor section is able to rotate slightly left and right but on my Vortex (presumably all Vortex figures) this is now either glued into the nose piece or maybe even molded on. This change is likely required due to the fact that this piece now features a peg hole for the mechtech weapon. This doesn't bother me in the least except that on my figure the little sensor bit is slightly crooked to one side.

On another note, the main nose section consists of left and right halves and on my figure the seam between the two pieces isn't exactly clean along the underside so there's a small gap. Again, not a big deal but mildly irritating when I dropped the cash on an import figure.

5. OCProwl

OCProwl Electrobot

News Credits:
    Did that really work or did you have to manipulate it in somehow?

6. Deceptigtar

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    all i did was find a way to make vortex look decent and i attached the FP arm connect through the middle of Vortex chest and it kind of just sticks in place. then i took the FP hands and connected it one of his feet.

i could take detailed pics later as i just put all this stuff away lol. its not the best as this is not meant to happen so after moving the arm around a bit it can pop off. it is also a little longer than the other arm.

7. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wow! That purple pops a lot more in your pics. Love it!

Can't wait for mine!

8. hupla

hupla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sooo sexy <3 cant wait for mine from AmiAmi :O

9. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Kind of underwhelmed by it now, the head looks really weird, like it was squished.

10. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    It's nice, but not import nice. If we end up getting him over here I'll bite, but as with the exclusive Skywarp, I'm just not gonna do it.

11. T16skyhopp

T16skyhopp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yeah not worth the $40 import, but if he was on the shelf at walmart I'd be hunting him.

12. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sucks that he's exclusive. I got him anyway, along with Air Raid. I have always wanted those molds and was holding out for uses of them that fit in my collection.

Don't have him in hand, as I'm building a big PoL.

Now I just have to reconcile his presence in my collection with FP Bruticus! I have Ultra class Onslaught, but I fully intended to convert him into Fortress with "Stronghold." Maybe I have to get a Henkei Onslaught now, and use Heavytread as Brawl. :lol 

13. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    His Mech Tech is the same base as Roadbuster's and Thundercrackers, but instead of a saw it's a gun.

14. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

I wouldn't mind seeing your own review of this figure as well, even if it is a part of this same thread. :D  I find it awesome that you were able to fit him onto Bruticus Maximus, tough I guess the arm scales get out of whack. Its nice to know that at least the possibility to do so is there. Given how I've also seen PCC Heavytread used as a leg for Bruticus, I can see a lot of possibilities opening up.

Its all personal preferences: I for one think the new head looks great. But of course, this is why these feedback threads exist.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. For that matter DOTM Japan Air Raid's mechtech gun is also a retool of Topspin's.

Speaking of which, I've also now got a feedback thread for DOTM (Japan Exclusive) Air Raid

15. Deceptigtar

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ill have to add my pics later then. i did a shot with his head off compared to BW Quickstrike as well as they remind me alot of each other.

16. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Echoing the sentiment of liking it but will wait for a US release (if there is one).

17. XxGeck0xX

XxGeck0xX デストロン 情報

News Credits:
    Had this for awhile and always lazy to use photobucket. Anyways I like to make vortex more G1 by leaving his rotors full expanded and to put his shoulder missles behind him like this.
    [​IMG]

18. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    As a big fan of Tomahawk I was interested in seeing this. But the blobby almost Beast Wars-looking head doesn't appeal. Plus all the grey and the scattering of colours (I know it's a homage) just don't rest well on my eyes. Tomahawk's black and gold is just so much nicer. Plus alot of the fun with Tomahawk was how many ways I could attach his missile launchers, and now that appeal's gone.

19. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Got my Vortex today, much more solid and tight than my Tomahawk! Loving the new colors and the new head. New MechTech weapon is kinda stupid though, doesn't look different enough from one mode to another, just looks like the same gun extended. And it sorta forces you to make Vortex a lefty if you want to deploy the weapon without arm kibble getting in the way.

20. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Got mine today, too. The left hip and one of the wings are pretty loose, but it's nothing major. He looks outstanding -- that teal is spot-freaking-on to the G1 toy. Wish the gun was that color, too, though.