DOTM (Japan Exclusive) Air Raid

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by E. C. R. Former, Jun 28, 2011.

1. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

Following my review of DOTM (Japan Exclusive) Decepticon Vortex, I'm now presenting everyone with a review of DOTM (Japan Exclusive) Air Raid.

[​IMG]

Well, not much to say about the figure really as its a straight redeco of ROTF Thrust (which itself was a redeco and retool of ROTF Breakaway).

There is one difference though: Air Raid has several mechtech ports retooled into it. First, there's one on top of the canopy:

[​IMG]

And there's a mechtech port under each wing:

[​IMG]

Naturally, this means that Air Raid can carry his cannon, called a "Shot Cannon" (a retool of Topspin's mechtech gun), on his canopy:

[​IMG]

Or under one of his wings:

[​IMG]

Hmm, I just noticed that Air Raid's head is totally visible in vehicle mode. Some people might consider this a flaw but I personally think its kind of cool. :D 

In robot mode he really is just a straight redeco of ROTF Thrust. I will say that the Aerialbot colors look really good on him. In fact, I actually think he looks better than Thrust. Transformation is identical to that figure so no need to get into details about that.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

IMHO, unlike Vortex whom was designed as a "hybrid" figure, Air Raid is strictly a movie-verse figure. Oh, I'm sure he wouldn't stick out too much on a Classics display but this figure is very clearly meant to be movie style.

I will say this however: the mechtech gimmick is far better implemented on Air Raid than on Vortex. Namely, no obtrusive kibble to get in the way of the of the gimmick:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Given that its attached to an arm that already has a rotary cannon on it, this means Air Raid's right arm is armed to the teeth. :D 

[​IMG]

In conclusion, DOTM Japanese exclusive is a decent figure which I'm sure you can enjoy having as a part of your collection. Like with Vortex, the only real hang up with the figure is that its a Japanese exclusive which means that there will be a number of people who don't think he will be worth the inflated price. Still, I say you can get plenty of enjoyment out of him.

[​IMG]

2. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Thanks for the review. I still like the Breakaway mold, but I just can't see a proper Air Raid tribute in this repaint imo....in contrast to Vortex' colours which do indeed mirror his origin.

3. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That head is the anti-movie-verse. It's got to be a Classics figure to me because it is epic fail at being a movie fig.

The Air Raid tribute works for me even though the vehicle mode colors are different. It doesn't transform like the old Aerialbot, a black plane mode would result in a black vehicle mode. It's also quite reminescent of WfC Air Raid.

In fact, I'm getting him and Strafe to be my Autobot Air Force with Jetfire. :D 

4. knoted

News Credits:
    The top of the jet could be black, with Breakaway's red/brown paint above the air intakes could be bright red ; then the rest of the jet beneath the canopy line can be all-white.

That would result in a black jet, seen from the top, and a white robot with only the top of the nose in black.

5. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wouldn't that have to be a crapton of paint though? Or could they actually have cast the top and bottom in different colors?

It's still not really an issue for me, because I find the plane mode quite gorgeous.

6. knoted

News Credits:
    I suppose you're right ( all-white plastic, top of jet black paint, since there are virtually no rub spots on top ).... then again...this should be Takara exclusive, right ? It ought to be something with an extra special paintjob.Also... the purple tinted canopy and the green painted crotch details don't really fit an Air Raid , imo.

7. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

I don't think the colors are supposed to be Air Raid specifically. Rather I think these colors are meant to represent "Aerialbot" in general. He just happens to be named "Air Raid" because after Silverbolt, Air Raid tends to be the default Aerialbot Hasbro and Takara go for.