DOTM hurt by poor editing?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by jtscribe, Jul 3, 2011.

1. jtscribe

jtscribe Well-Known Member

IMO, the movie was good but not great. One of the rather jarring problems to me was the way some of the scenes jumped around with little or no explanation. I think this would have been a problem without even having read the novelization.

The best/biggest examples:

Laserbeak is chasing Sam through his office in the daytime. Quick cut, he's now driving his Datsun at night. Umm, what?

The removal of the expository scenes when Sentinel goes bad seemed to leave a big hole - for one it would have explained Optimus' absence. It also would have explained how Sentinel got the rods; as it stands one minute he's tearing up NEST HQ; the next he's driving down the road with the pillars on his roof.

The invasion of Chicago is another great example. All of a sudden, bam, it's the trailer scene with the ships attacking. The fact that we didn't SEE any of the human reaction, but were just told about it ("they're shooting down our long range bombers!") breaks on of the biggest rules of storytelling - IE, show, don't tell. It also makes the film feel less epic and more localized.

Not showing Bumblebee and crew being captured. I understand that the climax was generally from Sam's POV, but one of the good aspects of ROTF was the way it switched back and forth from the perspectives of different characters throughout the final battle. Not so sure why it became a weakness here; the editing crews are largely intact from one film to the next.

Thoughts?

2. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    agreed. other than that, this film was good

3. Sonicpower451

Sonicpower451 Well-Known Member

the only thing that got me is the second-last example. Still, it was a good movie. But I'm already expecting loads of deleted scenes in the DVD.

4. Metallitron

Metallitron Decepticon of Malice

News Credits:
    Michael Bay isnt at ALL known for good editing or emotion....you could pay him a Zillion dollars and he still couldnt get it right!

5. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah, directorially, some of the cuts were a little bit wtf? The only one that really made no sense though was the Autobots being captured, literally one second Bumblebee is catching Lennox and Sam after Screamers head goes bang, the next he's joined with the rest of the Autobots and they've all been captured!

I can understand some cuts for length, I really hope we get an extended cut this time around.

6. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Some of the edits are jarring, almost immersion breaking in fact......

......extended Blu-Ray, extended Blu-Ray, extended Blu-Ray, extended Blu-Ray *fingers crossed*

7. Secretcode

Secretcode Keeper of Encarta Veteran

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Still beats the editing in ROTF, any day.

Okay now we're exiting the Smithsonian aaaaaaaaaand now we're in Arizona.

8. MikeDiaz

MikeDiaz Well-Known Member

EDIT: My bad :eek: 

9. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

Other potential editing things I had problems with:

Sam's converstion with his Parents in their RV was obviously meant to happen after the space bridge was opened and the Decepticons poured into D.C. We can see in the trailer that Sam was there with Lennox when the cons were coming, and he is in his suit and tie (which he was wearing at Nest when Sentinel goes apeshit). When he runs back to his apartment, he no longer has a jacket or tie, his white button up shirt is open (with t-shirt underneath). There are also police cars speeding around in the background.

When Megatron and Sentinel are talking (and Carly is watching via telescope) Megatron never says anything to Sentinel about ruling over him, and in fact only suggests they have a partnership, yet Sentinel immediately goes onto pound Megatron and emphasize the fact that he'll never work for him. I could be wrong and this may not be an editing issue at all and could just be a somewhat poorly written scene.

The opening scene with Kennedy in the White House. Ignoring the terrible makeup job, there is a grainy black and white scene when they first tell Kennedy and he turns in his chair. The shot cuts to another angle (also grainy and black and white) and the new angle shows part of the chair turn once more. Of course, I'm not fond of how a lot of that opening scene is cut. Far too many scenes spliced together.

When the National Security chick talks about the the space race being in response to an event there is a flash cut to the footage of the Ark crashing on the Moon, as if the audience doesn't remember what was shown (in great detail) 10 or 15 minutes before. Terrible edit IMO.

Wang in the elevator. Once all the other people exit and it's just Sam and Wang, Wang makes some weird face and noise and then in the middle of Wang with that weird face it cuts to a close up where he has a calm normal face, before he proceeds to fondle his straw with his tongue.

10. ChldsPlay

That's not editing, that's location.

11. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    Not quite the same though, Sentinel didn't say 'We used to have hundreds, the Decepticons have them all now.'

Sentinels implication was that hundreds of pillars had been lost.

Sams revelation was that the Decepticons found them.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  12. ChldsPlay

It's not the hundreds that shocks Mearing, it's that the Decepticons have all the others that shocks her. As far as she knows, the other pillars were just lost with the crash.

13. MikeDiaz

MikeDiaz Well-Known Member

Ah shit, that's true. I interpreted those lines wrong. My bad :eek: 

14. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think the lack of explanation of how the autobots got captured was the big wtf moment for me becuase no more than 2 seconds prior to that Bumblebee just dropped off Sam and drove away then BAM he's a prisoner

15. RzaSharp

RzaSharp Well-Known Member

When they show Apollo 11 heading for the moon, the lunar module isnt on it, yet in the next scene it is.

When in Chernobyl, Shockwave emerges from the driller, says optimus, Optimus gets ready for battle, then the next scene is the driller retreating.

When bumblebee shows up at the gate where sam's car is jacked up, Carly is looking at Bumblebee like she has never seen or heard of him before.

At the SP resurrection, OP says "lets begin" as if he is about to do something long and complex, yet the next scene is of him just letting the matrix touch SP's spark.

When Carly walks in and bumblebee gets clumsy, he acts as if he has never seen her before. (this is after he saw her at the gate of the autobot complex)

Sam tells Mearing the Autobots dont have a way to leave earth yet sam knows OP went to the moon to get SP in a spaceship. (a totally different ship than the xantheum)

During the prisoner sequence, theres a shot of Barricade throwing a drone down in front of Shockwave but Shockwave was nowhere near where Soundwave, Barricade and the prisoners are. When Bumblebee attacks soundwave, Shockwave is no where to be found near them. Right after, In a totally different alley/street, The nest team kills Barricade and a drone, and start shooting at shockwave. The wreckers drive up and start shooting at shockwave. Prime has already been cut down from the crane and they arrive before him, BY DRIVING THERE. Then BB, ratchet, and Mirage drive up and the wreckers are gone...from the exact same spot. Then when OP flys in, The Wreckers are also nowhere to be seen.

When Sam yells "OPTIMUS" and OP comes flying in.....he is facing the wrong direction (Sam) to even see Optimus OR is at the other end of the street where the pillar is, yet he just got out of bumblebee who is at the opposite end of the street(with all the decepticons in the middle) side note.....the autobots and decepticons are fighting it out firing away at each other....i highly doubt OP cant see this flying in, making sam yelling pointless, if it can even be heard at all over all the shots being fired.

16. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Anyone notice that the driller passed by an office complex that apparently had employees in conservative office attire- as if Chicago had not yet been sacked by the Decepticons?

Presumably, this was the same building that was in the process of being cut in half and Sam, Carly and Epps & Co. were somewhere upstairs trying not to die.

2:11 / 2:12

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  17. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This was my first thought after the movie. I was SO excited to watch it and let down so much by the numerous wtf moments.

For instance I wonder if the scene where John Malkovich interviews Sam for the first time was a rehearsal cut. You see a red headed guy with glasses walking up to and looking through the glass into the window. Then he makes a dash for it as if he's going to come into the office but nada. No rhyme or reason. Although I'm not big on wanting to see the movie again I wouldn't mind watching it for the commentary to see what exactly was going on in a lot of scenes.

Also a bad scene was where Bumblebee was about to be executed and then the distraction happens and bee suddenly uses his arm cannon. Um, why didn't he use it before they killed Q? I was led to believe he was unarmed.

Better editing and test viewings would have helped make this a better movie. Does Bay ever use test audiences or no? I'm not so familiar with him and his movies aside from explosions.

18. nametaken

nametaken Well-Known Member

what?

19. jtscribe

jtscribe Well-Known Member

Ditto on the extended edition Blu-Ray. Go the Lord of the Rings route!!!! I'd buy it . . . :D 

20. The F.N.G.

The F.N.G. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was able to follow what was going on with some decent clarity. Granted, there were a few parts where I was a little confused about how we got there. Did the editing hurt it? In my opinion, not a significant amount. Could the editing have been improved and make it a better film? Sure, most definitely.

He means that's not a mistake in editing, but rather an error in choosing the location. Standing in a building in Toronto, then walking out the door and ending up in New York when you're not supposed to have traveled is an error by the filmmakers, not an editing fail.