DOTM Human Alliance Basics Thunderhead with Major Tungsten

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by toboggan, Apr 30, 2011.

1. toboggan

toboggan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Didn't see a thread for this guy, so off we go.

First off, sorry for the picture quality. I ended up using my cell phone, since my camera won't cooperate and it's honestly not much better anyway.

My local Target put out the first wave of Human Alliance Basics early and I snapped up Sandstorm and Thunderhead, leaving behind an Icepick and Backfire.

[​IMG]

They are packaged a lot like the Power Core Combiners with the little human subbing in for the minicon. We'll start with robot mode, since that's how it's packaged.

[​IMG]

Everything Thunderhead does, he does loud. As an artillery commander, he is an expert at raining down fire on enemies hundreds of miles away. His partnership with Major Tungsten is easy - both of them are loud, and more than happy to drop a storm of explosive shells on the heads of unsuspecting Decepticons.

Thunderhead is very aesthetically pleasing to me. The orange/black/gray color scheme works well in person and he has a detailed and menacing headsculpt. He's covered in detailing like vents and treads and such. I'm rather fond of his proportions - the oversized forearms and legs give him a vaguely super-robot-ish feeling to him.

[​IMG]

He comes armed with a rifle as well as two tiny c-clip blasters at his waist. Each of his arms has a space for c-clips as well, though as near as I can tell, he doesn't have any more spaces for c-clip weapons, which is rather disappointing after seeing all of the room that Sandstorm has for them.

Thunderhead has 20 points of articulation, including an ab crunch amazingly. This may seem impressive at first, but due to his transformation, and the size of his limbs, most of those joints are somehow obstructed or otherwise lacking in utility. Still, you can get some decent poses out of him, and his wrist articulation is definitely welcome. I could have used a swivel joint on his arms somewhere though.

[​IMG]

He comes in at about the same size as a normal scout and Major Tungsten is about an inch and a half tall - basically a downsized GI Joe with minimal paint and 9 points of articulation.

Thunderhead has a simple transformation, and he turns into a spider tank sort of vehicle, much like Scrapmetal from the Cybertron series. He retains most of his articulation, meaning you can get decent poses out of the vehicle mode too, not something possible with other vehicle modes. But there's little to disguise the fact that this is just a Transformer crawling around on all fours.

[​IMG]

Major Tungsten plugs nicely into the seat and actually looks pretty cool in control of the machine. A nifty side note - Thunderhead's "ears" become Major Tungsten's control sticks in vehicle mode.

[​IMG]

Each of the Human Alliance Basics has a third "weapon" mode and Thunderhead's is actually pretty awesome, compared to Sandstorm's. He becomes a sort of exosuit for his human partner, very reminiscent of the one used in the Alien movies.

[​IMG]

All his weapons are usable in this mode and each of the c-joints are still usable. Despite not serving as literal fists in this mode, he can still hold weapons in each "limb" using the fist holes.

[​IMG]

Tungsten stays put in the cockpit area and you can see his face peering out from the cockpit window. Thunderhead retains his decent poseability in this mode. This mecha suit reminds me a lot of something out of a "hard" sci-fi series like Ghost in the Shell or Warhammer.

[​IMG]

In the end, Thunderhead is not going to be for everyone. He's aesthetically pleasing and has a pretty cool third mode, but I can see why some might not care for him with his articulation issues or his somewhat lackluster vehicle mode. Basically, if you have a choice between only Thunderhead or Sandstorm, I would advocate getting Sandstorm, but Thunderhead is definitely worth a purchase too, if you can spare it.

Attached Files:

2. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Not liking his proportions as much as Sandstorm's... from what I've seen, Sandstorm is probably the only one I'll like in wave 1. His vehicle and partner-mode are better than his bot mode, though

3. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    By any chance can a minicon work in place of the human in either mode?

4. Ellamin

Ellamin Moonbeam Dreamer

News Credits:
    Yay, shelfwarmers I want!

5. Octavius Prime

Octavius Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So, can be be arranged in any way that would make him look like a decent hand-held weapon, like most of the other HA Scouts?

6. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Hello there, army-buildable Skywatch Mechsuits.....

7. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My Thunderhead pics

Im so in love with this mech suit idea.

i dunno if a human can target weapons, or if the human just moves thunderhead around while he targets...hell if I know..But its just cool.

It brings the PCC minicons into relevance because they work real well in scale to the HA figs! Didnt the missle launcher minicon come with icepick in PCC? I could be wrong..

Anyways...Very fun..I cant recommend Thunderhead enough. The treaded tank mode is real cool too. Lots of different ways to arrange the treads to make different looking vehicles..

[​IMG]
    By tadave79 at 2011-05-03
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    By tadave79 at 2011-05-04
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
  9. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Minicon Alliance!

[​IMG]

10. TacticalSamurai

TacticalSamurai Hunter Killer

I pretty much love this figuire. In mech suit mode, I have to say it reminds me of the mech suits in LOST PLANET more than anything. And thats the reason why I picked this one up over the other HA Basics. The trike weapon mode didn't look good at all to me so I went with Thunderhead.

11. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Ya know, at first I hated this guy. Then I gave him HA Whirls two miniguns (which I can't fit onto Whirl satisfactorily) and suddenly I love this guy.

Specifically I've given him an ED-209 ish version of his mech suit mode!

Shame he can't walk down stairs...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  12. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Cool, might have to try that!