DOTM Human Alliance Basics Sandstorm with Private Dedcliff

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by toboggan, Apr 30, 2011.

1. toboggan

toboggan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Didn't see a thread for this guy, so off we go.

First off, sorry for the picture quality. I ended up using my cell phone, since my camera won't cooperate and it's honestly not much better anyway.

My local Target put out the first wave of Human Alliance Basics out early and I snapped up Sandstorm and Thunderhead, leaving behind an Icepick and Backfire.

[​IMG]

They are packaged a lot like the Power Core Combiners with the little human subbing in for the minicon. We'll start with robot mode, since that's how it's packaged.

[​IMG]

Sandstorm was built to survive for extended periods in the harshest climates. Anything Earth can throw at him, he can endure and come out smiling. He requires the same fortitude from his human partner, Private Dedcliff, a special forces wilderness survival expert with years of experience. Together, they hunt Decepticons in the most remote places on the planet.

He's pretty impressive in robot mode, with a great headsculpt and paintjob. He has a bright red crest that gives him a lot of character. He also boasts an impressive 14 points of articulation, including a waist swivel, ankles, wrists and a ball-jointed head - not bad for a scout-class toy. It allows him to pull off a good amount of commando and soldier-style poses without being fiddly or loose.

[​IMG]

He is fairly heavily-armed, with a good-sized rifle as well as the ability to switch out his fists for tri-barreled cannons. In addition, he has lots of space for c-clip weapons joints.

[​IMG]

Because of his transformation, you can fold the rollcage out across his chest, leaving room for a large amount of clip-on weapons. True, doing this covers up the head, but I imagine you'd want to have something shielding your face with an artillery like this.

[​IMG]

Scale-wise, he comes in just between a scout and a deluxe. The figure is basically a scaled-down GI Joe and he has 9 points of articulation, including wrists and a head swivel.

[​IMG]

Transformation to dune buggy mode is about average in difficulty - nothing too special. Everything locks up nice enough, though you may have trouble navigating the various pegs and holes in the cockpit area. Private Dedcliff sits nicely inside.

[​IMG]

My only complaint is that the legs fold up beneath, leaving very little clearance to the ground, so if you try rolling it around on a surface, the undercarriage will scrape the floor. But a minor concern overall.

[​IMG]

All of the Human Alliance basics have a third "weapon" mode, and Sandstorm transforms into a weird sort of artillery emplacement. This mode reveals a big missile pod at Private Dedcliff's feet.

[​IMG]

It's cool enough I guess, but it has some balance issues, given that it only stands on a peg sticking out the rear and the two bars made from the rollcage.

[​IMG]

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with Sandstorm. A stellar robot mode is enough to make me ignore my minor concerns with the other two modes and the figure is definitely a good deal for $10. If the rest of the HA line matches up to Sandstorm, I'll be pretty excited for the rest.

Attached Files:

2. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    $10 huh? So these guys are basically PCCs, but instead of a mini-con you get a human, and instead of an ugly combiner mode you get a weapon-mode. I dig it :) 

3. Depthcharge

Depthcharge Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So is there any mention in the instructions about the weapon mode being used by a larger figure like a deluxe? Even if it's not in the instructions can you see any way for a larger figure to carry this guy as a weapon? Saw pics awhile back of the new deluxe Bumblebee wielding the HA helicopter bot as a heavy weapon and it looked really cool.

4. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    Hmmm...10$? Seems like a steal....

5. toboggan

toboggan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's interesting that you ask that. The instructions make no mention of a weapon mode like that, but he does come with a 5-mm peg mounted on his rear (it's the one he's using for balance in weapon mode in my last pic) that fits nicely into most fists. However, I can't come up with a configuration that makes it look like anything other than a robot trying to use a dune buggy as a weapon. I'll experiment around later and post a pic if anything looks decent.

I'm excited for the Whirl mini-gun mode, but Thunderhead has no such pegs on him as near as I can tell, so it might not be across the entire line.

6. ORIO

ORIO Team Sentinel Prime Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Been waiting for a thread on these guys! Thanks!

7. amethysted

amethysted Well-Known Member

The Ark and Trailer Prime have lots of peg holes...

Maybee these weapon modes can go there, too.

I hope the kids have hours of fun combining these little guys.

I collect the larger bots...

Thanks for the updates pics!

8. xterry

xterry Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    MY DOTM HA Sandstorm

Power by Google...............lazy to do English edition. more review plz check

lavenx.blogspot.com

[Clean sweep of sand cover Imperial City] Dotm Human Alliance Sandstorm Sandstorm

[align=left][風卷殘云,砂覆皇城] Dotm Human Alliance Sandstorm 沙塵暴[/align] [Clean sweep of sand cover Imperial City] Dotm Human Alliance Sandstorm Sandstorm

[align=left]繼續電影3的新聯盟系列[/align] 3, a new coalition to continue the film series

[align=left]"There's a bad storm, brewing, and I'm it!"[/align] "There's a bad storm, brewing, and I'm it!"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[align=left]Sandstorm/沙塵暴 : 從G1 開始就是經典的3變戰士,如今在電影3裏面也繼承了這一點...某程度吧.[/align] Sandstorm / dust storm: the beginning from the G1 is the classic 3-variable fighters, now 3, in the movie which also inherited a certain extent, this point ... it.

[​IMG]

[align=left]比起之前所接觸的人物,沙塵暴是比較特殊的一個,只因他未在動畫登臺之前,已經在漫畫裏面以"雷霆回收隊"的成員登場.[/align] Contact with the people than before, a dust storm is rather special, because he was not before the animation stage, which has been in the comic as "Thunder recovery team" members of the debut.

[​IMG]
    [align=left]也許同是3變的關係吧?似乎沙塵暴跟毒氣罐總是過從甚密...基情無限阿[/align] Perhaps the same is the relationship between 3 variables, right? Seems to always dust with the gas tank hobnobbing ... Love Unlimited A base

[​IMG]
    [align=left]後來即使出現在DW漫畫裏面,也是以華麗的...路人出現的說...[/align] Later in the DW comics inside even if there is gorgeous ... passers-by appeared to say ...

[​IMG]
    [align=left]雖然頻率不高,不過後來總算再IDW裏面再出現...也慢慢出現了電影版的造型...[/align] Although the frequency is not high, but there was finally re IDW has slowly emerged again ... the film version of the form ...

[​IMG]
    [align=left]不知道爲什麽,我始終對G1 無愛....不過3變得東西都可以考慮一下以當時的技術,可以還原成這樣的玩具已經很厲害了.[/align] Do not know why, I always love G1 .... but 3 get free things to consider about the technology at the time, this toy can be reduced very much.

[​IMG]
    [align=left]G1之後的..對於我來説因爲缺少3變元素,所以全部華麗地忽略...知道電影3系列才借著新聯盟系列的概念,得到重生,再次成爲3變戰士.[/align] G1 .. for me after 3 because of the lack of change elements, so ignore all the gorgeous ... that movie 3 Series before the concept of family through the new alliance, be reborn, become soldiers again 3.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [align=left]作爲對G1的致敬,出來的就是這麽一台軍用的沙灘車,可以有比這更好的嗎?[/align] As a tribute to the G1, out of Taiwan is such a beach used car, you can do better than this?
    [​IMG]
    [align=left]而且似乎是大出力的系統,估計比起普通的沙灘車更加厲害,後面黑色的那個..估計80后的人會知道吧?就是那個那個車呢[/align] And seems to be a large output of the system, estimated to be more than ordinary powerful ATVs, followed by an estimated 80 black .. after that people will know? Is it that the car
    [​IMG]
    [align=left]不過可惜的是,縫隙偏大阿..鬱悶了點[/align] But unfortunately, the gap is too large A depressed point ..
    [​IMG]
    [align=left]這大哥上車了...新的小人..真的是小小的人.車也成爲單人車了[/align] This is Big Brother on the bus ... .. the new villain is really a small person. Cars have become single-car
    [​IMG]
    [align=left]沙灘車是這樣開的...別以爲雙手拿方向盤[/align] ATV is open ... do not think that holding the steering wheel with both hands
    [​IMG]
    [align=left]上面的槍有C扣關節,活動性增加了[/align] C button above the gun has joint, an increase of activity
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [align=left]玩下效果....[/align] Under the effect of playing ....
    [​IMG]
    [align=left]對..載具就是這樣...跟官方的圖片比較,我跟著説明書就會成爲這個樣子....無奈[/align] This vehicle is on .. ... compared with the official picture, I followed the instructions would be helpless like this ....
    [​IMG]
    [align=left]我可以理解成...這是輪椅嗎?[/align] I can understand as ... This is the wheelchair?
    [​IMG]
    [align=left]你也可以理解成人力車....[/align] You can also be understood as a rickshaw ....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [align=left]其實真正的身份是....無情..別告訴我你不知道[/align] In fact, the real identity is relentless .. .... Do not tell me you do not know
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [align=left]別怪我...看到輪椅就是這樣想的[/align] Do not blame me ... see the wheelchair is to discuss
    [​IMG]
    [align=left]雖然SIZE偏小,不過原來驚喜無限.[/align] Although the SIZE is too small, but had wonderful as well.
    [​IMG]
    [align=left]面相比我想象中要好看好多,而且多少回復了IDW版的感覺.[/align] Face to look good than I expected better, and how many responded to the IDW version of the feeling.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [align=left]不知道其他HA到底會什麽情況,起碼他有腰!!!!![/align] HA in the end will not know what the other circumstances, at least he is back !!!!!
    [​IMG]
    [align=left]而且4條輪胎更加增強了氣勢...可惜依然小了點[/align] And four tires further strengthened the momentum ... unfortunately still a little small
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [align=left]背後的話,背包問題不打,反而更加增加了噴管的感覺.[/align] Behind the words, knapsack problem not fight, but more the feeling of increased nozzle.
    [​IMG]
    [align=left]這根本是迷你版的鐵皮嘛..[/align] This is simply a mini version of the metal thing ..
    [​IMG]
    [align=left]比起那些什麽透光眼,反而這樣的設計更加實在[/align] What is light compared to those eyes, but this design is more
    [​IMG]
    [align=left]雖然手的關節不像雷霆怒那樣兩段,但是手腕的部分補充了這個不足.[/align] Although the hand joints like angry thunder as two, but the wrist part of the supplement this deficiency.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [align=left]雖然覺得身的比例有點...有點那個了[/align] Although the proportion of that body that a little bit ...
    [​IMG]
    [align=left]而且前面的排氣管有點自己阻自己[/align] And a little bit in front of the exhaust pipe of his own resistance
    [​IMG]
    [align=left]不過即使是這樣,已經夠抓住我的心了[/align] But even so, enough to seize my heart had
    [​IMG]
    [align=left]順便說,腳掌的部分採用了比較少TF用的設計...[/align] By the way, soles less used part of the design of TF using ...
    [​IMG]
    [align=left]其實看角度應該也明白吧?是半開型的BALL JOIN,跟高達的一樣,哈哈,不錯不錯[/align] In fact, viewing angle should also understand that, right? Is a semi-open type of BALL JOIN, with up to the same, ha ha, good good
    [​IMG]
    [align=left]雖然很多人說電影3縮水了,但是,細節處理上卻升級了(跟童子軍比較的話)[/align] Although many people say that shrinking the Movie 3, but was upgraded on the details of the deal (if compared with the Boy Scouts)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [align=left]玩起來是很爽的,而且明顯變3玩具系列的關節設置加強了[/align] Is very interesting to play with, but also significantly change 3 toys series, set to strengthen the joints
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [align=left]人形的情況下,小人依然是小人。[/align] The case of human form, the villain is still the villain. [align=left]。[/align] . [align=left]。[/align] . [align=left]沒作用的小人。[/align] Not the role of villain. [align=left]。[/align] . [align=left]。[/align] .

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[align=left]這個系列真讓我充滿希望阿,雖然目前沒有開D級或者V級,不過現在的聯盟基本級卻讓我充滿希望。[/align] This series really makes me full of hope A, although there is no open D grade or V class, but now the basic-level alliance made me hopeful.
    [align=left]依然還是那句,買吧,BABY[/align] Still I would say, buy it, BABY

9. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
  10. LogicalLuke

LogicalLuke Banned

My mind has been changed slightly, impressive OP. May get.

11. Gepard

Gepard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You really should -- he's the best of the HA Basics line, IMO.

12. TheBigMachine

TheBigMachine Initiating JAZZ HANDS!

News Credits:
    Just from the pictures I've seen, I completely agree with this statement. This is the one that's looked the most promising from the beginning.

13. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

He and Whirl can go with leadfoot,roadbuster and topspin as the movie wreckers

14. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ *smacks forehead really hard*

I cannot BELIEVE I didn't notice that. Well played, Hasbro.

15. 9.8m/s^2

9.8m/s^2 What's in a name?

Just realized that, like Thunderhead, Sandstorm has a mech suit mode. It's simple, and undocumented, but looks pretty good. Basically, the human can sit in the seat (formed out of the robot chestplate), and the whole roll cage can simply be assembled around him, covering the robot head in the process. Kind of makes me want a yellow one with black safety striping, for the Aliens powerloader look.

16. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    This guy looks really good to me! i think this little subline has tons of potential, and overall has been the least disappointing aspect of the DOTM line for me...

17. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Private Dedcliff reminds me of Gary Busey... for some reason.

18. 9.8m/s^2

9.8m/s^2 What's in a name?

Took a quick pic:

Attached Files:

19. C-109

C-109 Targetmaster

Just picked up my Sandstorm today only to get home and find severe stress marks all over the back of my figure. It's tolerable and not worth the hassle of a return, but still kind of annoying. :( 

It's a shame that Pvt. Dedcliff isn't to scale with HA Sam, Simmons, Etc. and will probably end up in a drawer somewhere since he just looks odd next to them. Obviously, that's not a dealbreaker, but it just would have been nice, y'know?

However, ignoring those minute issues, Sandstorm is an absolutely fantastic figure and I love the variety of cool action poses I can get him into! Haven't tinkered with a bot this much in a looong time. :D 

Definitely recommended.

20. kylash327

kylash327 ThePlasticGeek

News Credits:
    i dont understand why have a line called Human Alliance in two different scales, when it seems the human figures are meant to be interchangeable between the basic and full HA figures, yet make the human figures different sizes?