DOTM hits one billion mark!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by lightdestroyed, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That is a lot of money. Congrats to our little franchise :) 

2. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Michael Bay certainly knows how to get the most bang for his buck. Probably would have cost $300M under any other director. But Bay's flare for explosive action sequences draws crowds like no other.

I really, honestly, have a hard time believing the movie franchise would have been as successful under any other director. Better critically rated, maybe, but very few have that eye for spectacle, and that knack of economy, that Bay seems to have, that create such a massive turn-around for the studio.

3. Knaranek

Knaranek The Barbeardian

News Credits:
    Dont know if anyone saw but BoxOfficeMojo updated their site.

Total Lifetime Grosses
    Domestic: $338,838,869 33.8%
    + Foreign: $664,229,343 66.2%
    = Worldwide: $1,003,068,212

Look at all that cheddar!!!

4. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Say what you will about Bay and his ability to direct, but I am of the belief that having him stay on as Producer (be it Executive producer or otherwise) would still benefit the future films. Having his involvement does come with advantages. He has left a very strong visual style on this franchise, that, with another director, could be even more awesome than the previous films. The man is a very efficient filmmaker and businessman. His eye for action, photorealistic visual effects, doing stunts/effects practically, staying on budget and on time could have a good outcome on a new trilogy or even a reboot (if he were to be involved). Heck, even his relationship with the military could prove beneficial. Not even in the "we need the military for everything"-mindset that seemed prominent. But smaller scale. Need some tanks for an action scene? Call up Mike. Want to film at some awesome government location? Mike will pull some strings. Need some ideas for an awesome action sequence? Mike, what do you think would look cool? Mike wants the director to add balls to one of the robots? Go home, Mike, it's the director's choice and it's NO BALLS tonight. So all of these benefits, but without him sitting in the directors chair. (Let it be noted, I thought he did a pretty good job directing the trilogy, even if there were a few bumps along the way.)

His influence would still be present, but not in the overwhelming way that some fans may not enjoy. I liken it to Spielberg directing the first two Jurassic Park films, but then taking a back seat as EP with Johnston directing for the third. Or Favreau directing Iron Man and Iron Man 2, (and hopefully returning in some capacity for Iron Man 3) and then serving as one of the EPs on The Avengers. Bryan Singer directing the first two X-Men films, leaving the franchise for X-Men: The Last Stand and X-Men Origins: Wolverine, but then returning as Producer on X-Men: First Class. Or even Nolan directing DCs most successful films, and then also serving as (whatever it is he's doing on Man of Steel. Writing? Producing? Whatever.) They know that so-and-so's influence could prove beneficial. They're influence is still there, but with someone else calling most of the creative shots.

Just my thoughts. :) 

5. GTRagnarok

GTRagnarok Well-Known Member

HP will probably take 4th at least but PotC: Dead Man's Chest is only 3 million more than Toy Story 3. If DotM can beat Toy Story, than PotC: DMC is right there for the taking.

6. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Oops, was mixing up my Pirates movies there. Yeah, 5th doesn't look like a complete impossibility. Again, if China keeps up its steam. If it looks to drop off significantly over the next few weeks, then it'll beat On Stranger Tides, but probably not creep up any further on the rankings.

Whatever the case is, the movie was a massive hit, and that's what counts.

7. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Yeah. With any luck, DotM will probably settle in the $350 million range domestically. Fantastic, yes. Nothing to complain about. Just relatively low considering RotF's $402 million. Strange that it's not faring as well domestically as the more poorly received RotF (as some people have said, RotF may have left a poor taste in people's mouths), yet it's blowing past it internationally. Imagine how much money DotM would be at if it was doing better than RotF domestically. You could've added another $70 million to its worldwide gross if that happened! :) 

8. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

HELL YES!!! :bay  :bay  :rock  :music 

9. EnerJohn

EnerJohn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    See and this is where the problem is. Many, MANY people do have a great eye for spectacle and knack of economy. Some even better then Bay. BUT, if they don't know a soul in Hollywood they/you will never get in. ~I'm in no way Bay bashing here.~ I just will never understand why so many people think Bay is the one soul person in the world who can make Tansformers movie. I bet whoever makes the next one will be seen the same way and the crowds will come flying in. Hollywood is SO inbred.

10. Russian fan

Russian fan Proud Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Films, that crossed this barrier, never will be forgotten!
    Transformers - the diamond, which never will fade and grow old!

11. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    This is awesome news for our franchise. I think I'll celebrate by seeing it at least two more times!

12. thebruteslayer

thebruteslayer Banned

News Credits:
    This news is too exciting too warrant a funny picture!

13. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    Wonderful news, the critics must be eating their eyes now.

And as some people said, the american numbers could be much better and soar past many of the top 10 list, but at least the international community have embraced it.

14. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm sure they're spewing the same conjecture and jaded opinions that are posted on this forum.

'Anyone can direct a successful TF film.'
    'I can't wait to see a better director's take.'
    '$1 billion dollars and in the top 10 grossing films of all time means nothing.'

Vomit.

15. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    No, what I was saying is that it's both his eye for spectacle, and his miraculous budgeting abilities that speak to his successes. They're are a few other directors out there that flirt with similar levels of spectacle, but very few who, at the same time, would be likely to keep the movies on-schedule, and under a $200M budget.

16. dragon

dragon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    funny thing is famous movie critic ropert gave this movie 1 star says theres to much giant robots fighting amonsgt each other like to here his thoughts about this now beat dark knight im impressed wasnt expecting it to beat dark knight as of yet but it did

17. thebruteslayer

thebruteslayer Banned

News Credits:
    What!? *Facepalm*

18. TheLastPrime11

TheLastPrime11 Active Member

TF FANS PREPARE FOR GLORY!!!!!!!!!(king Leonidas voice) a billi a billi a billi a billi a bill a billi a billi a billi a billi a billi a bill a billi a billi a billi a billi a billi a bill a billi a billi a billi a billi a billi a bill a billi a billi a billi a billi a billi a bill a billi a billi a billi a billi a billi a bill a billi a billi a billi a billi a billi a bill a billi a billi a billi a billi a billi a bill a billi a billi a billi a billi a billi a bill a billi a billi a billi a billi a billi a bill a billi a billi a billi a billi a billi a bill a billi a billi a billi a billi a billi a bill a billi HATE ON HATERS...

19. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    Thank you for your profound contribution to this thread. I'm sure you will grow up to be a fine citizen some day. Now...

Indeed, all the things they could be using the one billion dollars for and won't...

The problem is that Hollywood is afraid.

Afraid to take any kind of risks, so they keep going back to old franchises, nevermind how tired they are, solely placing all their hopes on existing franchises to make money rather than creating new ones to draw in audiences; it's a fact that a vast majority of Hollywood productions lately have either been sequels or remakes, and that probably doesn't include something like Transformers that is neither but is nevertheless based on an existing franchise.

And of course, movie-goers everywhere keep falling for it.

20. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Aren't you just little Mister Sunshine.

X-Men: Evolution, the new Incredible Hulk and hell, even TFA are prime examples of successful reboots. It's more common than you think.

Also, Transformers is hardly a 'fresh franchise'.

Truer words were never spoken.