DotM HA Basic Whirl pictorial review

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by 9.8m/s^2, Jun 9, 2011.

1. 9.8m/s^2

9.8m/s^2 What's in a name?

Well, since no one’s done a non-video review yes, I guess I’ll throw something up in a half-assed fashion (I don’t have a lightbox, so apologies for the crappy pics).
    Whirl is packaged in robot mode with Major Sparkplug and two c-clip gunpods. The rotors are packaged separately. They’re meant to be mounted on the back of the robot, but it’s also possible to wrap them around one of the gunpods to make a cannon that can mount on the arm or shoulder.
    [​IMG]
    He has a nice headsculpt, very Gundam-style, with little guns molded into the forehead. The back of the head is a searchlight, used in the alt modes.
    [​IMG]
    He also has giant skid feet. A lot of people don’t like this, but they actually look pretty good in person; I tried replacing the feet with smaller ones (Breacher’s feet switch out perfectly), but then they’re too small. Anyway, I like a robot that can ski.
    [​IMG]
    Transformation to copter mode is pretty simple; just fold up the robot bits and unfold the cockpit. It’s an okay mode, but kind of stumpy looking, and never looks quite right; the skids, winglets, and legs don’t peg into place, so something is always just a little uneven.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Weapon mode is an equally simple conversion, and is basically midway between robot and alt modes.
    [​IMG]
    The 5 mm peg is on a swinging mount that helps with putting him on other figures for a 2-handed grip. Unfortunately, there aren’t a lot of Voyager-class figures that have both the arm articulation as well as 5 mm fist holes. There are plenty of deluxes with those characteristics, though, and Whirl will look like an absolutely huge BFG for them. Here he is with Voyager Recon Ironhide:
    [​IMG]
    For those who are enjoying the varied mech-suit modes of the HA Basics, Whirl has a few options. My preferred style tucks the lower cockpit closer to the pilot, but it’s a matter of personal aesthetics.
    [​IMG]

Overall, he’s kind of a mixed bag. In my opinion, the bland vehicle mode is made up for by the other modes and the overall fun value.

2. orionpax636

orionpax636 What the...?

News Credits:
    As I had posted elsewhere, if this guy were blue, he'd have more than a few similarities to G1 Whirl. He has the same cockpit-torso layout as Whirl, and with his head spun 180 he has the same one-eyed look as G1 Whirl. 9.8m's last pic shows this beautifully. :thumbs2: 

Speaking of which, I hadn't tried using the rotors as his weapon yet - Thanks for showing that, I gotta try it. I haven't been convinced by most of these guys' weapon modes, but Whirl here reminds me of a rail gun like the one used in Metal Gear Solid. Looks like my Skyhammer is getting a new buddy.

3. Agent Adam

Agent Adam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That method of mounting the propeller cannon on his arm is GENIUS. I like my Whirl a lot more as a stand alone figure now, props to you sir.

4. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YES

Thanks so much for postin up pics. I know a ton of peeps scored this gem and I been patiently waiting for a pic review. THANK YOU!

This is my most awesome boss-ass bitchen kickass HA Basic yet and I cant wait to find TWO

The mnech suit mode looks better than most and the chopper looks great, the rail gun or gauss rifle...SICK

5. Geewun1

Geewun1 Well-Known Member

Totally agree with this!! :D  I am really looking forward to picking this one up! By adding the rotor on its gun, it eliminates Whirl having that "kibble" on his back, which improves the character by a 100%! :D 

But, could you please post a picture of the rail-gun mounted on its shoulder? I'd love to see how it looks! :) 

6. Snake_eyes1975

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Im going to go so far as to say, with such a CLEVER way to actually get great use out of helicopter blades, This may be one of the best helicopter TFs ever.Theres some cool ones, But this use of blades to make a weapon, especially in bot mode, Is one of the freshest attempts at doing a real good chopper. Tomahawk was good, But this is just awesome.

And look at everything else it does..MAN...I cant WAIT to find these..im an a HA junky

7. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Kinda silly that the windshield/cockpit/whatever isn't see-through... Cool figure nonetheless! I have one on the way from BBTS.

8. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    F-Yeah. Imma gonna get a few of him and arm my TFs. Getting him purely for the gauss rifle mode.

9. Agent Adam

Agent Adam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't think it looks as good clipped to the shoulder. :( 

10. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

I have yet to get an ha basic,but I plan to.I was already sold on whirl,but you made him an absolute must!

11. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Awesome use of rotor as an arm cannon! Going to go try it out!

12. Snake_eyes1975

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is one kick ass TF.

The chopper mode is stellar. Fits together real nice. One thing that I love, the rotor spins Sooooo good, I can spin it hard, and it just spins for a long time....I loooves that.

Bot mode is cool. One of the better ha basic bots.

The weapon...wow...beats backfire. It sooo reminds me of a gauss rifle from battletech or something. It's very flexible, and bigger figs can carry it a few different ways. It can be slung under arm for that big bfg look, and looks good with the handle pegged into sprime or ironhides shoulder, and whirled arms become a handle of sorts...its just kick ass

Has an unofficial mech suit mode....

This is one of the best. Can't wait for the repaint

13. Snake_eyes1975

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    found MOAR

Sorry about pic quality....cant find transfer cable for Nikon whilst wife is gone..

This guy actually has a BADDASS lil backpack copter mode for use with deluxe and voyagers..

it works SO well on some they can hold thier hands on Whirls arms like controls..

The arms actually wedge, and lock right into crankcase's shoulders, and still pegs into his back..With the rotating mechtek peg on back...im sure this would work with any fig that has a mechtek port somewhere on his back..

WHAT?!?! STARSCREAM can fly already dude..

I KNOW...I KNOW...but it dont plug into his mechtek ports on back, but the arms on whirl still allow it to sling on and he can wear it...

The HA BAsics have got to be the flexible TFs yet...

[​IMG]
    By tadave79 at 2011-06-23

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. dustbuster

dustbuster Well-Known Member

How does he look plugged into Skyhammer?

15. Snake_eyes1975

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    dunno...I dont have skyhammer...does he have a mechtek on his back?

16. delta7890

delta7890 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Love this figure. :D 

17. itMFtis

itMFtis Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Have to say that I dislike him the most of all the HA basics for far, and I have them all. My main gripes are poor midsection proportion in bot mode, ski feet, and most irritating is that the legs don't lock into anything in alt mode. So far the HA basics have been really good about having things tab in place and feeling secure in general, so I was unpleasantly surprised here.

18. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    Haha, Snake Eyes, GO-GO Gadget Copter!

19. Snake_eyes1975

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    LOL....EXACTLY what I thought at first!!..

Man...I watched the shit outta that show when I was a kid..

It really looks good on CC tho

20. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    This guy kicks so much ass, wave 2 blows away wave 1. I use him as an arm cannon for Sentinel Prime and leader Bumblebee. Neat find Snake Eyes_1975, had no idea he could be used as a jetpack!