DOTM grossed over $400.000.000 already!

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by optimusdestruction, Jul 5, 2011.

1. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm sure ticket sales are gonna start slowing down, but I bet it does hit the billion mark eventually

2. jgoss

jgoss transformers fan 4 life

i'm not surprised dotm is awesome!!

3. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Come on ONE BILLION!!!!!!

4. Metallitron

Metallitron Decepticon of Malice

News Credits:
    Pleeeeease beat out Titanic...Pleeeeease

Autobot Victory!!!! Autobot Victory!!!!

5. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    Come on! Reach the 1 billion mark! It will be a world record!

6. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    To be a world record, it will need to make 3,000,000,000 in total or 1,000,000,000 in domestic box office.

Currently, Avatar and Titanic still hold both of those records, in actual numbers:

Domestic: $760,507,625 27.3%
    Foreign: $2,021,767,547 72.7%

Titanic:
    Domestic: $600,788,188 32.6%
    Foreign: $1,242,413,080 67.4%

Of course these were the totals at the end of their lengthy cinema runs spurred on by their almost unheard of popularity. As of this writing, Dark of the Moon has been out for one week (7 days) and has made the following numbers:

Transformers - Dark of the Moon:
    Domestic: $180,651,397 43.2%
    Foreign: $237,359,667 56.8%

Good numbers for any Greek if you ask me considering that's only 7 days. I'd be willing to bet that while it won't depose Avatar, it could well kick Titanic out of slot number 2. It's got proven popularity in the US, and positive word of mouth will only help its numbers.

I foresee only two obstacles: Captain America and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows pt 2.

Otherwise, I think a good solid run is in order for TF3.

7. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    I really don't see Cap. brining in so much cash.

Potter on the other hand will destroy DOTM mark my words!

8. janeDoe001

janeDoe001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'll help! I"m gonna see it at least two more times! :D 

jD001 :lol 

9. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Captain America doesn't have to make huge business, just has to make enough to divert film goers from TF3. Honestly I think this month we really are spoiled for choice with Kung Fu Panda 2, X-Men: First Class, Transformers: Dark of the Moon, Captain America, and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

Something for EVERYONE.

10. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    That's true. I don't remember any other summer having so much to choose from!

But hey since I became a university student few days ago now I have a discount at my local cinemas so it'll be a film marathon this year :lol 

11. Jadryx

Jadryx Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah as much as I'm looking forward to Cap I think it will be more on par with the previous super-hero movies this year and maybe make something more like 400-500 million. And by the time it is released most of TF3's major business will probably already be done.

HP will be huge! It's the final installment of a highly successful series that's been generally liked by critics and fans, there's TONS of fans (there's people already camping out in London for the premiere), and it's really been marketed as the "must see event" of the summer. I'm thinking HP will be the box office winner for the summer.

TF3 still has a long way to go to get to 1 billion but if POTC can do it I don't see why TF3 can't. Those international audiences really like their 3D! It will also help that there's not much major competition coming out this weekend so there's a little more breathing room before the HP behemoth arrives.

12. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    Thing is, Transformers films are REALLY heavy with the America millitary imagery, and the whole "AMERICA FUCK YEAH!" thing, that the internationl audince really isn't a big fan of...

I think that DOTM will do better than ROTF on that part since it really isn't the millitary as more of a "bunch of random guys with guns".

But Potter will be an epic movie events, and I can't wait to see it!

13. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I think it was better received because they were NEST, guys who have worked and sweat and bled with the Autobots (although I missed the SAS guy :(  ) so we regard them more favorably than just a random division of tanks and infantry who just show up.

14. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It made me happy to see the Union flag flying next to the Stars and Stripes in ROTF, if anything I would've liked to see more international troops working with the Autobots rather than them being the personal attack dogs of the US. I missed the SAS guy too :( 

Back on topic, yeah DOTM! Imax 3D is the only way to see it, it blew my mind.

15. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    You know what would have been a really cool little opener, either in addition to or as opposed to them running riot in the Middle East, would be something like a hostage situation; kids, pregnant women, the full works of obviously innocent people being held in an old warehouse in Chechnya or something and then *BOOM*, Bumblebee, Ironhide and Mirage just fucking storm the gates and kick everyone's ass.

16. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Now that would have been much less morally objectionable than having the Autobots invade Iran :lol 

17. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    THIS. More money from the movies means TF can keep going for a good while... and produce/experiment more.

But wow... 400M in a week? That's impressive.

Another thing is that if a lot of people are seeing it in 3D... it's because it's honestly one of the few cases where it's worth it.

I've seen... six films with 3D. Only Toy Story 3, RE: Afterlife, and TF: DotM had worthwhile 3D effects in them. Really, only films that are full CG or use the more expensive 3D cameras prove to be worthwhile to watch in 3D. A LOT of movies in the past couple of years just tacked on 3D quickly/cheaply via computer editing.

18. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I'd back the claim that Dark of the Moon has the best 3D effects for a live action movie since I saw Avatar, and I think Avatar's own director agrees.

I class animation differently, How to Train Your Dragon had gorgeous 3D.