DOTM "Dinobot" Mini-Cons

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by flywheels, Jun 22, 2011.

1. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just got my new DOTM Mini-Cons from BBTS! If you like G1 homages or Mini-Cons in general I think you'll be pleased.

Random Toy Reviews - DOTM Dinobot Mini-Cons / Dualor, Rav, Triceradon & Catilla

Today I bring you the latest Dark of the Moon exclusive offering in the form of "new" Mini-Cons! Before I start I have a confession. I'm a Mini-Con whore. I love these little TFs. I've got a butt load already and I have a hard time resisting buying more...even if I already own the molds 3 times over! When these were first announced as a shared online exclusive I couldn't wait. While the dinosaur Mini-Con molds may not have the best robot modes, the dino modes are quite fun. I still can't believe it took Hasbro this long to release these toys in G1 Dinobot colors. The inclusion of Catilla is a little puzzling, but I'll take it.

[​IMG]

I can't say I'm too surprised that Hasbro chose to release these toys under the current Dark of the Moon (DOTM) banner. The packaging is really nice as it uses the Legion Class Cyberverse style. If you can get past the names you can see miniature versions of Grimlock, Swoop and Slag. 2 of the 3 names were just used in Animated so I'm surprised to see Hasbro didn't use the classic G1 names here. At least Catilla shares the name with the G1 Pretender big cat, Catilla.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dualor, or Grimlock if you will is the best of the bunch in my opinion. The paint apps on the figure are really nice. I was surprised to see that all of these toys have the old Armada Mini-Con faction symbol tampographed on them. I really wish there was a back story on these guys, but unfortunately there isn't any information given for the character outside the individual rankings. I should point out the tail on mine wants to come off really easy. My guess is this mold is starting to show some wear as it's been used several times between the U.S. and Japan markets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rav, or Swoop is a great example of a great dino mode and a horrible robot mode. You can barely see the robot's face! The best thing going for this particular toy are the colors. G1 Swoop didn't have any gold, but it still looks good overall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Triceradon, or Slag (or Snarl in Animated) also suffers from a crappy robot mode. The distance between the legs is just too much for me. He does appear to look strong with his wide upper body and fists. I'll be displaying him in dino mode.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Catilla, the "extra" figure as I see it. I like this toy. The beast mode is great and while the robot mode isn't the best it works for me. Normally I don't like it when robots have a animal head/mouth for a hand, but like Beast Wars Megatron it fits pretty good here. I like how the lower jaw is painted silver as well as the little cannon inside the mouth. Overall the use of the silver paint really helps break up the gold plastic and gives a better robotic look. I also love the square shaped head. It reminds me of the G1 Scramble City toys (Combaticons, Stunticons, Terrorcons, Protectobots, Aerialbots). I thought my favorite version of this toy was Snow Cat, but I'd have to put Catilla up there at the top now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The question at hand is should you buy them? For me the answer was easy for all the reasons I listed in the opening paragraph. $5.00 per figure may be a little pricey for what you get, but the colors are really nice and the G1 homage is probably enough to entice some collector's to buy these even if they don't collect Mini-Cons. At the time of this posting you can grab the set via Amazon.com/Entertainment Earth for a little cheaper than what I paid so what are you waiting for?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  2. AlanGarou

AlanGarou Well-Known Member

You're supposed to post the review here, not link to your blog.

3. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Full review added.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  4. OCProwl

OCProwl Electrobot

News Credits:
    Cute dinos but the bots are too silly looking. Easy pass.

Not to sound overly negative: thanks for the review though! :) 

5. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cool, wasn't expecting DOTM packaging.

6. Akroyer

Akroyer Well-Known Member

Cool, I was wondering what the packages were like

7. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You're mistransforming Swoop's robot mode. He's got tiny fists molded towards the poiny parts of the wings. The dino-feet should be shoulder kibble, not robot hands. It makes him look like he's wielding blades in robot mode, which helps a little, IMO.

I didn't even open the other three, but I think Swoop makes a great addition to the Classics Dinobots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As a minicon, he can even peg onto Grimstone's combined mode.

8. EmperorDinobot

EmperorDinobot I claim your sun!

I have the Classics of these, and I think they suck. Best left in Dinosaur mode. Swoop is a POS. A serious POS. What the F possessed the designers into making an agile TF into a bloody block? Yeah yeah the transformation blah blah...I've heard it before. Swoop sucks. And the Triceratops one is just ugly as hell. Terrorsaur/Dualor/ETc is the nicer one, and they should have given it knee articulation.

9. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    I like fugly robot modes, and I love prehistoric creatures, so I might pick up a few of these, particularly "Swoop" and "Snarl." Actually, if I can ever find him, I'd buy Grimstone and get just "Swoop" to be his Minicon partner.

By the way, what exactly IS "Swoop's" bot-mode face? Backwards-pteranodon-that's-still-basically-a-pteranodon head, or that silver blotch that I thought was his neck?

10. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Where can I find these at retail?

11. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

Yeah, but it's a minicon, not a bloody deluxe. There's only so much they can do and have it able to transform at all.

Back of the neck. Close the pteranodon mouth and you can see it better.

It didn't sound like there was a retail release planned. Maybe dollar stores, like the last set of individual minicon releases? (Supposedly. I had to buy those online too.)

12. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I just go these - I like them too - was surprised to find them in the UK - fingers crossed the other vehicle derived ones show up too.

13. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Indeed. I got mine from Kerrison Toys in Great Yarmouth back in the middle of June. What did you pay? Mine were £2.99 each.
    Which ones were those? You mean like Drive Train, Swashplate and Break-Neck? Although I think those were sort-of Generations, at least the packaging style was, if not specifically titled as such, so you probably mean something else.