DOTM deluxes....is it me?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Bathawk, May 16, 2011.

1. Bathawk

Bathawk Well-Known Member

i know I can be reactionary when it comes to something "different" in Transformers. But I honestly do try to step back and look at how I'm reacting before i blurt somethign out. So really trying to see if I'm "alone" or not

my local Target got the new DOTM figures today, and having for the most part avoided reviews, went in expecting/hoping to be amazed

Well maybe that's too strong a word, I have been trying to track down the most recent generations figs, and realize that will be even harder now for the duration of movie season...but still wanted to see if I can find something to sate my Transformers fix

First off is the packaging, difficulty ratings have been scaled back from 1-5, to 1-3. Tech Specs/Bios have been sperated (bio on the card, specs on the side insert of the bubble

Next they seem...smaller, , not by much, but with the Mudflap and Darkmount figs i had to compare with, the DOTM deluxes seemed to have...shrunk. I'm hoping that it's mainly just because of the oversized mech weapon gimmicks. Don't care for them (I've been spoiled by being able to hide my weapons with my gernerations figs)...but that's not somethign i would ignore a toy for

looking on the packaging backs, the Wreckers look awesome...maybe a good chunk of back kibble, but, but they look really dynamic in robot modes, pending thier movie appearance, these may be the only DOTM deluxes I get

But looking at Bumblebee, Barricade, and Sideswipe, they look very stiff, even "simplified" compared to thier ROTF toys, very "chunky", i would have thought with thier "gimmick"s on the outside (battle blades, launching Frenzy) i would think/hope that the toys would look better, not worse (Sideswipe as a convertible, really looks like someone broke the roof off his previous version, a la a G1 Bluestreak/Prowl

Not that I think it's all bad, Shockwave and...the helicopter guy? looked pretty cool, And I'll definitely have to get Sentinel Prime

still... my observations are based on what I can see on the pegs....how do you folks who have purchased the deluxes feel once you get them home?

2. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Welcome to the forums for the past few months. Seriously. This is basically been discussion that keeps popping up every other day since we first saw the leaked pictures.

People tend to not like older characters with new deluxe molds, but like the new character molds. For example, people dislike the Sideswipe mold mostly because it's entirely that ugly prototype gray and not the sexy silver from ROTF. However, the Shockwave and Skyhammer voyagers are getting love, and Leader Sentinel is sought after.

But I don't speak for everyone. Many people enjoy the simplification and the mechtech. Some don't.

3. Gligamesh51

Gligamesh51 @ThatGuyNeedaHam

News Credits:
    Check out cyberverse instead, so much play in those little guys.

4. seali_me

seali_me Buhawi Gabay-Tala

found two wreck-gars and an RTS grapple today. the latter was really unexpected.

as for the DOTM deluxes, in my area its an entire dollar pricier than rotf. i avoid those as much as possible. i checked out the back of them as well just for kicks. nothing interesting but the weapons. the weapons do look awesome. the toy itself is meh.

i'd stick with voyagers and leaders. some HA and maybe the basics.

5. Cool Hand Lube

Cool Hand Lube Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, all the figures have shrunk a bit. The voyagers remind me of the now defunct $15 Mega scale, and the deluxes are more of a beefed up scout now. Oh well, them's the breaks! The figures are fun though!

6. Bathawk

Bathawk Well-Known Member

well glad I'm not alone, I do try to avoid the forums except in the "sightings" section. I find it too easy to get caught up in flame wars

I'm just hoping DOTM deluxes don't become the new "standard". One one hand the cars look much more to scale, which isn't a bad thing....but those goofy weapons....

I'd hate for say, that future "gernerations" will be the same price, smaller size just sans goofy weapon

7. Charsiupao

Charsiupao Well-Known Member

I found Deluxe Crankcase to be pretty much in scale with ROTF Deluxe Ironhide. They do look tiny in the packaging, though. I haven't quite gotten a deluxe car to compare with the old cars, though.

Scout Ironhide was awesome, though - in addition to looking really like his movie self, he's also in perfect scale with the Legends Bee, Sideswipe, Jolt etc.. even the abomination Jazz. I hope we get a Scout Ratchet soon too.. and some of the other older cool larger Decepticons like Rampage and Bonecrusher too. Would be a more realistic dream than wanting them all in Voyager =)

8. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I welcome any reduction in complexity for the deluxes - now kids might have a hope of actually ENJOYING their figures and not spending an hour or so trying to get all the parts aligned back into place.

Hasbro have done the right thing in remembering that kids are the primary target audience. Adult fans have lots to drool over - Generations, Masterpiece, Human Alliance etc.

9. MisfitRobot

MisfitRobot Robot Fighter

News Credits:
    The figure really isn't shorter , but it definitely has a lot less mass in the toy. The robots arms and legs are smaller but this allows him a greater range of movement.

[​IMG]

I don't have all of the deluxe yet so I'm really only speaking for sideswiped and topspin but they are incredible figures!

I originally was going to skip sideswiped because his paint job was so lacking and the details were also lacking in comparison to the revenge of the fallen deluxe.

However what he lacks in paint and detail he makes up for in articulation and playability.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've been very surprised, I'm still planning on repaint him because his colors are just wrong, but the toys stands and poses the way I always wish the original sideswiped could.

[​IMG]

10. Charsiupao

Charsiupao Well-Known Member

Aren't Generations Deluxes too? Human Alliance sadly doesn't have enough variety for us scalenuts to try and collect a set - apparently they're never going to make anything bigger than a saloon for that scale. Tragic, as the quality is great.