DotM Deluxe Optimus Prime (Wal-Mart Exclusive)

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by cybernaut, May 22, 2011.

1. cybernaut

cybernaut Well-Known Member

Wal-Mart Exclusive DotM Deluxe Optimus Prime

Notes:
    - To the mods, I not sure if there's already an existing feedback thread for this particular Prime. If there is, kindly move this to the appropriate section. Thanks!
    - Credit is due to Cybertron Philippines where this review first appeared.

Transformers Dark of the Moon Deluxe-class Optimus Prime

My obsession with Bayverse Prime will never cease apparently. No matter how much I gripe and complain, I find myself ending up with a ton of toy incarnations of the Bayverse’s face-taking Autobot leader. Case-in-point: DotM Deluxe Optimus Prime

[​IMG]

Optimus Prime
    Allegiance: Autobot
    Function: Autobot Commander(?)

Bio
    Optimus Prime, the leader of the Autobots, earned the right to be called a Prime by virtue of his courage, intelligence and skill in battle. But the discovery of the long-missing Sentinel Prime means he may have to share his role as commander. The Decepticons don’t stand a chance with these two mighty Autobots fighting side by side!

Tech Specs
    Strength: 10
    Intelligence: 10
    Speed: 7
    Endurance: 10
    Courage: 10
    Firepower: 10
    Skill: 9

Ehhh… Not one of the best Optimus Prime bios, but it gets the job done.

In and Out of Package

[​IMG]
    In package, front (left) and back (right)

[​IMG]
    Out of package, showing the list of contents

Alternate Mode

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Front / side and Rear / side views.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Size comparison with HftD Battle Blades Prime and DotM Voyager Prime

[​IMG]
    Size comparison with other “Deluxe” level Bay-verse Primes: FAB Powerhook Prime and RotF FAB Double Blade Prime

[​IMG]
    Size comparison with RtS Deluxe “G2” Prime

• Alternate mode is, I assume, still a Peterbuilt 379 Long-nose Truck, done in dark blue and that pinkish red plastic that Hasbro’s been fond of using lately. The windows are clear plastic.
    • Just like RtS G2 Prime, it is a small deluxe, but still a whole lot bigger than scout class.
    • Plastic used on toy is noticeably of lower quality compared to earlier TF Movie toys, but that’s pretty much normal already for TF’s nowadays…
    • Paint apps on the truck mode are decent. The recognizable flame paintjob is still there and, surprisingly, a good amount of metallic silver paint apps, from the grill, fuel tanks smokestacks, even the wheel rims. I just wish they’d also painted the “headache rack” behind the sleeper cab (they become Prime’s arms in bot mode) silver as well.
    • Truck mode is solid, no floppy bits. All six wheels touch the ground and roll nicely. Ground clearance is pretty low, but not enough for the bits to scrape the ground / table / surface / what have you.
    • One thing of note is what seems to be trailer hitch on the back of the truck, which may be for an intended trailer somewhere down the line.

[​IMG]
    With Mech-Tech accessory attached.

[​IMG]
    With Mech-Tech accessory from DotM Voyager Optimus Prime

[​IMG]
    With C-Clip weapons from TF:G Darkmount and RtS Tracks

• In truck mode, Prime has two available Mech-Tech ports, two on the roof of the sleeper section. Unlike some DotM deluxes, no panel pops up to cover the holes.
    • The Mech-Tech blaster can be attached on the roof of the truck, though like most Mech-Tech weapons, looks quite out of place (and, as an axe, quite useless).
    • For those curious, the smokestacks have hard points for weapons with C-clip attachments. It’s just a bummer that due to the how the attachment points are molded, only a few C-Clip weapons will look good on the truck (and bot) mode.

Transformation

• Transformation scheme is engaging and fun. There are some new tricks here, which results in the robot mode looking a bit awkward in places. It’s a whole new setup, which is intuitive given the size, but leaves a whole chunk of truck in the back, ala, TftM Voyager Prime. At least he has no fake kibble; the truck windows actually become his chest armor.
    • There’s a bit of spring-loaded auto-morph in the chest where pulling the chest halves apart pops up the head. Nice, but I can’t help but think it was unnecessary.

Robot Mode

[​IMG]
    Robot mode, Front view (right) and Back view (Left)

[​IMG]
    Close-up of head and upper body details.

• Like the vehicle mode, this mode is nice and compact, nothing flopping around, except perhaps a slight shakiness in the chest portion due to the automorph.
    • The ENTIRE nose of the truck does not in any way transform, but hinges up on Prime’s back. It makes him somewhat back-heavy.
    • Optimus Prime’s robot mode manages to resemble his on-screen model, though the chest is quite square-ish, thanks to those blue panels on his sides. The arms are different and have Mech-Tech ports, while those blue shoulder pylons look awkward as stand-ins for those metal things Movie Prime has on his shoulders. Oh and those wheels on Prime’s thighs are gone.
    • The sculpted detail is quite good, if a bit stylized in places. He really needs decent paint apps to improve his colors. As it is, aside from the scant paint highlights, everything in bot mode is the stock plastic color. The arms look bare, being cast in one shade of plastic with some feeble red detailing. The head DOES have excellent blue light piping for such a busy headsculpt.
    • He’s a small deluxe, but still a bigger than scout class. Think RtS G2 Prime, though this is slightly bigger and IMHO, better in some ways.

[​IMG]
    Size comparison with HftD Battle Blades Prime and DotM Voyager Prime

[​IMG]
    Size comparison with other “Deluxe” level Bay-verse Primes: FAB Powerhook Prime and RotF FAB Double Blade Prime

[​IMG]
    Size comparison with RtS Deluxe “G2” Prime

• Prime has good articulation, with useful joints. The arms have a good range of motion, thanks to the double-hinged elbows. The legs are okay though the awkward foot setup, as well as the lack of any ankle articulation or heel spurs, makes posing tricky.

[​IMG]
    Posed, showing the extent of articulation

[​IMG]
    Kick-test, PASSED!

Points of Articulation:
    Neck: 360° swivel joint
    Shoulders: Universal rotators with another set of hinges for lateral arm movement
    Arms: Swivel biceps, double-hinged elbows, no wrist rotation
    Torso: Waist movement restricted by backpack / truck nose.
    Legs: Ball-jointed hips, thigh swivels, 90° hinged knees, no ankle movement, but has toe ?) rotation.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Mech-Tech weapon stowed (top) and deployed (bottom).

[​IMG]
    Outfitted with DotM Voyager Prime’s Mech-Tech weapon and TF:G Darkmount’s C-Clip weapons

• The Mech-Tech weapon is initially some sort of blaster with a scope. Pulling the scope forward engages what the package calls an “Energon Axe”. It can be mounted on Prime’s forearm or held in his hand. Prime can also use any Mech-Tech weapon from other DotM toys.
    • Unfortunately, like all Deluxe Mech-Tech weapons, there is no way to lock the weapon in the “Axe” configuration.
    • Prime sort of loses the universal C-clip system connectivity, since the smokestacks are now on his back, obstructed by the shoulders.

Verdict

[​IMG]

Apparently a Wal-Mart Exclusive, DotM Deluxe Prime is a pretty decent mold. It’s got a great truck mode and a good robot mode. There are nifty ideas here and there, but the lower-quality plastic and sparse paint apps bring the figure down. Considering that he’s a bit more expensive than a regular deluxe (at least at local Philippine SRP), some may have misgivings on paying for another DotM Prime, given his size and especially if one already has the Voyager version.

Despite the small size and missing detailing though, I’d still say he’s worth a look, especially for those looking for a handy DotM Prime to fiddle with. The truck mode is nice (better than the Voyager, IMHO) and the bot mode is fun to fiddle with. While it may not be the best Movie Prime out there, it’s not a bad choice either.

Grade

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] out of [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Jya na!

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  2. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    All that grey plastic.... Ewwwwwww.

3. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Ehh...the truck mode looks off moreso than the robotmode.

4. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm on the fence - not a fan of either the CVC or Voy mold, but I wanna new Prime for DotM.

Guess it'll come down to his price in the states...

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Not bad. Sculpt is about your average deluxe. He has a lot of paints apps in vehicle mode. I'm uncertain as to why his lower arms aren't cast in red. :confused: 

Also I think the trailer hitch is just for accuracy. Every Prime has it.

6. GAUGE

GAUGE In Art, Nothing Is Impossible.

News Credits:
    pass.

7. Goldlock

Goldlock and don't call me Shirley

News Credits:
    The Japanese release of this comes with a trailer, so it is useable.

I quite like it; not the most accurate Prime, but for a deluxe he's a good representation. The only gripes I have are the paint apps, but like Megatron, a bit of customising should do wonders IMO. :p 

8. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    well, the bot mode is better proportioned then the voyager. that's about the nicest thing i can say about him...

9. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    This is the same Prime that presumably comes with the Japanese Chronicles bundle, so voyager Optimus' trailer should be compatible

10. chuckcjc

chuckcjc Wheeljack Engineer Corp.

News Credits:
    Looks amazing, can't wait to see him in person!

11. Housewife2000

Housewife2000 Fandom, combine!

Great review and pictures. Any chance of a comparison shot with Voyager Megs in their respective truck modes? They look like they should scale well.

12. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I was planning on getting this, until I picked up the Voyager Battle Hooks.

13. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Voyager trailer will be too big and probably not level since the wheels and height will be different. Deluxe Prime is supposed to come with his own trailer.

[​IMG]

14. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    wow, chuck, i can't recall the last time i saw a post from you!

15. cybernaut

cybernaut Well-Known Member

Updated with more pics!

Once again, thanks for the appreciation, guys.

Admittedly, the abundance of "Hasbro Gray" plastic doesn't bother me as much as it hought when I picked him up. What does peeve me more is Hasbro's Pinkish-red" (see TFU G1 Pinkimus Prime) plastic, since it looks so KO-ish, especially on this Prime. That and I still wish those truck sun visors could tilt up to offset the downward slant of the chest armor.

Looking at the toy, Hasbro could've gone and done the forearms in red (pinkish-red, most likely...) plastic, but we'd end up with red fists too... If Hasbro decided to paint that, then the budget for the shiny metallic silver paint would've suffered... :p 

Thanks for reading. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten around to buying a DotM Voyager Megs. Maybe during this weekend's next DotM Mall Tour stop, I might pick one up. I hear Megs is quite good.

jya na!

16. Transquito

Transquito Reach For The Light TFW2005 Supporter

Nice review!
    Sadly I'll probably pass up on this.. thing
    Optimus is generally my favourite transformers and I have dedicated 3 shelfs to my Phram's.. (see what I did there?.. oh.. never mind :(  .. )

Let me be honest, I've seen better looking Fast Action Battlers than this figure.

17. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    The backpack REALLY ruins it.

And what's with the big Movie Exclusive sticker? Moresoe, what is with the white box on the front of the package, what are you censoring?

18. rego0012

rego0012 Well-Known Member

he looks like he has a vest on =D

the only reason i sorta want this guy is so i can have a movie prime in all size classes...which isnt a good enough reason for me to hunt one down

19. Charsiupao

Charsiupao Well-Known Member

Could you take a pic of him with a Legends car such as Leadfoot, Bumblebee or Crowbar to see how well they scale together? I always thought a Deluxe Prime would fit perfectly with the Legends cars (and Cyberverse Commander Ironhide).

20. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This movie is starting to remind me of another Spielberg movie...
    [​IMG]

But at least there's not a car with engines coming out of the back...
    [​IMG]

Okay, okay - at least there's not a crazy mad scientist character that's always inventing weird things...