Minor/Repaint: DOTM Deluxe Mirage custom

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by NEST SOLDIER, Apr 10, 2012.

1. NEST SOLDIER

NEST SOLDIER IRONHIDE'S DRIVER

Since September I had the idea to do a custom Mirage, but couldn't find a deluxe figure that would quite fit the character. After six months of research, I finally settled on the TFP DLX Wheeljack, which is as close to a Ferrari Italia 458 in 1/32 scale that I could find.

The base figure is primed, and I'm allowing it to cure before moving on to the rest of the paint apps. The head will be a heavily modified HA Sandstorm. I'm also scratch building his sniper rifle from the DOTM game. I'll post more pics once he's complete.

I'm also doing a 1/24 scale HA Mirage, but that figure wont be ready for several months.

I appreciate any feedback or assistance, as this is my first major custom that I've attempted.

UPDATE: Okay, First coat of paint is on, however my tape peeled away and allowed paint to get on the wheels and windshield. Thankfully, it can be touched up, and I had already planned on painting the wheels a gloss black anyway. The rims weren't damaged, so I'm moving along.

Should be complete by the end of this month.

Attached Files:

2. myykee2004

myykee2004 Well-Known Member

nice... gonna keep watch on this, and maybe learn some new things to improve.. seeing how my mirage custom turned out to be.,. good luck.. =)

3. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

Cant wait.

4. lhandlott

lhandlott Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Looking good cant waut to see it . By the way What did you use to prime ? I'm having difficulties priming that same figure .

5. NEST SOLDIER

I used Testors all purpose spray enamel in flat gray. The can number is 1237. I washed the figure in warm, soapy water, then used 91% rubbing alcohol to further clean it before rinsing it again.

I didn't remove the factory paint apps. I applied the first coat , then waited like three hours and applied a second. I would recommend using Enamel paint , and if possible, removing the wheels also.

6. UltraMagnus2008

UltraMagnus2008 Autobot

News Credits:
    Are you changing anything other than his head?

7. micky24

micky24 Well-Known Member

someone already noticed this figure,i hope it would turn out very well.cant wait for this.

8. NEST SOLDIER

The original plan was to alter his arm configuration, By replacing the existing arms with another set from DLX Bee so that the outer door shell swung up and back out of the way.

However, I have been unable to find a pin that is wide enough to accomplish this.

I'm also making a custom sniper rifle and wrist blades for him.

His wheels may get swapped out eventually, but I'm not in any big hurry to do that. I just wanted a deluxe Mirage to add to my Autobots.

9. neevnav

neevnav The Flying Dutchman

News Credits:
    Nice! Can't wait to see it! Going to start working on mine soon, so maybe I'll bounce some ideas off of you.

10. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out! We all need Dino!!! :) 

11. NEST SOLDIER

Thanks man. I'm not rushing this one. I'm a little concerned about the laquer having an effect on the enamel primer, but I think it'll be okay in the end. It's gotta cure for two more days before I open it up to touch up some areas that didn't get primed correctly, then I'll begin painting.

I'm gonna use Italian red , and gunmetal for the robot mode. I'll finish it off with black window tint and glosscote.

12. Taiki

Taiki Well-Known Member

heh. can't wait to see this. XD
    /camps with popcorn

13. Axel990

Axel990 Lord of Unicorns

News Credits:
    Agreed. I've been keeping a keen eye on all the DOTM Mirage customs. Since Hasbro called of Wheeljack and Soundwave, its quite obvious Mirage was never gonna happen for reals.

At least here I'll get to see him in toy form :) 

14. LSyd

LSyd Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    looks good so far. any updates? i've been planning this same project myself for a while now, hopefully i can do it this winter.

-