Minor/Repaint: DOTM Deluxe Bumblebee

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by areaseven, Apr 28, 2011.

1. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I got my Dark of the Moon Deluxe Bumblebee over a month ago. At first, I wanted to hate this figure, as I had perceived it as a severely dumbed-down version of the awesome Battle Blade Bumblebee from the 2010 Hunt for the Decepticons line. Out of the packaging, it lacks heavily in colors due to it having less parts than its predecessor. So I did what most others would - paint it.

Upon grabbing my paints, brushes and screwdriver, I realized that this figure is easier to disassemble than last year's. Unlike the Battle Blade version, each leg on this one needs only three screws and does not use any annoying rivets (except on the wheels, of course). I put two coats of Mr. Color #33 Flat Black on the yellow parts (one coat on the gray parts) before topping them with a coat of Mr. Metal Color #214 Dark Iron. Once the Dark Iron dried, I took a toothbrush and polished the parts.

As a result of the paint job, DOTM Bumblebee looks much better. There's still a lot more work to do on this figure, but here are some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a comparison shot of the 2010 and 2011 Deluxe Bumblebee figures.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. micky24

micky24 Well-Known Member

xD why not paint the face?i mean its awesome but personally it doesnt match the body's color xD

3. 12bulkhead

12bulkhead Artist

Kick ASS!!!! Hey, I've been thinkin, I've done a number of mods on my HFTD BB. Could you at the least examine your DOTM BB and see if they're possible? If not, you could try the HFTD one.

• Just behind the shoulders, right next to the door/wing joint, there's a screw attaching that part to the body underneath. Along where it's attached to the body, cut the top layer of plastic just up to the round bit where the screw is. After that, and a little smoothing, you can rotate that wing part inwards for accuracy.

Remember, examine for the screw and layout. If it's not there, don't do it, man!!!

4. 12bulkhead

12bulkhead Artist

If you're nervous about it, you could always PM me and I'll see if I can mod it?

5. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I'll be doing that next.

6. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Very nice work, this is exactly what I hope to do.

By the way, is it possible to swap the heads between those two Bees?

7. MonkeyBusiness

MonkeyBusiness Autobot Engineer

I was on the fence about this guy, but your paintwork makes him look phenomenal. It looks like you can probably carry over a few of the mods from the HFTD BBBee like the ball joint thigh plates and ball joint chest pretty easily too.

8. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for all the compliments. I've already repainted the face Dark Iron, which came out a bit dark, but much better than the original silver.

As mentioned earlier, disassembling the legs is very easy. Annoyingly, the same cannot be said about the arms. The forearm guards appear to be glued to the forearms, which is gonna be a PITA to paint the bottom of the Mech Tech ports. Also, I was planning to saw off the window nets, but seeing how badly-proportioned the clear door windows are, I decided not to.

9. micky24

micky24 Well-Known Member

the thigh parts are already good i guess,and i think some of the HFTD bb mods cant be done in here like for example his back(mini wing mods) he has those 2 thing things on his back connected at his roof,then his arm guard thing that were glued like areaseven said,but who would know maybe someone in this forum would/might do something about it =D

10. THEdeathsHEAD

THEdeathsHEAD Lockdown's #1 Fan

Can you switch the heads?

EDIT:YES! You can do it,all you need to do is tighten the ball joint with super glue.
    Can't wait to see him finished! :thumb 

11. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just did some painting on my three Deluxe Bumblebees. So far, the DOTM version looks much better than the day I bought it. But of the three, the DOTM BB is the weakest in terms of quality, detail and display value.

Sadly, my Battle Blade BB is nursing a foot injury. While I was doing some detailing on his car mode, I noticed that the right foot developed a huge crack. During transformation, it just went brittle and fell off the hinge. This is the one thing I hate about Hasbro's plastics: they don't mix well with hobby paints.

Here's a comparison shot between the three. As soon as I'm done with some details, I'll send these three to my local hobby shop for them to spray the car panels.

[​IMG]
    (from left): 2007 Transformers Deluxe Bumblebee, 2010 Hunt for the Decepticons Deluxe Battle Blade Bumblebee, 2011 Dark of the Moon Deluxe Bumblebee